Small water blisters???

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
I think that the algae growth season must be short and almost non-existent on mountain lake like Coeur d'Alene so I would agree that anti-fouling is not necessary. I think I would use this: https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/antifouling/vc-performance-epoxy
Thanks Scott... Are you suggesting iI only use the vc-performance epoxy? Yeah the algea growth for 6 months in the lake at my slip was paper thin. I would love to think that a couple of coats of this would be all I needed!.... If hasn't been obvious yet this bottom thing is my first go.... However I have made surfboards and have done other glass work... This is more "only want to do this once kinda thing" lol. I sincerely appreciate all the help here.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It sounds like you are interested in improving the hull, not just covering it cosmetically. I just did a little bit of reading about the Interlux products. The InterProtect 2000e is a 2-part protection barrier to prevent blistering. If you determine that those dots are actually filled blisters (maybe just surface blisters thru the gelcoat) and assuming that the integrity is sound at all locations, you may be able to simply start with the protection part. Interlux says this product is a good primer for whatever you put over it.

It seems that 3 coats is the usual practice. I would guess that you might do 2 coats of 2000e primer and then finish with 1 coat of vc performance. The characteristics of the vc performance is what you want for a slick bottom, performance bottom that doesn't require anti-fouling. Keep in mind that vc performance is suitable over bare gelcoat or a 2-part primer. But you should not put this over any 1-part paint. So you may just want to put the vc performance over the existing gel coat if you want to economize. I don't know if 1 coat of the vc performance is suitable or if 2 coats is better. I have ablative over barrier. I've been using BottomKote NT, which is described as a "hard" ablative.

The nice part about the vc performance is you can keep a nice clean white bottom if that is what you prefer.

You really should get on the horn with Interlux to get advise how to use these products together. Preparation is always the first, best step! I have had very good luck with every Interlux product that I have used, so I tend to stick with their products for my boat.

Last edited:

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
OK guys n gals. I have my hull sanded down and all those dots were just paper thin and sanded out perfectly...all are gone and Im still on gelcoat. Ive sanded it all with 80 grit as per interluxe epoxy instructions. When it warms to 70 degrees i will start the application process. not being the brightest bow light, I'm wondering that I have to do this in two separate sessions because of the jack plates from lifting it off the trailer. it appears to me that i will have to do the whole boat except for the two racks holding it up. let it cure drop it back on the railer and apply epoxy to the 2 racking sections....the front is about 18"x2" the back is about 30" by 2". does this sound right?
Thanks for all the help!