Slipper 17' restore

Oct 11, 2015
Starboard Yachts Slipper 17 Lake Worth, FL
Hi all,
I just bought a 1983 Slipper 17' in need of a little work. She's structurally sound with no soft spots. The main thing she needs is gel coat repair and rejuvenation. She needs a new tiller and running rigging too- I think just the halyards.
The main thing on my mind now is this thing in the cockpit and through into the keel- I have no idea what it is! Maybe a bilge pump?? Please take a look at the pictures and see if you can't tell me what this thing is. It has a fitting in the floor of the cockpit with a cable coming out of it. It has a length of vinyl tubing from the bottom of the fitting and into the keel.
Does anyone know how long I should make the tiller? My plan is to cut it out of marine plywood.
Lastly, any suggestions on where/ what size new halyards I should get?
12092355_10100886292105610_561094047_n.jpg
12165738_10100886292120580_23060233_n.jpg
12166010_10100886292130560_1235287497_n.jpg
12165833_10100886292125570_1264292907_n.jpg
12053172_10100886292135550_884698078_n.jpg
12047261_10100886292110600_738971477_n.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Welcome Chris and best wishes for the work on your boat.
Tom G P-21 posted some useful information for you to use. I agree that the cable you asked about goes to a centerboard that is within the stub keel of your boat. There are similar arrangements on the Precision boats. We owned a P-18 that had a weighted stub keel (250 pounds if I remember correctly) and a fiberglass centerboard that pulled up within that stub. The centerboard is not very heavy, therefore, no pulley or crank is needed to pull it up or let it down. The pictures of the boat Tom G posted showed a line and a cleat to secure the centerboard at the desired depth/height. You may find evidence of a cleat like that on your hull or you could add one. The kink in the plastic tubing under the cockpit sole is a concern if the cable goes through it. The cable might saw on that tube and cut through it. Put in a new, unbent piece of more solid marine tubing. The white kind like used for sanitation hose would be good since it is reinforced. Find the correct diameter and you are set. Using double clamps on each end of the tube is a better choice.
Diameter and length of running rigging like halyards and sheets can be estimated from the lines left on your boat. Shop this site, West Marine, and Defender to find the line you want. Using line with different colored flecks or completely different colors can help new sailors tell the lines apart while learning the names, functions, and locations of each one.
A good cleaning is the first step. Simple green is good and Barkeepers Friend is a good pumice material to remove stains without damaging the gelcoat. Scrape the loose flakes and consider painting the inside of the cockpit. Give special attention to any fasteners that show rust stains around them. They probably need to be replaced and caulked. Phil

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
That cable appears to be how the keel is raised and lowered.

Oct 11, 2015
Hi Phil, Tom, and John, thank you for all the good suggestions! I foolishly didn't even know this had a daggerboard, since the keel is resting on a 2"x6". That certainly makes sense, and I can see the very front of the daggerboard when I crawl under the trailer. I have no idea how I'm going to service the daggerboard pivot (assuming it needs it). Maybe I'll just make that the last thing I do and anchor it in the ICW off West Palm where the water is calm and crystal clear and fiddle with it with my scuba mask on?? Good idea with the sanitation tube. I'll do that and get rid of the kink. I am sure the cable goes through that and attaches to the board.
I did some glass repairs to my Hobie Cat a couple years back and then applied, by paint brush, a new layer of gel coat, so I have a little experience with both. That being said, do you think I should scrape, sand, and reapply gel coat to the whole topside? As you can see, the gel coat is really chipping off badly. The gel coat I did on my Hobie really didn't look so hot having been applied with a brush, and I don't have a sprayer. Any suggestions on a better way to get the cockpit/ topside looking (fairly) good again?
I'll keep you all updated with pics of the restoration!
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
You paid $350, the trailer itself is worth that. I would do the minimum to get it sailing, new halyards,tiller and a good cleaning. Maybe find a 4hp long shaft out board. If the centerboard is stuck I wouldn't worry about it. You have a shoal keel, you can sail with that. You might not be able to point as well but you can at least get out and enjoy it. Also how are the sails? Most importantly find out if you like it before tackling a big job like doing the gelcoat.

Oct 11, 2015
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info. That makes total sense. Better make sure the boat sails and functions before I take on any massive jobs.
The boat has an adjustable aluminum outboard bracket. Do you have any ideas, just by looking at it, how much weight this thing can support? I have a 9.9hp Johnson seahorse long shaft outboard, but it's pretty heavy... I wouldn't want to damage the transom or break the mount.
Also, that tube that the daggerboard cable goes through is simply part of the self-bailing setup for the boat. Water goes through the hole and the tube and comes out in the daggerboard storage spot. I should definitely replace the plastic tube, if it fails, I'll have some serious water intrusion!
IMG_7212.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Older aluminum brackets are designed for 2 stroke engines. Manufacturers say there is a big difference in torque between a 2 stroke and newer 4 stroke engines. In my experience, my 4 stroke 5hp engine has been doing fine on a Garelick aluminum 2 stroke bracket. For small boats, with small engines, I have to believe that torque isn't that big of a deal. For a 17' boat, you would probably be fine with a newer 4 stroke 2.5hp engine. When you start getting into the 4-5-6 hp range, they are pretty much all the same single cylinder powerhead, with de-tuned carburetors to lower HP output. So the weight will all be fairly similar.

There are some differences in need of power. People think that if they buck currents, they need more HP. However, if your motor is capable of driving your boat to hull speed (for the sake of argument on a 16' waterline, let's say 5 knots,) to exceed hull speed requires considerably more power. Much of this power is bled off by the bow and stern waves increasing in height (amplitude) because the waterline length holds them to more or less constant max speed. (Wave speed is a function of wavelength, not amplitude. Longer wavelength equals fast waves, so that's why longer boats sail faster than shorter. For a very simplistic explanation.) So, more power means the displacement hull will sit down between bow and stern wave, rather than go very much faster. As an example, towing a one design displacement hull to a race start can have the transom sitting down so low it is almost under water due to the stern wave and the tow holding the bow up. OK then, given the above, if your 2.5hp motor pushes the boat to 5 knots on flat water at 3/4 throttle (assumptions, bear with me) and you know that you normally buck a 2 knot current, even increasing HP it will be difficult for your boat to exceed 3 knots over ground against that 2 knot current, because your wavelength is actually making 5 knots through the water.

More power can be beneficial dealing with wind (up to hull speed) because the wind is so much less dense than water, it is easier to overcome the windage of a sailboat.

In my opinion, many small sailboats have more HP than needed because small outboards are sold with a factory spec "speed" prop designed to run a small planing hull boat like a jon boat at higher speeds over ground while on plane. For our displacement sailboat hulls, a large difference in power can be achieved by replacing the stock prop with a "high thrust" prop designed for your motor. It will have larger surface area blades, so called "elephant ear" or "Mickey Mouse ear" blades, to grab and throw more water. It will also have a greater diameter than a speed prop, again to grab more water at lower speeds, as well as a lower pitch. Lower pitch is like driving a car in 1st gear vs. 3rd gear - more torque, less speed. Lower pitch runs higher prop RPMs, and the motor will be able to run at higher RPMs, which allows a better heat range to reduce plug fouling. And with the higher thrust prop, you will find better reversing, and slowing the boat by shifting in reverse, as the prop moves more water.

The Honda 2.3hp motor is very popular on smaller boats. I can think of 2 Precision 185 boats in my marina. These motors are also easy because they used to be air cooled, eliminating maintenance hassles of replacing water pump impellers. However, I haven't been able to find high thrust prop options for them.

The ubiquitous Tohatsu motor in 4-5-6 hp does have a high thrust prop option - I put one on my 5 hp Nissan. I say ubiquitous, because Tohatsu makes motors rebadged for Nissan, Mercury, probably Evinrude, and possibly one other that I can't remember.

Hope some of this helps.

Oct 11, 2015
Hi Brian, Very informative. Reminds me of sitting in Professor Simpson's college physics for science majors classes. I understand the relationship between torque and hp and wavelength and amplitude.
I failed to mention that my 9.9 Seahorse is a 2 stroke, and water cooled. The thing just weighs around 60 or 70 lbs, I would guess.
This a photo of my 9.9. The motor mount seems like it wasn't designed for motors this heavy, but I'm new to this and I'm sure it took all of you some time to trust your boats' construction when the fiberglass flexes!
upload_2015-10-16_11-41-42.png

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2015
Hi again,
I finished rehabbing my house, and now back to the Slipper 17! I was looking down below to see what can be done about maybe straightening that vinyl tubing that the cable for the swing daggerboard goes through and came across some interesting findings. There is a rather large bilge area that is fairly inaccessible. That cable seems to take a 90 degree turn under the cabin floor and head forward (see pic). There is also a lot of water under the cabin floor. I am thinking about adding an electric bilge pump under the floor and running the water out the back or side of the boat, above the waterline of course. In order to do this, I would need to install one or more access points. Have you ever used those round 4", 6", etc. plastic hatches? I was thinking about picking up a one of those to install where I think I want the pump, and maybe one further up to remove all the old wiring and install new.
Any input would be much appreciated. I am just winging it for now. I'm also going to take out that fairly rotten mast support and replace it with a new one.
IMG_7836.JPG
IMG_7846.JPG
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG

Oct 11, 2015
The 9.9 definitely is too heavy. I am on the lookout for a 5hp or so and may be picking one up from the previous owner.
I have ordered a 4" screw-in access hatch and will be installing it in the floor of the cabin to allow for me to install a bilge pump. I'll post pictures of my progress.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2015
Update: I spent 6 hours scraping and cleaning and working on the Slipper 17. This weekend I am going to pressure wash the inside and outside and start putting her back together with all the necessary new components.

After cutting an access hatch, that "tube" is actually the top of the pocket for the swing daggerboard.
I cut another access as well (I have screw-in hatches for these) and see that all the wiring was run directly though the concrete ballast/ keel. All of the original wiring is brittle and shot. I think I am going to have to surface mount the new wiring. I will also have to run wiring to the stern and mast base for the lights I plan to employ. Any suggestions for how to do this, or alternative ideas?
I am going to mount a bilge pump and have started making a bracket out of a sheet of stainless steel (pictured). This will mount the pump just aft of the daggerboard in the bilge, where there was no pump of any kind previously.
I pulled out the mast support that went from the top of the keel area to the base of the mast. It is pretty rotted on the bottom and I'm looking to replace it. Suggestions on wood type to cut a new one out of? This original one almost looks like oak!
Lastly, I pulled off the frayed sidestay in order to have two new made. Both have multiple snapped strands.
Thanks, Chris

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
For help with wiring a boat, take a look at Don Casey's "Sailboat Electrics Simplified" http://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Electrics-Simplified-Don-Casey/dp/0070366497

Or you could use battery operated nav lights to get you by, with LED lanterns or stick on lights for down below. My favorite battery nav. lights are Navisafe. http://www.navisafe.co.nz They are floating, sealed, hockey puck sized lights. I used them on my old Harpoon 4.6, which was a 15' open daysailer.

There are a million different LED lanterns out there now, from stuff you get at Walmart, to fancy stuff from REI or EMS. I do like these blow up solar powered lanterns from MPowerd: https://www.mpowerd.com I have a white one and the Luci Color. The multi color changing is fun for ambiance in the cockpit, party style. The Luci Lux is a new one, looks like it's warm white with the frosting for a nice glow. I have the clear bluish LED one. I hardly use it, but it's nice to have just in case.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The 9.9 definitely is too heavy. I am on the lookout for a 5hp or so and may be picking one up from the previous owner.
Don't bother. With that weight and size of boat, it makes no sense to put a gas engine on it. Ebay has this motor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-86lbs-F...ash=item3f35f6e6b0:g:iKUAAOxyRhBS2JBu&vxp=mtr
Even spending the money on batteries it should cost you around 300 bucks.86lbs thrust will easily power that boat through anything you want it to. You can not beat electric for control, especially when docking. It "starts" every time. It is dead quiet. I'm using that one on my RL 24. It is wonderful. Plenty for my boat, so more than enough for yours. I had a 4 HP before, and I would rate this motor to be about 3.5 HP equivalent. It seems to have a touch more thrust, and a tiny bit less top speed. I still have the 4HP, it works fine, but hangs in the garage, as I have no use for it.
I'm using two 100 AH batteries I bought from NAPA. I went on week long trip. The first two days had no wind, so I motored about the lake for several hours. The battery indicator never came off full charge. After day 4, I began to wonder if the indicator was accurate, so I put the batteries on charge. I'd probably been fine even if I hadn't. The only time I've seen it below full charge was pushing a 30 mph headwind in top speed, dragging the centerboard. Oops. That was only because the batteries are at the front of the boat, so there was some loss in the wiring. As soon as I wised up and raised the board, the indicator came back up. dah.
If you are in the need of a 3-4 HP, I can't think of any logical reason to use a gas engine.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
A few more comments: If you use Oak, use White Oak, as it is more rot resistant. Otherwise I would shop for Cumaru, which is also sometimes called Brazilion Teak. Its cheaper than real Teak, but is just as rot resistant. You need really sharp blades to cut it, as it is very tough wood. You also have to pre-drill any holes you intend to use wood screws in, as otherwise they will twist off. Much more dense than Oak or even Hard Maple.
Also, when you run electric, I would glue down a piece of 1" PVC tubing. This will allow you to pull wires through and keep them nice and neat. I have two 3/4" pipes front to rear in my boat. In one pipe, I was able to run my depth and speed sensor (cheap fish finder), power for the Auto Pilot, and 2 separate 8 ga for the trolling motor all through one pipe. It was very tight, but was able to pull it through. So I think 1" would be big enough.

Oct 11, 2015
I went with white oak. I cut and finished the new mast support and have plenty left over to replace some of the wood pieces that are very weathered.
I built a stainless steel bilge pump bracket and installed it under the cabin floor. Currently the exhaust tube and wires are facing forward and coming out of the hole. I'm going to turn the pump 180° and mount a bilge water exhaust in the transom, but that's after I put her in the water to find out exactly where the water line is.
The only two wires running to the stern will be the transom light and the bilge pump switch. I could do the Pvc pipe conduit method, but I really need to draw up a wiring diagram.
I also pressure washed the inside and outside and the inside will get a light sanding and paint within a week.
2 new shrouds and the forestay are being made for me now. I am keeping the intermediate shrouds, as they look fine.
I recently rebuilt a 7.5hp Gamefisher (Sears) outboard that weighs less than 40lbs that I'll use on here for now.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oct 11, 2015
The cockpit benches were a little soft. 2 layers of 6oz glass has made them much sturdier. I'll do the same to the floor this weekend. Then on to topside paint.
image.jpeg