So that we may reminisce during the winter

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Hi Justin, ditto here. Needed a SS fender washer to complete a repair while docked in Anacortes due to a hard landing during a blow awhile ago. Could not find one in my parts bin, so trucked over to WM. Price for one was just under $4. Sheesh! Had to choke, but bought it anyway because it was needed. A few days later I stopped by Harbor Marine in Everett to pick up a few extras for my parts bin at a more acceptable $0.45 each.
My God what size fender washer was it for that price??????

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
WM is like a convenience store for boaters. when you need something fast and close they may have it, but at a ridicules price.
Alas I have used them for that very reason.
But my go to source is usually Defender and Jamestown. As for electronics I have several wholesale accounts.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
My God what size fender washer was it for that price??????
One inch in diameter with a 1/2" center hole. It was for our standard size (8" D X 22" L) with a center hole. Washer prevents the bottom knot from pulling through the center hole when under stress.

A high wind was blowing towards the Cap Sante reciprocal dock in Anacortes when I came into tie up. The moving boat placed a hard bite on the fender when we landed, hard enough to snap the 1/2' poly line. Recovered the fender but had to purchase a pair of new fender lines plus that very special washer.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Terry, for future consideration..next block south is Sebos hardware. Next block south is Piston auto parts. Us locals always hit Piston first

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sebos hardware
Hi Mark, been into Sebos before, but not Piston. Should have gone there, but I also needed a fender rope like the ones WM sells. Live and learn, I suppose. Harbor Marine in Everett carries lots of stuff at more reasonable prices than WM. Boaters Discount in La conner is my go to place for fasteners and related parts. If I want new rope, or larger appliances I'll go to Defender.

Nov 29, 2012
Bilge, diesel, epoxy, seaweed, sweat on vinyl, chlorine bleach in a scrub bucket and creosote are some of my favorite smells.
I also love the smell of horse, cow and chickens.
I've lost the ability to smell most bad odors (It really frustrates my wife. No more, "does this smell bad to you?") because of the last bicycle face plant I did about 7 years ago. That was concussion number 6. I think I'm done with concussions. It took awhile, but I've decided I don't like doing things I can't remember doing afterwards. I've had a lot less headaches this last year so I'm getting better, but my smeller is getting worse. Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to smell the bilge handle. Creosote would still work, I think.
(note: this picture shows pilings that were put in upside down).

-Will (Dragonfly)
What is the upside down clue?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pilings should go in wide end down. They are less likely to pull out and have a more solid footing. They also take longer to rot through because there is more material in the water.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
And anyone in a club... Ask ur local wm about a "port supply" account... Makes prices much more competitive

May 23, 2016
Nope. Pay as u go. Discounts are steeper on "maintenance" items... Not much on electronics... I'm in our local wm often enough that sometimes when I there for jus a handful of hw the manager doesn't bother to ring me up

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh No... @glaufman So could that be the reason the last CEO go quit? The profits going to Island Park NY... Oh no.... Just heard they have a new CEO... May he be as nice to your NY boys as the old guy...:biggrin::liar:;)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Pilings should go in wide end down.
Negative, Will... Maybe "down under they do". Or local laws or depth of water a factor, but in Annapolis they recently rebuilt our marina. The specs called for 12 inch pilings. In order to have "12s", they had to taper down from 14, the end that is above water. The first bulkhead and slips they rebuilt were of my row. Somewhere along the way it was decided the 12 inch should have not been the smallest diameter, but the largest. They had to finish out my row with the 14s, so we are well built. Now the slips up to 50 feet are 10/12s. For once, I came out on the big end of the stick:dancing:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ron, are you saying the specs called for the narrow end down or just that the narrow end was the 12" end and they put that end down?
One of my best friends in Clearwater was the son of Bob Ress, a long time family friend who owned and operated Ress Marine Construction (https://www.ressmarine.com). Bob often pointed out docks and piers with pilings put in narrow end down and he'd shake his head and explain why the pilings were upside down. His son now runs the business.
Bob was perpetually complaining about the regs coming out of Tallahassee. He said it gets too where the only people who can get approval for new construction are the ones willing to pay a little extra to "grease" the wheels of bureaucracy. Of course this was in the 70's. Regulations and codes change.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
Oh No... @glaufman So could that be the reason the last CEO go quit? The profits going to Island Park NY... Oh no.... Just heard they have a new CEO... May he be as nice to your NY boys as the old guy...:biggrin::liar:;)
Lol John... Trust me they still get me paying for plenty of expensive stuff... But the official discount keeps them competitive enough to keep going back to support them to keep some chandlery 2mins from club... Next nearest one might be 20 mins away (each way).. And when you drop that part and can't finish the job...