So I just got this Hunter...

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
So I just got this hunter which was sold as an H28 but its hull id HUN54754M80H indicates that it was built in 1980. Hunter did not build H28s in 1980 so its either an H27 or an H30. Its interior has the wrap around settee that suggests its possibly a 30 but I honestly have no idea what I've got. Contacted Hunter Corp... (no help there) they say they don't have records of boats that old.

I don't have any interior pictures right now (next week i go pick it up) but if anyone knows how to interpret the hull id number that would be nifty. Thanks for any help.

Harris

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Measure the Beam width.
H25 = 8'
H27 = 9'3
H30 = 10'1

Also the stern to bow measurement to verify.
Jim...

PS: I berth in Diamondhead Marina;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Also WELCOME to the best Sailboat forum on the net.:biggrin:
_____
Also the H25 came with NO inboard engine in 1980
H27 or greater had an inboard diesel engine.

____
The Hull number... M80H...
80 is the year the Keel of your hull was first laid up.
Jim...

PS: A cold beer is always welcomed.:beer:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just sent you a PM or private message. Look at the red Envelopes alert in upper right part of your viewer screen.
Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum, Harris! .. Lots of knowledgeable folks here on board! Check out the "Boat Info" and "General Downloads" sections for great info on old equipment..

Jun 8, 2018
Probably back and forth to the islands... and it was cheaper than a condo! Gonna keep her at BSL Municipal Harbor... plenty of bars and food around there!

Jun 8, 2018
Cowbell Alert huh? Am I to assume you are a fan of MAROON... I work for NGI at Mississipi State. among other things I operate the small research vessels out of Stennis

Jun 8, 2018
Mine has 4 portholes down the side. It did have a diesel inboard that is obviously long since gone. but the hull for a 27 and 30 look so similar its hard to tell... will need to get a measuring tape to figure it out.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cowbells are FINE ! I graduated from there in Dec. '74.. about a thousand years ago!
Edit: four portholes .. probably a 27.. Note short distance between front of front port and forward end of cabin coachroof

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018
I always said we should plow the field under and plant crops on it... but well nobody listens to me...personally I was on the Rugby Team...

Jun 8, 2018
That is a pretty good match but the 30s had 4 also... I cant beleive hunter didnt know what it was based on the serial number

Jun 8, 2018
Personally I hope its a 27... I can trailer that with my truck... a thirty is pushing a few extra thousand pounds and I don't think my truck will do that.