Sliding hatch "lips" cracking

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My gelcoat and Preval sprayers arrived! :D

It's a good thing I ordered two sprayers for the one job, because for some reason the first batch kicked a lot quicker than I expected, before I was done spraying. I mixed up a second batch real quick and drove on. I think it came out pretty well, except for a couple spots where I went too heavy. I guess I can sand them down easy enough, if they're noticeable?

Because of where this repair was, I didn't bother trying to tint the new gelcoat to match the old. I figured even if it was three shades off, it wouldn't look "wrong" just going down the sides of the hatch. But, as luck would have it, the color was very close to a spot-on match right out of the can!

10.jpg

28mfgg0.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
very nice!! did you do anything to the underside where all of the "raw" glass was? post up some pics of what that looks like

Sep 30, 2013
I'm leaving the underside as is. Since it's invisible from inside or out, I can't find a reason to spend any time on it when I could be sailing! It'll stay like this, except that I sanded it smooth where it contacts the rail:

9.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
AAAAAND it's done!!

That wasn't so bad. But I highly recommend Stingy Sailor's technique as a way to avoid letting the hatch get to the condition this one was in.

Of course I had to shine the hatch up before reinstalling it:

ei5h79.jpg

30rthfd.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Wasn't there a thread a while back about using teflon tape or something to eliminate the friction caused screeching when opening and closing the hatch?

Sep 30, 2013
My understanding is that when they screech, it usually means the leading edge of the hatch is scraping along the cabin top, like a giant fingernail on a chalkboard. Which means you need to build up the flanges like Stingy did, before they start cracking like mine did. Teflon tape might raise the hatch just enough to silence the screech for a while, but it's just a band aid.

At least that's what I'm told.

EDIT: then again, it could also be the rail wearing down. Which would be a better problem to have, I think. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Because of where this repair was, I didn't bother trying to tint the new gelcoat to match the old. I figured even if it was three shades off, it wouldn't look "wrong" just going down the sides of the hatch. But, as luck would have it, the color was very close to a spot-on match right out of the can!
What brand/color of gelcoat did you use ? I know you can get exact match stuff, or tint it yourself but this would save time if i can get it locally for my own hatch repair. :)

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks, @justsomeguy! This thread is two years old now, but the repair has held up perfectly - including the gelcoat staying adhered to the epoxy.

@Leeward Rail: I used "Evercoat One Step Finish Premium Gelcoat" from Jamestown Distributors. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?process=checkout&part=77651.

I just recently bought another can of it, to use on an area of non-skid on the poptop where the glass was starting to show though. This time I did tint it, using a tiny bit of brown pigment I bought on eBay. And I do mean a TINY LITTLE BIT. I actually started by tinting a couple ounces of the gelcoat with what I THOUGHT was a tiny bit, and it came out so brown I had to pour those two ounces back into the can, thereby tinting the whole can to almost the perfect color.

Incidentally, I applied the gelcoat to the nonskid using a tiny little foam paint roller, rather than a Preval sprayer. Lowe's sells the little rollers for touchup and sample applications. It worked perfectly and looks like brand new.

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
I didn't realize this thread was two years old when reading it, but great thread.
Hey Hawk...I always tell my kids, "I'm in shape! Round is a shape!"

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
Thanks, @justsomeguy! This thread is two years old now, but the repair has held up perfectly - including the gelcoat staying adhered to the epoxy.
Gene,

After researching the approaches both you and Stingy Sailor took, and considering the dire state of my sliding hatch, I’m going to embark on the repair you did here in the next couple of weeks. We just bought our first boat (a 1994 Cat22) last week, and this will be our first repair - and definitely my first time ever working with epoxy/fiberglass. After reading this thread numerous times, and watching dozens of how-to-fiberglass videos, I think I have the gist... but I have one lingering question... In one of the last pics of your project you posted it looks like you left blue tape on under the gel coat? Is that accurate? If so, why? Was it part of building the form for laying the initial layer of glass?

Thanks for the inspiration. You’ve set a high bar! I‘lll try to remember to take a few pics along the way.

Cheers!

Jay

Sep 30, 2013
Gene,

After researching the approaches both you and Stingy Sailor took, and considering the dire state of my sliding hatch, I’m going to embark on the repair you did here in the next couple of weeks. We just bought our first boat (a 1994 Cat22) last week, and this will be our first repair - and definitely my first time ever working with epoxy/fiberglass. After reading this thread numerous times, and watching dozens of how-to-fiberglass videos, I think I have the gist... but I have one lingering question... In one of the last pics of your project you posted it looks like you left blue tape on under the gel coat? Is that accurate? If so, why? Was it part of building the form for laying the initial layer of glass?

Thanks for the inspiration. You’ve set a high bar! I‘lll try to remember to take a few pics along the way.

Cheers!

Jay
Hello Jay!

The tape isn't actually under the gelcoat. I just used it BESIDE the gelcoat, to make a clean edge. Ignore whatever pic that is. :) This was my own first fiberglass project as well. It's a good learner job. You'll do fine!

Side note: it's been over six years now, and I recently noticed I need to remove the hatch and beef it up again. It's been slid fore and aft enough times, the lips are getting a bit thin again. Time flies ...

Any questions, just ask!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Jay. The forum loves to hear from new guys. You have already hooked up with a great member in Gene. He knows his stuff concerning the Catalina 22.
Post pictures of your project. They are worth a thousand words. And who doesn’t love boat pictures.

Fair winds
John.

Oct 1, 2020
Thank you Gene and John for the welcome and encouragement! I’ve poked around this forum quite a bit and it is clearly a great group of friendly folks, and an awesome resource for a total newbie! I just had my first day with the boat, and the hatch came off quite easily without the need to remove either of the rails because the starboard side of the hatch lip is fairly non-existent. I’ll obviously need to remove one of the rails once I build the lips back up to install it. Hopefully they aren’t glued on, and they look to be in good shape, although it looks like it would be worth sanding the rails where they meet the hatch as I saw a lot of bumps inside the teak track.

Here are the initial pics of the hatch removed, upside down. The port lip looks better than it actually is, as there’s about a foot of it that’s just going to crack off, so it’ll be very little original lip to work with on either side.

She’s going in for bottom paint while I order everything I need for this project, but I hope to get started on it in about two weeks.

The rest of the boat looks to be in great shape, so I’m excited to try to tackle this hatch job in time for my Admiral’s first sailing lesson:)

More to come...

Attachments

Oct 1, 2020
Update: Ok is good enough... I hope!

It didn't come out nearly as slick looking as Gene's, but I think is should be fairly functional. It was the first time I've done anything remotely like this, and I'm pleased with how it came out overall. I'm very messy and the wood needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Things I learned:

I cut the strips of fiberglass too narrow. I realized this after looking at Gene's pictures closer. It made it a lot harder and likely reduced the strength of the lips. I did make them pretty thick height wise, so it should last a couple of years I hope, but if I have to do it again I'll use much wider strips of fiberglass.

I used a filler product (pictured) to make up for some of my cosmetic errors and also to round out the corners so the fiberglass would hold better.

When I went to reinstall the hatch it didn't fit towards the front (bow), despite all my measuring. I started to sand a lot... but then took a closer look at the rails. They were on cockeyed, and I realized that a previous owner must have made the same *error* as there were a couple sets of screw holes. I used the other holes and the rails widened enough to have a great fit... thankfully, before I went too crazy on the sanding.

I have zero clue how the paint sprayers work. I thinned the gel coat as directed on the can, and followed the directions, but didn't get them to work. I'm a moron! - I used a paint brush and I'm content with the less aesthetic result.

If anyone has any questions about this project ask Gene (lol)... or, if you want a total novice's take I'm happy to discuss what I learned.

(the pics are out of order... sorry!)

Attachments