Registered users don't see ads

single line reefing

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by Matpearce, Nov 20, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Matpearce

Matpearce

Joined Feb 16, 2015
    36 posts, 1 likes
    Hi I have a catalina 310
    I am after some advice on the reefing system
    I have used the single line reefing system a few times now is a stiff breeze and when I reef there seams to be a lot of load on the eyelet on the luff where the line first pulls down ? all most pulling the eye out of the sail
    I have been keeping the stoper bolt in the mast to stop the lugs falling out but this is where all the load is building up . I am thinking about putting a track gate on the mast so the slugs can go lower and not fall out
    any one done this ?

2. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    696 posts, 96 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    when I reef there seams to be a lot of load on the eyelet on the luff where the line first pulls down ? all most pulling the eye out of the sail

Matpearce:

With regard to the main's reefing cringle, do you mean a "little" torn or what? Is the fitting "loose"?

Does the reefing tack lead go up through the cringle and back down to the boom? Or is there a strap that you are tying to? Or?

Images of the way it's rigged i) when in non reefed condition; and ii) when reefed showing what you have going would be helpful. You can do this at the dock or mooring.

Also, what is the age and condition of the main?

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    457 posts, 121 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    +1 to SG's request for some photos. We've all experienced tough reefing, so someone can probably diagnose the problem.

One of the things I'd look for is following your comment, "I have been keeping the stopper bolt in the mast to stop the lugs falling out but this is where all the load is building up . I am thinking about putting a track gate on the mast so the slugs can go lower and not fall out." A solution to this is to have the bottom slugs (any ones below the reefing grommet) attached to the sail with a small line (called a jumper or jackline; about 1/4 inch line). This is done so that when the reef is put in, the sail can fold down away from its slug. Do you have these jacklines installed on the luff of your main?

4. Bob James

Bob James

Joined May 3, 2008
    174 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Catawba Island
    Matpearce: I'm not sure I totally understand your question - are you talking about the friction between the reefing line and the grommet in the sail? I installed small blocks at each grommet and reduced the friction and doubled the mechanical advantage.

5. Captmayhem

Captmayhem

Joined Mar 31, 2013
    152 posts, 21 likes
    O'day 23
    US eastern PA Pa
    this question came up a few weeks back albeit under a different manufacturer , yes the mast/track gate will solve the issue you're having

6. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    514 posts, 46 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    Or do you head into the wind to release some pressure on the sail to make it easier to reef... Just a thought.

7. dziedzicmj

dziedzicmj

Joined Aug 13, 2012
    371 posts, 45 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Ottawa,ON Ottawa
    A dog-bone installed in the cringe might alleviate the problem. And this is a quick, easy and cheap fix.

8. b.nelson

b.nelson

Joined Jun 2, 2009
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Ephraim WI
    Contact mastgate.com. I use their system and it works great.

9. b.nelson

b.nelson

Joined Jun 2, 2009
    11 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Ephraim WI
    Please supply more information on the blocks you have added. Size, attachment maybe a picture or two.
    Thanks

10. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    929 posts, 8 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Mat, are you releasing tension on the halyard? I normally lower the main until the reef cringle is close to the boom, snug up on the reef line and secure the clutch, then tighten up on the halyard. Neither the luff cringle nor the leech cringle will actually be on the boom, since the single line passes aft from the leech cringle to the shieve in the boom at an angle, and the two cringles will tension equally when the halyard tensions.

11. valcour

valcour

Joined Mar 6, 2008
    245 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Scott Creek, VA
    I installed a second reef, and have sheaves in both reefs. Here is a photo of the jumper to the slug discussed above. Without this you cannot reef without removing the slide stop, but I believe this was standard rigging on the original OEM main. Even with the blocks, I still need to leave the cockpit to put in the reef properly. Traditional slab reefing with two lines is just as easy in my opinion, but this is the way the boom was set up by the OEM, so i live with it.

Attached Files:

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.