So that we may reminisce during the winter

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
People swear by WM, but I don't see the attraction. I visit them when I am in a city that has one, but I usually come out empty handed.
I don't get it either. They were bought out by a private equity firm a year of so ago. Since then they have been trying with lower prices sometimes. They do have flash sales and the prices are pretty good on those sales, but it is hit or miss when you want something.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I pass two WM on the 45minute drive to the boat. The close one is just 200’ from the dock gate. It’s handy if I need some small hardware, bu nothing major. Harbor Marine is a 3 minute car ride away if I need better selection of bolts, screws, crimp fittingsor wire.

Les

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
when I've been in WM lately, if I need two, they have one, if I need three, they have two And one is the wrong size. But hey- the clothing line is expanding nicely

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
West Marine, since being bought out they will match any legitimate competions pricing. Best part is they'll ship to your local store for free. This summer I bought 90' of 1/4" G4 chain. WM wanted $4.99 ft, we went to Defenders web site walked out of the store paying $2.64 ft. for the same chain. Sales rep told to come back anytime & they'd match the price. Doesn't get much better than that.

Jan 11, 2014
I pass two WM on the 45minute drive to the boat. The close one is just 200’ from the dock gate. It’s handy if I need some small hardware, bu nothing major. Harbor Marine is a 3 minute car ride away if I need better selection of bolts, screws, crimp fittingsor wire.

Les
I'm jealous. The hardware store nearest my boat is 15 miles away. The nearest big box hardware store is 20 miles away. The nearest boating store of any size is 45 miles away and WM is about 60 miles away.

On the plus side I can order from Defender by 4 pm and have it the next day without paying for overnight delivery.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think WM serves the Marine industry. It is up to us consumers to decide if it is the best resource for our need. Certainly it has saved me time when I needed something to solve a boat problem. And occasionally i have found great deals.

I know that SBO member @Stu Jackson has gotten his monies worth over the lifetime of his boat binocular usage. I was there to observe and participate (perhaps my mistake) in the return replacement of a record 8th unit. :clap:

SO love them or hate them, I am glad they are there...

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
WM bashing aside, they had some pretty good deals recently. 15% off of a Mantus anchor on BLK Friday. Also got my Lehr dingy outboard for half price that day. Also got their brand of PG (-60 and -100) for a reasonable price earlier this fall plus free shipping. Don't have any of their stores locally, and I buy more from Defender on a regular basis, but the deals are there.

Jan 11, 2014
This just in last week from WM:

West Marine Hires Veteran Retailer Ken Seipel as CEO
Watsonville, CA, Dec 5, 2018 - – West Marine, the world’s largest premier boating supply retailer, has hired retail executive Ken Seipel as CEO. Seipel is an experienced leader with a strong track record helping grow privately held retail companies, as well as Fortune 500 brands. He was most recently CEO of Gabe’s and prior to that held executive positions with a wide range of retail organizations including Old Navy, Target and JCPenney.

“It is an honor to join the West Marine team. For more than 50 years, West Marine has been the best outfitter of boating-related products and gear. I am excited to lead the brand as we strengthen our market position in boating products, improve our customer value proposition, and enhance our core customers ability to make the most of their boating experience,” said Seipel.

In addition to his extensive retail experience, Ken is an avid outdoorsman, and enjoys farming and amateur photography. He has served on numerous community boards and participates as a volunteer for the United Way, Salvation Army and youth athletics.
https://www.westmarine.com/PressRoom/PR20181205

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I just received an email notification from WM containing a survey of the “how are we doing” variety. One of the questions obviously concerned their pricing, followed by questions regarding frequency of shopping, and where else I shopped. (I wonder if they might be attempting to become more competitive.)
I have noticed the stores “creeping” more and more into the clothing business. It kind of reminds me of the way Land’s End went back in the day.
Then there is the inventory problem already mentioned; when you need two of something, they only stock one, etc. Also sailing related hardware is becoming nearly noexistant.

Oct 22, 2014
@DougM I heard rumors of that marketing direction last year before the Canadian investors took over. They saw their future more as a boat sports store than a nautical chandler. There was a change in stocking with more paddle board equipment, expanded display of clothing, shoes, etc.

There has been a real emphasis on impulse buy displays as you approach the checkout and a marketing effort in “lowest price” and use of in-store online shopping with staff using their stocking inventory system to move product to you from nearby by warehouse or other stores.

Time will tell if this strategy will prove successful. The online surveys are a way to judge if the strategy is working.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
People swear by WM, but I don't see the attraction. I visit them when I am in a city that has one, but I usually come out empty handed.
Hi Justin, ditto here. Needed a SS fender washer to complete a repair while docked in Anacortes due to a hard landing during a blow awhile ago. Could not find one in my parts bin, so trucked over to WM. Price for one was just under $4. Sheesh! Had to choke, but bought it anyway because it was needed. A few days later I stopped by Harbor Marine in Everett to pick up a few extras for my parts bin at a more acceptable $0.45 each.

Oct 22, 2014
@dziedzicmj
No I am not sure. It is what I heard from a Regional Manager. He may have been misinformed.

I do see that in 2017 an investment company bought the shares of WM. There was a proxy fight at the beginning of 2017 summer, then nothing. So I would suspect the buy out went through. Monomoy Capital Partners was the “private investment firm” buyer.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/11/06/sudden-change-west-marine/

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
WM was bought out by Monomoy Capital Partners their main office is in NYC.

About the same time they were bought out WM had decided to focus on "Lifestyle" products. The new CEO has experience in the retail clothing market.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
another point, at least for me- it's a 180 mile round trip to the closest WM outlet. Makes MUCH more sense to shop online.

Edited cause I only use a one way mileage

Oct 22, 2014
The new CEO has experience in the retail clothing market.
Dave... there business is changing still again. The former CEO was a former Lowes Exec with retail experience. He just left WM in November. The folks at Monomoy Capital Partners are again looking for a CEO.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The Admiral and I are taking a road trip to the WM superstore in Jacksonville tomorrow. I need to use their rigging bench to make a couple sail pendants, and I want to put eyeballs on some binoculars I asked Santa for. I doubt I (she) will buy them there though, unless they will match Amazon.

As a bonus, our route will take us right past Monkey Fist Marine, a cool little sailboat scrap/salvage type place in Green Cove Springs. Might score some rigging toggles I need. :)

Oct 22, 2014
Good luck in your adventure.
For pendants I would look at dyneema or amsteel.