So... they dropped my boat!

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
I was having my Fantasia 35 hauled out yesterday, for a refit, on a travel-lift.

They managed to drop the boat out of the front sling, and the bow dropped about 3 feet onto concrete. Ouch!

I've looked at the "Lamination Schedule" for the boat, and an outline of the "Accommodation Design", both of which indicate ballast is located at the area where the impact occurred, roughly where the keel to bow curve begins.

My question is, can anyone enlighten me on what type of ballast, and how it's configured? I'm trying to figure out if it will have spread the impact shockwave, or if it's likely to have caused massive hull cracks. I don't want to have to remove my fuel tank, because of course that's going to wreck the teak interior!

I'm insured, but the better informed I am, the better chance of a good diagnosis. Love the boat, but I don’t want the bow to suddenly fall off! That would be an even worse surprise.

Can anyone help me out?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Sorry no idea but the two surveyors, yours and your insurance companys will. Make sure you get at least two professional opinions not counting the marinas surveyor.
Hope it all turns out ok.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Seems like their insurance should be covering the survey and any needed repairs unless you where in charge of the haul out? On the other hand, I'd make sure my insurance company was involved too since the surveyor will be paid by their insurance company and may likely be biased towards them. Just like any survey, the surveyor works for the guy who is paying him and its not always in the buyers best interest to get a survey arranged for and paid by the seller.

Its kind of like a car accident on this one. Seems they are at fault and should incur all the costs to remedy. A yard damaged my furler during a haul out (an excellent yard by the way) and they replaced it with a brand new furler at no charge to me, no questions asked. Of course I was spending about $16,000 at the yard in repairs from a lightning strike.