Registered users don't see ads

Size outboard on 23.5

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by travelingjerryb, Jan 23, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,229 posts, 453 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Call Dave groshong at forum store. They can get them

2. travelingjerryb

travelingjerryb

Joined Aug 2, 2016
    65 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Olympia Washington
    Thank you sir!

3. drewsyntax

drewsyntax

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    39 posts, 3 likes
    hunter 23
    us new hamburg
    HI all -
    not sure if the thread is dead?
    But now it is between a new :

2018 Tohatsu 6 HP MFS6CSPROUL SAIL PRO Outboard Motor
    6hpHORSEPOWER

61.0 lb WEIGHT
    $1,579.99

or a used 8hp mercury 2008 I found on eBay with an electric start = 1200$
    but it is 80-91lbs from what I have found.

Price is tempting on the 8hp plus EH - wow.
    But I am concerned about the weight on the transom of motor.
    Currently it has a 96' 2stroke 9.9 mercury - which I think is 57-64lbs from what I can find out online.

Please advise + thanks

4. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    696 posts, 199 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    I would get the Tohatsu. I think that it is a good match. It has all the bells & whistles, like a real forward/reverse shiftier & a 12v charging system. I have had good luck with Tohatsu in the past. Reduced weight is a big plus in my book.

Used outboards, are a roll of the dice. Even if the 8 wasn't so heavy, I would shy away from buying one that I didn't first see in person & test out in the water for several minutes.

I had a bad experience a few years ago. I bought a little used 6hp that ran great in a garbage can full of water, for the minute that we tested it before I bought it. When I tried it on the boat a few days later, it overheated in just a few minutes. When I tried to disassemble the lower leg to fix the water pump, I found that 2 of the bolt heads had been broken off & glued back into place, just for show.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  5. travelingjerryb

travelingjerryb

Joined Aug 2, 2016
    65 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Olympia Washington
    I went with the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro and have had it out a few times now. So far so good I think it is a little rougher running than my old Honda 5hp but it hasn’t really had a chance to break in yet. The long shaft allowed me to get rid of the lowering bracket I had to use with the Honda and that in itself is a HUGE improvement!

6. travelingjerryb

travelingjerryb

Joined Aug 2, 2016
    65 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Olympia Washington
    I would recommend going with the new Tohatsu...

7. JL Stratton

JL Stratton

Joined Jan 13, 2017
    33 posts, 3 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    Un Panama City, Florida
    Like others here, I use a Tohatsu/Nissan 6hp Sail Pro with 25 inch shaft. Works perfectly well, pushes the boat at 5-6 knots (depending on conditions, easy on gas (just make sure you are using non-ethanol) easy to install and remove. Mine is an older model with the shift lever on the side instead of the front. Because she's only got the one cylinder, she's a little shaky (vibrations) at half to three-quarter throttle but I think most other engines like this would be the same. I rarely have mine above half throttle. The engine also has a screw type lock so that you can lock the engine into the trail position but I had to install a strip of Velcro loop inside the band so that it would stay put. I like to lock the motor and use the rudder when motoring longer distances but found that locking the motor while launching or retrieving in windy conditions can be very bad. Last fourth of July I was trying to launch under these conditions and got pushed into the dock while trying back out and to turn into the wind at launch. Put a hole in the boat (above the water line) and cost about $550 dollars in repairs. I have now been informed that the motor can be unlocked and rudder stowed when attempting to maneuver in tight quarters. Live and learn, I guess. All that being said, I have had other outboards and like the reliability (my tohatsu normally starts on the first or second pull) easy transport (I store my boat at the yacht club but bring the motor home in the truck.)

8. Drew13440

Drew13440

Joined May 6, 2004
    183 posts, 14 likes
    - -
    US Potomac
    Well, since there's no penalty for piling on, another vote for the Tohatsu 6. Lighter and brand new. There's no telling how many hours a ten year-old outboard has been run.

9. drewsyntax

drewsyntax

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    39 posts, 3 likes
    hunter 23
    us new hamburg
    Guys Thank you!
    Sounds like the tohastu is it. That story JimIn told scares my 1200bucks right back into my pocket!

The only other one I was considering was the mercury 5HP sail model but I would need to buy the alternate kit + ($165) plus a 3 gal fuel tank.

The only plus was that my marina mechanics are diehard mercury - and really don't want to work on anything else I think.

I have heard online that the Mercury 5hp really is a tohastu? Is that just a rumor - wouldn't be the first time a us company had a japanese motor under the hood.

Thanks !

10. travelingjerryb

travelingjerryb

Joined Aug 2, 2016
    65 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Olympia Washington
    Tohatsu does in fact make the Mercury 5hp. Same exact motor with a different carb.

11. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    696 posts, 199 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    Tohatsus sometimes wear an Evenrude logo as well.

12. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,229 posts, 453 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Tohatsu small engines also builds the Mercury and Nissan engines and funny thing manuals are identical. The older Mariner engines were Tohatsu

Remember one thing, burn only ethanol FREE gas to prevent corn crap clogging jets in carb or yo will be seeing my ugly face getting to make dinner for me 68B02BAB-6219-4ED8-B5D8-1E9953059E7A.gif

Jimmy likes this.
  13. Jimmy

Jimmy

Joined Jan 28, 2018
    43 posts, 11 likes
    Hunter 26
    Us lake Powell lake mead
    I just put a 7 pitch 4 blade on my Tohatsu 9.8 did a comparison test in a barrel this thing pushes some water compared to the 7.5 3 blade it’s probably 30 percent more water being forced around in the barrel. Hunter 26