Small craft advisory and sailing the C310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2009
Catalina 310 Dunedin, Fl
Small Craft Advisory

Just curious what other C310 owners would do.

Today there is a small craft advisory for the Boston area. The weather is predicted for 15-20 kts of wind with gusts from 30-35 kts. Seas 2-3 feet which will be mostly chop. So would you go sailing?

We have been out and the conditions worsened to these type of conditions but intentionally leaving the dock is another story. Bases on how well she has performed in the past I am temped to throw the 2nd reef in the mainsail and go out. Good experience for when we get caught in bad weather while cruising.

But I might be desperate to get out because the weather hasn't been great for sailing lately.

So I was just curious what other C310s do in these conditions.

I consider my C310 to be a "Small craft" compared to the ocean.
I have found that my boat performs best in winds between 8 and 12 knots, anything over 12 knots causes our sailing to be uncomfortable, and it is no longer pleasurable sailing. On a few occasions we have been caught out when the wind increased to around 20 knots, but it was not pleasant.
Hope this helps.

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
mfarinas said:
I consider my C310 to be a "Small craft" compared to the ocean.
I have found that my boat performs best in winds between 8 and 12 knots, anything over 12 knots causes our sailing to be uncomfortable, and it is no longer pleasurable sailing. On a few occasions we have been caught out when the wind increased to around 20 knots, but it was not pleasant.
Hope this helps.
It all depends on how much sail you have up. We sail in San Francisco where summer time winds are routinely 25+ knots and winter winds are in the 8 - 12 range or even less. I use a 100% jib in the summer with the furling main 50% furled and a 125% genoa with full main in the winter. In both cases, the boat is balanced.

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
JK Boston,
I am not surprised some of your tougher sails have been in Buzzards Bay. There are some strong tidal currents there. If you were going with the current toward the canal and the wind was against you, the waves are really going to build.
We sail out of Bristol RI, but we get over to Buzzards Bay often. I am always more cautious in Buzzards and decline to sail in some wind speeds that would be no problem in Narraganset Bay.
We sailed out of Quissett Harbor one morning heading home on a beautiful sunny day. But we found a strong Northerly blowing against the current. After getting pretty beaten up on the beam, we quickly turned right around and spent another quiet night in Quissett.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
It all depends on how much sail you have up. We sail in San Francisco where summer time winds are routinely 25+ knots and winter winds are in the 8 - 12 range or even less. I use a 100% jib in the summer with the furling main 50% furled and a 125% genoa with full main in the winter. In both cases, the boat is balanced.
Great point. One of the things I have been thinking lately is that having just a 135 genoa is not the best.

Where did you buy your genoas? Did you have the foam luff put in?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK Boston,
I am not surprised some of your tougher sails have been in Buzzards Bay. There are some strong tidal currents there. If you were going with the current toward the canal and the wind was against you, the waves are really going to build.
We sail out of Bristol RI, but we get over to Buzzards Bay often. I am always more cautious in Buzzards and decline to sail in some wind speeds that would be no problem in Narraganset Bay.
We sailed out of Quissett Harbor one morning heading home on a beautiful sunny day. But we found a strong Northerly blowing against the current. After getting pretty beaten up on the beam, we quickly turned right around and spent another quiet night in Quissett.
Yeah, Buzzards Bay is really schizophrenic. Some days it is one of the most beautiful places to sail and others it can be ugly. Still, I don't mind a challenge as long as everything ends safe.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Great point. One of the things I have been thinking lately is that having just a 135 genoa is not the best.

Where did you buy your genoas? Did you have the foam luff put in?

By having a "summer" and "winter" sail, no foam luff is needed. I just don't bother ever reefing our jibs.

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
Stu Jackson said:
By having a "summer" and "winter" sail, no foam luff is needed. I just don't bother ever reefing our jibs.
I rarely reef the winter jib but my 125% does have a foam luff which I have used during winter storms. The 100% has no rope or foam for reefing.

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
kjoho said:
I rarely reef the winter jib but my 125% does have a foam luff which I have used during winter storms. The 100% has no rope or foam for reefing.
Didn't answer your question about sail maker. I have North Sails. Very good quality.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
With the wing keel that most have with the 310, there is very little lateral resistance that would normally provide added stability in a following sea on your quarter. These boats don't sail well in these conditions period. She's like a top. Full keels with more water line do much better.
Amen! She gets squirly in those conditions. Our C-36 with deep fin was night & day in those conditions. As my wife describes our old 310 in rough weather, "she's like a cork"......

That said if you had a 100% head sail and added a third or second deeper reef in the main the the 310 can do fine in those conditions though she'll still get thrown around a bit.. She rides high and light in the water and does better in small chop and highish winds with the sails as flat as can be.. Play the traveler too.. The 135 only likes to be reefed to about 110 with that Schaefer and still carry a decent shape that allows good upwind performance.... With our current Harken furler she can go deeper and still hold a decent shape so we have less sail changes.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Amen! She gets squirly in those conditions. Our C-36 with deep fin was night & day in those conditions. As my wife describes our old 310 in rough weather, "she's like a cork"......

That said if you had a 100% head sail and added a third or second deeper reef in the main the the 310 can do fine in those conditions though she'll still get thrown around a bit.. She rides high and light in the water and does better in small chop and highish winds with the sails as flat as can be.. Play the traveler too.. The 135 only likes to be reefed to about 110 with that Schaefer and still carry a decent shape that allows good upwind performance.... With our current Harken furler she can go deeper and still hold a decent shape so we have less sail changes.
Maine, what is it about the Harken compared to the Schaefer that allows for better sail shape?

Also, out of curiosity, what do you think of the foam luff? Does it really help the sail shape that much?

Thanks,

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.