So I found this, no clue what it is.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Out of curiosity, what does the cutout on the outside (toward the engine control panel in your photo) fit on the boat? Is it the right shape for the aft corner or swim platform of your transom? I'm thinking that 8" is too small for propane, but what about the top or bottom of a dive tank? Looks like it is made of Starboard. Any wear on the surfaces, or fasteners to secure it to the boat?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
8" is a great fit for the guard on top of a propane tank.. the center-to-center distance is about right for the smaller tanks 5-10 pounds. Thinking a bungee from bottom across the middle and down would hold two 5# tanks

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
I'll add my guess - was the previous owner a diver - some sort of stabilizer for a couple of dive tanks.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
View attachment 135515 I found this part buried in a locker on a new to me 2006 H38. Anyone have an idea?
On our boat (2005 Hunter 45 CC) we have a propane locker outside on the port side of the cockpit. The locker holds two separate propane tanks and the piece that you are asking about fits down over the 2 tanks, separates them and helps to hold them in place. Hope this helps.
Jeff

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Alright, alright now. Not everyone wins something they want every time.
SHEESH! Must suck where you're from... in most of the Good Ol' U.S. of A. ..... EVERY kid gets a trophy! Even the losers!
;)

I still think the photoshopped image with the instruments in it PROVES I'm right and I DEMAND MY TROPHY!
so... does this have any edges/ledges on the side we can't see in the pic?
How about screw holes?
Might it not even belong on the boat?
.... and i'm still waiting for my trophy....
SuperBowl Trophy.JPG

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It reminds me of something that needle workers use to hold their yarn.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Similar item came with my new 2007 41DS in the propane locker. Keeps the tanks from moving around in the locker.

EdFin

Jun 25, 2012
2005 Hunter 38' 38 San Diego
Like I said on a previous post. Previous owners put things on boats before delivery to mess with our minds
YEAP ... and I'm still giggling about the odd kitchen gadget I stole from my wife's gadget drawer at home and threw it in our previous boat after survey!!! ;)