So I just got this Hunter...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cool.. I guess I have seen some later model 30's with 4 ports along the side! I thin k I have one a few slips down from me, in fact.. "usually" the numbers right after "HUN" tell the length.. but in this case, not so.. We are waiting with bated breath, Harris !
Is the Municipal Marina the new one just inside the RR bridge?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Please note the Midships cleat is on your new boat. Some of the pictures had no midships cleat.
If they are not OEM, then I would double check them for hold plates before relying on them.
Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Harris,
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum.
You will enjoy the BSL scene with the restaurants and bars and the sailing is good also.
Looks like you have her berthed in BSL marina now. How far did you have to tow to get there?
Should serve you well and provide lots of good times once you get her refurbished. Next time I get to BSL,
I will look you up.
Yep it is some HOT out there. Plan to start on resealing the deck sky light on mine this weekend.
Its about an 18 hour job, so I am going to start at sundown and work on it Friday & Saturday nights to try to beat the heat.
Good luck with the boat!

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Both the H27 and H30 had 2 opening and 2 fixed salon windows prior to 1980. From 1980 on the fixed port lights were removed in favor of 4 opening portlights on both boats. I have had a H27 since 1983. Great boat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
@HarrisOutdoors ,

Enjoy your new boat. The restoration process can take a while. Try to get it sail-able asap so that you can have some fun in between restoration projects.

ps. The projects will never be done. once you finish one, you will come up with another you wish to do. Take some time to get out on the water between them. That will give you an opportunity to break some stuff, and add to the list of projects. :biggrin:

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
Now here is the next question... especially posed to the Gulf Coast Folks. Should there be a storm of any real magnitude... where do we put the boats... because they have to be removed from the Marina..?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Talk to local dock folks.. there should be a "hurricane hole" up a bayou not too far from there; anchor securely and tie to some stout trees.... Some folks have 'em hauled .. Local dockmates will have some ideas..

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
By looks outside and in, definitely a 27.

These are great cruising boats. We have put over 5,500 nm on ours in the Great Lakes over the last 19 summers. Keep asking questions. One or more of us will have your answer!

Welcome, and good luck!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If it is a 30 it is one fine boat, a friend of mine single handed one from San Francisco to Hawaii to Palmyra Atoll and back.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
There is a way to tell the difference in the H27 and H30 without using the measuring tape. The chainplates are U-bolts that go through the aluminium rail on the 27, while the 30's chainplates are located inboard of the aluminium rail about halfway to the coach sides.

Jun 8, 2018
Palmyra Atoll is one creepy place. I almost took the station manager job at the research facility there... lets see... giant coconut crabs, Japanese and American landmines and unexploded ordnance, toxic algae that make the fish caught offshore unedible, Tiger and Mako sharks that seem to hunt in packs... and considered to be the most haunted island on the planet with magnetic anomalies that cause it to be unfindable by VFR flight rules. Actually it was the island that "LOST" was based upon. At the time I had two toddlers that would have been blown up, wandered off or been eaten by giant crabs...
If I was single sure but not with a wife and kids.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Harris, Just moved from BSL a year ago and krept my H26 at the Pass in the municipal harbor. I only had to deal with tropical storms during my 3 years there. For T.S., I simply trailered my boat and kept it mast up in the harbor parking lot. For bigger storms, ask the locals. Most lost their boats during Katrina, but that one was “different”! Many that I know of took their boats up Rotten Bayou near Diamondhead. The BEST option would be to take her out if you can... and if possible, to a place further inland.

Jun 8, 2018
Yeah I lost two in Katrina a 59 Chris craft constellation and a Columbia contender 24. The Columbia was the best sailboat I ever had and the constellation had been restored by me and my dad. They were at that old marina in pass that you had to get to from the bay. I gotta get a trailer for sure but that will probably require a new truck and... well you see where we end up... divorced and living on the boat