Snow

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
No, that’s Canyon Lake Texas. NE of San Antinio. I’m down to race. Yesterday it was blowning 20-25 sustained with long gusts in the mid 30s, so they wisely abandoned. We went out to practice and under full main alone hit 10.5 in 34 knots. Later in the day the breeze dropped a bit and we went out for that run.

But this weekend is is lost in MN. Two days of sold blizzard. 12-16 inches. Part of the reason we left!
View attachment 148900
Wow! I guess I'm feeling lucky with freezing rain.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
No, that’s Canyon Lake Texas. NE of San Antinio. I’m down to race. Yesterday it was blowning 20-25 sustained with long gusts in the mid 30s, so they wisely abandoned. We went out to practice and under full main alone hit 10.5 in 34 knots. Later in the day the breeze dropped a bit and we went out for that run.

But this weekend is is lost in MN. Two days of sold blizzard. 12-16 inches. Part of the reason we left!
View attachment 148900
Thats a sweet groove. The lake looks flat, the boat is heeled over, yet the sails dont even looked pressured. That looks fast for a monohull.

Lake manatee in sarasota fl looks like a southern ocean at 15 knots, killing kayakers.

Teach me master.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
This was taken about 10 minutes ago. This is why @Jackdaw bailed for Texas..... still snowing, MSP airport closed yesterday, over a foot so far. Probably 15" at my place so far.

FB_IMG_1523820323949.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
From the weather report I saw today it looks like that storm is going to be around for a while. Plenty of moisture coming up North. My sympathies ... enough is enough!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Northern Michigan is getting an Ice Storm. View attachment 148831
This is what our Marina looked like when the surge went through. We’re right on lake michigan and there was a water level change of well over six feet in minutes. It poured in and out of the marina several times. Where those pilings are, there are docks under water.
I'd not heard of this phenomena before but they called it a Seiche. Kind of like a tsunami wave they said. With dramatic change in barometric pressure and high winds they said it's somewhat like water in a bath tub sloshing.
Manistee saw up to an 8 foot surge in the space of a few minutes. In Ludington in the space of 9 minutes or so the water surged up over the pier and then back down.

Significant damage at several harbors along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Saw pictures of docks ripped out, the board walk torn out.
And today we had a really nice freezing rain and snow to top off this no show spring.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'd not heard of this phenomena before but they called it a Seiche. Kind of like a tsunami wave they said. With dramatic change in barometric pressure and high winds they said it's somewhat like water in a bath tub sloshing.
Manistee saw up to an 8 foot surge in the space of a few minutes. In Ludington in the space of 9 minutes or so the water surged up over the pier and then back down.

Significant damage at several harbors along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Saw pictures of docks ripped out, the board walk torn out.
And today we had a really nice freezing rain and snow to top off this no show spring.
A better analogy is a bathtub. If you push water to one side it sloshes back and forth. They are common on the Great Lakes, however, a 6' seiche is pretty unsual. The biggest one I've see is was bout 3 feet on Lake Ontario.

This site has water level data for the Great Lakes. https://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/monitor.html
Randomly I picked Wyandotte MI to see the water levels and the seiche is clearly visible.

seiche-wyandotte MI.png

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thats a sweet groove. The lake looks flat, the boat is heeled over, yet the sails dont even looked pressured. That looks fast for a monohull.
You can see on the instruments, the breeze was 20 and we were doing 14. That’s the great thing about planing boats. On a regular displacement hull, you hit hull speed and then extra pressure just loads up the rig. The planing boat pops up, and the much smaller difference between boat speed and wind speed keeps the loads much lighter.

Nov 8, 2010
This was taken about 10 minutes ago. This is why @Jackdaw bailed for Texas..... still snowing, MSP airport closed yesterday, over a foot so far. Probably 15" at my place so far.

View attachment 149009
Yea that’s the deal. We’re not coming back til it stops. We’re sitting by the pool with a margarita right now. We were planning on sailing today, but the two pups in the crew were too sore. I’ve got video of the run in 35 knots here somewhere. That was trippy.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
No, that’s Canyon Lake Texas.
Ahhhhh...Canyon Lake. I love that lake when it's full of water. I lived in New Braunfels for six years and sailed my Scorpion and Hobie 16 there on numerous occasions. Between the sailing on Canyon and tubing on the Guadalupe River, it made my college years very much fun. Actually spent some occasion hanging out at Hippie Hollow on Lake Travis, just North of Austin. Good Times!!!

Have fun there JD.

I don't miss the fire ants though.

Nov 8, 2010
Ahhhhh...Canyon Lake. I love that lake when it's full of water. I lived in New Braunfels for six years and sailed my Scorpion and Hobie 16 there on numerous occasions. Between the sailing on Canyon and tubing on the Guadalupe River, it made my college years very much fun. Actually spent some occasion hanging out at Hippie Hollow on Lake Travis, just North of Austin. Good Times!!!

Have fun there JD.
It's actually a great 3-season lake to sail. In particular if you are from the north and find the winter sailing to be like Minnesota spring sailing. I like Canyon Lake a lot, probably my favorite Texas lake to sail. Except for summer, the breeze is pretty reliable. In summer you just bake under the relentless sun, chasing tiny zephyrs of breeze around the lake. I often entertain being BlueJ down for the winters. But then I remember I have friends here with boats, and a lake house to crash at.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
While enjoying the benefits of Canyon Lake, Check out the local Tx wineries in nearby Fredericksburg. Great tours and lot# of fun tasting. I bought my boat on Canyon Lake and agree it’s a great year round place to sail.