single line reefing

Feb 16, 2015
Hi I have a catalina 310
I am after some advice on the reefing system
I have used the single line reefing system a few times now is a stiff breeze and when I reef there seams to be a lot of load on the eyelet on the luff where the line first pulls down ? all most pulling the eye out of the sail
I have been keeping the stoper bolt in the mast to stop the lugs falling out but this is where all the load is building up . I am thinking about putting a track gate on the mast so the slugs can go lower and not fall out
any one done this ?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
when I reef there seams to be a lot of load on the eyelet on the luff where the line first pulls down ? all most pulling the eye out of the sail

Matpearce:

With regard to the main's reefing cringle, do you mean a "little" torn or what? Is the fitting "loose"?

Does the reefing tack lead go up through the cringle and back down to the boom? Or is there a strap that you are tying to? Or?

Images of the way it's rigged i) when in non reefed condition; and ii) when reefed showing what you have going would be helpful. You can do this at the dock or mooring.

Also, what is the age and condition of the main?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
+1 to SG's request for some photos. We've all experienced tough reefing, so someone can probably diagnose the problem.

One of the things I'd look for is following your comment, "I have been keeping the stopper bolt in the mast to stop the lugs falling out but this is where all the load is building up . I am thinking about putting a track gate on the mast so the slugs can go lower and not fall out." A solution to this is to have the bottom slugs (any ones below the reefing grommet) attached to the sail with a small line (called a jumper or jackline; about 1/4 inch line). This is done so that when the reef is put in, the sail can fold down away from its slug. Do you have these jacklines installed on the luff of your main?

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Matpearce: I'm not sure I totally understand your question - are you talking about the friction between the reefing line and the grommet in the sail? I installed small blocks at each grommet and reduced the friction and doubled the mechanical advantage.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
this question came up a few weeks back albeit under a different manufacturer , yes the mast/track gate will solve the issue you're having

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Or do you head into the wind to release some pressure on the sail to make it easier to reef... Just a thought.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A dog-bone installed in the cringe might alleviate the problem. And this is a quick, easy and cheap fix.

Jun 2, 2009
Catalina 310 Ephraim WI
Please supply more information on the blocks you have added. Size, attachment maybe a picture or two.
Thanks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Mat, are you releasing tension on the halyard? I normally lower the main until the reef cringle is close to the boom, snug up on the reef line and secure the clutch, then tighten up on the halyard. Neither the luff cringle nor the leech cringle will actually be on the boom, since the single line passes aft from the leech cringle to the shieve in the boom at an angle, and the two cringles will tension equally when the halyard tensions.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I installed a second reef, and have sheaves in both reefs. Here is a photo of the jumper to the slug discussed above. Without this you cannot reef without removing the slide stop, but I believe this was standard rigging on the original OEM main. Even with the blocks, I still need to leave the cockpit to put in the reef properly. Traditional slab reefing with two lines is just as easy in my opinion, but this is the way the boom was set up by the OEM, so i live with it.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Contact mastgate.com. I use their system and it works great.
Do you know if they have a stock unit for the 310 mast, or did you send them all of the measurements? I did this on our C27 and want to do it on our C310. My wife is too short to reach headboard, and bringing the luff down lower would solve that problem, and a few others.