Smart way to drain fuel tank?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
While I have Bella back on the trailer for some drivetrain work, I am going to replace the fuel with fresh diesel. Without causing a need to bleed the system, what's the best way to drain the tank, or at least get most of the fuel out? Should I use an Oklahoma credit card (siphon tube) down the fill cap? I think I have about 10 gallons in the tank.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Why would you want to remove the diesel? Is it badly fouled?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I use siphoning to lower the level in my pool and also to drain the hot tub. It just takes time. It is safe and cheap. You just want to be sure you get it right into the lowest corner to get the max out.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
It's about 3 years old. I use a biocide and a stabilizer. We never need the engine long enough to burn it off.
Should still be good then. Diesel doesn't really go bad for a long time. The biggest issue is water and bacterial growth. Your additives should be taking care of this if you have added them on a regular basis.

I found one reference from a gentleman that just bought a bunch of WWII era government surplus #2 diesel in the original 55 gallon drums. He said he was having no issues running it in his diesel gensets.

The newer low sulfur diesel is more likely to get bacterial growth than the older diesel with sulfur, but the new aftermarket additives are supposed to work. The articles I read was 5-7 years with additives. and even longer if you have it polished.

Here is an article from Practical Sailor on diesel additives. Diesel Additives

Depending on where you are, if you are using low sulfur diesel, you may also want to add something for lubricity.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: To what @LeslieTroyer suggest. He has watched me access my tanks several times.

With diesel running at about $4 per gallon that is about the cost of a good bottle of sipping rum. Or a lot of :beer:.
3 years is nothing.

I bought my boat in 2015 and it had (my SWAG) 130 gallons of fuel that likely was bought in 2012. It was uncared for. Took a bit of additives and a few filters, but I burned through it over a 2 year span with only minor hiccups. Got it down to about 40 gallons which I was able to polish by pumping through a few filters (thanks Les).

The moral is you can use the fuel if you want.

Don’t just toss it because it smells old.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I thought it might be why it takes more time than it should to start it. I may have a timing problem instead. I'll have to check what I can.