Size of Spinnaker and whisker poles for a catlina 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2012
Catalina 27 City Island
Hi,

I recently bought a 1973 Catalina 27 and am looking to purchase a used spinnaker pole and a used whisker pole. Does anyone know what size poles fit my boat (length and diameter)?

Thanks,
Frank

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Spinnaker pole can be no longer than the "J" dimension. That would be the distance between stemhead and mast base..... the lower part of the fore triangle. You can find you boat's dimensions in any number of ways..... one would be to study the information available on the owner's site.... www.catalina27.org ... or you could go to any sailmaker's website, they all have a dimensions database... If you're looking for inexensive sails try this site: www.thesailwarehouse.com they have a database and stock sails in different quality levels. The info will give you a good base of comparison as you widen your search.

Don't forget that besides a pole and spinnaker, you will need additional rigging and fixed points on the mast and deck to attach everything.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
CaGuy I checked your ad and your video... that's a symetrical spinnaker. Note the dimensions in the ad 30 ft luff, 19ft foot... no leech dimension... "mid-girth" is a term used to describe a spinnaker's fullness of shape. Also, in the video the there are red and green edges corners .... these identify the luff/leech and tack/clews. This type of sail has no fixed luff or permanently attached tack. A symetrical spinnaker's two lower corners alternate as tack and clew, depending on which side of the boat the sail is set.

So.... what you're getting is a sail that will function best with a pole and related spin gear. On this type of sail the spinnaker sock is not very useful.... especially on a smaller sail such as this. I would suggest acquiring a "turtle" bag for launch and recovery.... since you'll have to have some one on the foredeck to handle the sail anyway.

That said, I guess you could use it without the pole...but it won't work as well that way.... these type of sails need to be flown high, out in front of the headstay. Thus the pole.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Joe, I had a symetrical and an asymetrical on my Mac 25. I mostly used the asymetrical simply because it was easier to set up solo. I used a sock with both. It made it much easier to retrieve the sails alone. I really ony used the sym spinnaker in the bay for short practice runs. The Asym came in handy on the long sail back from Catalina where I was on a broad reach most of the time.
Eventually I will get a pole for the symetrical sail. In fact I am head back to Apple Valley to pick up the rest of the rigging for the Luger mast. With all of the C-27's he's taken apart I'm sure he has a pole or two.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
There's one currently listed on ebay (2")...would be fine
That one is only 10'. The J length on the Cat 27 is 11-3. That pole is exactly like the one I had on my Cat 25.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Joe, I had a symetrical and an asymetrical on my Mac 25. I mostly used the asymetrical simply because it was easier to set up solo. I used a sock with both. It made it much easier to retrieve the sails alone. I really ony used the sym spinnaker in the bay for short practice runs. The Asym came in handy on the long sail back from Catalina where I was on a broad reach most of the time.
Eventually I will get a pole for the symetrical sail. In fact I am head back to Apple Valley to pick up the rest of the rigging for the Luger mast. With all of the C-27's he's taken apart I'm sure he has a pole or two.
Yeah, I used my racing spin without a pole once or twice and it was a disaster because it was so full, plus with both leech/luffs the same length it was hard to keep it out of the water unless you sheeted it all the way back, then it still didn't perform well. I bought an asymetric sail soon after... it came with a dousing sock, purchased from CruisingDirect, now North Direct. I works a lot better of course, because it's being used correctly.

I hope you get a pole, because it'll be so much more fun with your new sail. I would be willing to come over (I'm in Riverside) and crew with you. I never use my pole without at least one other crewmember knowing how to work it. I recommend practicing at the dock, then flat water, before going out in the ocean... It's a blast to sail with the big chute, but it takes at least two experienced people.

My comment on the sock is from my single handing experience with my 27 footer. I tried launching and taking down the cruising spinnaker out of my racing spin's turtle and really liked the simplicity..... so I'm going to buy another turtle bag and save the sock for days when inexperieced crew are out.... they can stand at the mast after I get it rigged and operate the device. They think it feels pretty cool to see the sail fill and collapse when the handle the control line....anything to get them excited about sailing, you know.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I hope you get a pole, because it'll be so much more fun with your new sail. I would be willing to come over (I'm in Riverside) and crew with you.quote]

Love to have you, I'll be in Redlands this Saturday (Dad's 90th), and in Apple Valley on Sunday picking up the rest of the rigging. I am off for Winter break from 12/1712 - 1/9/13.
It's always nice sailing with someone who is experienced.

Nov 29, 2012
Pearson 32 MKE
Proper whisker pole

Hi,

I recently bought a 1973 Catalina 27 and am looking to purchase a used spinnaker pole and a used whisker pole. Does anyone know what size poles fit my boat (length and diameter)?

Thanks,
Frank
You can use a 7-15 twist lock pole from Forespar (#407101) 3 section pole that is 7 ft long when collapsed and 15ft when poled out totally. You could upgrade to a 10-18 Line Control for more money(401107). Both are properly sized, different pricing. The Line control can be easily adjusted with the pole on the mast while the twist lock needs to be removed from the mast for length adjustment.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I hope you get a pole, because it'll be so much more fun with your new sail. I would be willing to come over (I'm in Riverside) and crew with you.quote]

Love to have you, I'll be in Redlands this Saturday (Dad's 90th), and in Apple Valley on Sunday picking up the rest of the rigging. I am off for Winter break from 12/1712 - 1/9/13.
It's always nice sailing with someone who is experienced.
Ok Joe, I Picked up a 12' x 3" pole today. I didn't have time to pick a mast track, but I did get him to throw in the fairlead that will fit the C-27 track. I'll be going back in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.