Singlehand Suggestions - Hunter 25

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hi WiscoSailor,
It looks like you got a lot of great advice, already. I did a lot of single handed sailing on a Macgregor 26 and later on my current H260 WB. The lazy jacks are very helpful. I had roller furling on my Mac which uses a much larger jib. The H260 has a large main and small jib, so I use a simple jib down haul line led back to the cockpit to help bring it down quickly without going to the front of the boat. I have an autopilot, too, and it is really helpful to keep the boat heading straight in case of wake, wind shift, etc. The best advice I can give is wear a life jacket. It probably goes without saying... watch what is going on around you and plan ahead for your next move.
Here is a video from a sailing trip on Boston Harbor:
Fair winds...
Tom

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Thanks for the link, Tom! I saved it in a safe place.

I used your design exactly and it's worked great for 13 years or so. I helped a couple of friends rig their boats too.

May 5, 2015
Hunter 25 Madison, WI
Nothing beats a simple auto pilot. Lets you fuss with anything else while it keeps the boat on a heading. You can reef, change sails or whatever. I have 2 group 24 batteries in my Oday 25 and they get charged (12 months per yr) by a simple 50 watt solar panel and controller (total cost $80) that we don't put out in the sun except when at the mooring. When under way it is stowed.
Hi EBSail,

Do you have a brand on the solar panel and controller that you like? I've been looking at solar panels to fill a similar need in the event that I go with an autopilot.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would watch Ebay for a used autopilot. While a wheel makes it more expensive, there are deals to be had. I bought my tillerpilot for less than 80 bucks. I can tell you that while my main purpose for the tillerpilot was to enable single handing, it changed my sailing life. I sail to relax. I'd be just as happy to be a passenger as the skipper. AutoPilot has enabled me to do that. Just cruise along and let the boat do its thing. So while it really helps single handing, I'd have bought it, just for the major improvement in the quality of my sailing enjoyment.
I'd also highly recommend some sort of lazy jack system. While technically my system does not raise up and down, it does catch the sail and keep it from falling off the boom. When the sail is up, it holds the boom level, which puts slack in the catch lines. When the sail drops, the boom drops and pull the lines tight, which catches the sail. Simple system and cheap - probably 25 bucks for everything. I don't use a downhaul. I can pull down enough on the leach to get the sail down. Because the boom drops, I can reach it from the cockpit.
The area where I sail has a fairly narrow channel back to the dock. Since I have to motor, with the autopilot, that gives me time to remove both sails and the boom and get everything put away inside the cabin. By the time I hit the launch ramp, the only thing left is to drop the mast, once its on the trailer.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
If you can afford it go with the auto tiller by RayMarine. I have the ST1000 which I bought on sale and have used for the past 13 years with out a bit of trouble. I only have a single battery which I keep on trickle all winter and install it in my 23.5 in June and it works the pilot all summer without a charge. The current draw on the auto tiller is very small. It allows me to raise and lower the main and jib while under way with the outboard. Also allows me to go below while under sail and eat lunch or for a potty break.Yes sometimes I need to carefully walk forward to the bow and pull the jib down. I always wear a harness and inflatable jacket when going foward to the bow. I sail alone very often. The auto tiller is the next best thing to having a mate on board. Best improvement I ever made on my Hunter.

PS- They sell a "sail stop" that fits in the sail track to keep the bullet slugs from falling out of the track when you lower the sail.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The biggest two suggestions are controls on the pedestal for gear selection and throttle and leading the main halyard back.
Although there are good ideas here, I always told my customers to stick to the problem at hand before adding so much gear. It is these two suggestions I made which would benefit the poster so much. I left the door open to talk.