Small ding at water line on transomThanks.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
So I put a little ding on the transom at the water line from backing up a bit too fast. (Forgot to take a picture this weekend - the area is below right side of ladder) It appears that there is a split between the transom area and the hull and I am wondering what I should do as a fix. Is this something that I can put some caulk or silicone product in now and then permanent fix when I pull in the fall or pull now. Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd try Marine-Tex if it is small and you want to avoid haul out right now. I wouldn't use a sealant since getting that out latter and repairing would be a challenge. At least Marine-Tex is epoxy based putty and you can sand it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My boat came with a 'beauty' mark like that from a PO too. I'm bow in my slip so mine are front an center if I hit really hard:)

Dec 29, 2017
As you can guess, I’m stern in on a dock where I have maybe 2.5 feet of extra width to work with, not to mention Chesapeake Bay tide and wind. Happened at the beginning of the season when my muscle memory and fine touch were not up to par.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
if it is just in the gel coat, seal with duct tape and keep sailing. Replace tape before UV kills it. Gelcoat repairs during the off season.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Marine Tex now, sand and gelcoat over when you can get to it. It'll look better, too, with white MT on it.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017
Will Marine-Tex work in an area where there is constant exposure to water? From what I read it called for a 72 hour curing period in a warm / dry area. Thinking the duct tape solution might be needed until the fall.

Last edited: