So How Many of Us Are There?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Over the last year or so, the frequency of postings on the Hunter Cherubini specific forum I think has dropped off significantly from "yesteryear".

Probably due to existing owners already having most of the Cherubini specific answers. And also probably due to fewer new owners coming out because less of our ~35 year old boats are changing hands. (Or even are still floating.)

Although I myself still check the forum most days, I am less inclined to respond to questions that have come up dozens of times. Or to compose a post to a newer forum member that I observe tends not follow up on responses to his/her original question.

But I still chime in if I think I can add some value.

Anyone else observing the same?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Yep. The Cherubini forum is very slow. That's why I usually post in the "ask all sailors" forum. When I log on I always click on "new post" and "recent post" so I see all posts anyway. Posts specific to any one boat are all a bit slow I would think.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Yep. The Cherubini forum is very slow. That's why I usually post in the "ask all sailors" forum. When I log on I always click on "new post" and "recent post" so I see all posts anyway. Posts specific to any one boat are all a bit slow I would think.
Ditto, Kito's got that right. I generally post only on ask all sailors forum because the response is typically more fruitful with a larger group. When motivated, I do a lot of searching on the Hunter forums for equipment repair/replacement, and rigging suggestions.

But I'm still here with the Cherubini Hunters Forum...and the boat's still rocking. Pic taken last Sunday.

IMG_1072.jpg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I've noticed that, also. Years ago I would go to the Cherubini forum first but now I go to 'New (Legacy)' and pick up all posts. Seems to be a lot simpler but we still need the individual forums. Although, for example, I may not be very familiar with, say, the C-22's, the questions asked may be more of a general sailing inquiry that doesn't necessarily pertain just to the C-22. If I was asking a question specific to my boat, I would post in the Cherubini forum. It does seem, however the C-22 and Mac forums have taken over. Not that that's a bad thing.
Just wondering, however, who are those people on my boat? Nice pic.:)

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
This is the only forum on sailboatowners.com I frequent. I am beyond general forums (too old and cranky) but I stop by here regularly to see what other Cherubini owners are up to. The only other sailing forum I check into is Cruising Anarchy. I do think that this forum has slowed down. I suspect Facebook steals some away. But I'll be around here for as long as there is a forum.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
BlowMeAway: Absolutely wonderful photo. The boat looks great! Perfect example of why we do what we do. So who are you and your mate waving to? Can't do you one better than your photo, but here's one of us on a calm day with a bit of the San Francisco skyline in the background. The Golden Gate bridge would be about 45 degrees to the right about 2.0 miles away.

Jim: I don't recall ever saying it on the forum, but I certainly do appreciate your interest and organizing skills for the Cherubini Hunters ... Even though with your 37 model focus, you are in the wrong camp from my Cherubini H36 perspective!

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Thanks Rardi! For what its worth, I have always considered the H36 'kissing cousin' of the H37C. Nice boats and I would be proud to own one.

The best thing about this forum is the people. I have had the privilege to meet a few of the members in person and I would be happy to have any of them as shipmates.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I always go to the Cherubini forum first, then the larger Ask All Sailors forum, but yes, it is slow. I reply when I think I have something to offer. I tend to visit the forums less frequently during the sailing season.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Still here and cruising on our Hunter 36 (1982). We're hanging out in Brunswick, Georgia for hurricane season. Back south to the Bahamas in November. I have a blog at http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Like others, I check in now and then and always check the Cherubini forum. I think Alctel has been the most active with questions and projects? I do try to help out if I see a question regarding our model boat. I'm sure I'll have questions sooner or later, but this old boat has treated us right over that past 4 years and 7200+ miles. That's one round trip from Texas>Bahamas>Georgia>Bahamas>back to Texas. We left again last October and are back in Georgia, after spending the winter in the Keys.
cruising map.jpg

By the way, there is one H36 (80-82) in Rockport, Texas. One anchored off Gulfport, Fl. (a derelict with blown engine that has a couple living aboard, and another from Port Isabel, Texas on a mooring in Boot Key Harbor. They've been there for a few years. I think we've seen a couple more in our travels, but can't recall details.

Thanks Rardi, for your many informative posts!

Ralph

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Comradery! That's what it's all about on this Cherubini Owners Forum. Well, that and great repair/replacement feedback that I got from sailors like Kito, JCII, and Dalliance. I do have this setup as a watched forum, so I'm sure to be updated regularly. I have to agree strongly with Dalliance that I've been tending to lessen my visits to SBO while we're in the heat of sailing season up here on Cayuga Lake.

Thank you to those that responded to the pic I attached. You've been "Liked" and know who you are. The handsome guy at the helm is one of my best friends who sails with us in the BVI on the bareboat charters. The picture was taken as far into the pulpit as I could get. I took the opportunity to work the sheets and halyards as he helmed. Just an unscripted, random picture taken with an iPhone. Stay in touch y'all.

Wayne

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Me too, here every day. Been retired twelve years and still too busy to look anywhere else. All of my projects have been documented in "Hunter Mods" so now I just sail. There is quite a lot of activity on the Cherubini Facebook site, it definitely takes away from here. You sail, you take a picture with your phone, you easily post it on Facebook. But we have been together here a long time. I think we are all still here but as was mentioned maybe we are done working on the boats.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
There was a H27 that a guy picked-up down in Chicago earlier this Spring as a project...there was a Cherubini Hunter 30 that competed in the Racine-to-Door County Hook race last week. I know of a guy in Winthrop Harbor, IL with a 37Cutter....
What I am beginning to think though (based upon my own experience) is that most of our boats really need a repower but it's not "worth it" to do as the resale value of old boats is really terrible right now. (I personally use a 4-stroke kicker most of the time unless I need to charge my batteries at idle...biggest, smelliest 'generator' on the lake!) For us old owners it is hard to make the leap to a new inboard and a potential buyer is scared off by an old boat with a broken/old engine. Knowing what I know now, I'd get the biggest boat I could afford WITH a bad engine...talk the desperate seller down to the limit and then repower. The bones of my boat are great, it just needs cosmetics, perhaps a new main, and a new diesel.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
This is the 'slowest' forum I go to but it has a ton of great advice archived and I love seeing other pictures of Cherubini Hunters!

I still post here if I have a question specific to the boat model, and I know it'll be a few days for an answer. But often it's a great one.

For Cherubini Hunter info this place is unrivalled.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
2015-12-12 17.51.30.jpg
Ditto, Kito's got that right. I generally post only on ask all sailors forum because the response is typically more fruitful with a larger group. When motivated, I do a lot of searching on the Hunter forums for equipment repair/replacement, and rigging suggestions.

But I'm still here with the Cherubini Hunters Forum...and the boat's still rocking. Pic taken last Sunday.

View attachment 126308
Stupid Question. So what qualifies as a Cherubini Hunter?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Yes, thanks to everyone who has ever posted anything in the forum about their Cherubini Hunter, I too am grateful for all the knowledge that I have picked up.
Several reasons for why I don't post much nor ask questions anymore is the frustrating answers and general irrelevant information I get. I have discovered the Google advanced search and use that a lot and then grind thru all the responses, forums are good for talking, but I often wish this was more of a wiki with a better hierarchy to find information.
Thanks again to everyone who has
ever helped out here.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Stupid Question. So what qualifies as a Cherubini Hunter?
No such thing as a stupid question. The Cherubini's were designed by John Cherubini for Hunter. Production ran from, I believe, '74 thru '82. J. Cherubini III, his son, might chime in and give a more detailed answer.