single line mainsail reefing system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
Catalina 27 Port Whitby
I was looking to install a mainsail reefing system for my C27 (1990 stnd. rig).I came accross a system in the Harken manual - it's a single line setup (prodcut code 430). Just checking if anyone is familiar with this reefing system and if it is suitable for my size boat.

Any asistance will be appreaciated.

Thanks,
Richard

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
According to their website the 430 is rated for small to mid-sized boats up to 27 feet. I'd think it would work. http://www.harken.com/rigtips/MainsailReefing.php

I made a similar system for the Capri 16.5 we had a few years ago. If you put it in, make sure you use a non-stretch line. I didn't and the aft end would pull out over time.

Our Capri 22 has an in-boom system that I need to re-rig. The prior owner wasn't using it and pulled the lines out.

There's some pictures of the setup I added to our Capri 16.5 at the bottom of this page: http://www.pbase.com/sinnettc/may_2008

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
I ran across one on this web site a few years ago and use it on my C30. Rather than running the line through the grommet in the sail, add a small block and an "O" ring, attaching the block on the port side to the "O" ring on the starboard side of the sail. This requires two sets, one aft and one forward. I use 5/16" line, appropriate size Harken blocks and 1" "O" rings, cost less than $40 plus line. Works great, since you do not go through the sail there is no friction. You do need to tie the sail up a little when reefed. The same can be done for the second reef point.

kczach

Nov 7, 2008
Catalina 270 Lake Minnetonka
I have a 270 and this is a diagram of the single line reefing. It works well on the 270. I don't know how easy it would be to incorporate it on your boat.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
reef options

Using a reef hook (or two lines) will give you much better sail shape, and is not really that difficult if yo are willing to go forward. That's what I had on my 27 for 15 years and it worked fine. When I got a 310 it had a single line reefing, and it didn't work for me until I installed blocks at the cringes as Glynn recommends above. If you go to a single line, these blocks are a must (the pic shows the blocks lashed to the cringle, but I have since changed it like Glynn describes). Also, spend some time mocking up the location for the the bitter end of the line and sheave position on the boom. I had a grommet installed for the bitter end of the second reef (bolt rope main foot). The sail had an existing grommet for the first reef but I found the sail shape was better at the end of the boom.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.