Single handing the boat without roller furling

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Will Gilmore, where did you find the red bag in your picture? Does it work well to keep the sail dry and clean?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is a picture I found through the Google. I typed in "sail cover for jib", clicked on the Image filter and browsed through until I found what I was looking for. Club footed jibs usually use sail covers like the main, so I saw no reason you couldn't do it without the club. I like the idea of it opening at the top so you can launch it right out of the cover. It is the trapped moisture that I would be concerned about for long term storage. Maybe a mesh bottom with UV protection on the top side.
Here is the address for the picture, but it is from a boat for sale ad: http://www.thorusa.com/jibcover.jpg
Sew one up or have someone you know who sews make one. They can't be that complicated.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Letlmt
You asked about furling systems above which got me looking around the interweb and I found the article below.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/may02/furling.htm

Another advantage that I found with the furler setup was that when I approached my mooring ball I could drop the main early, roll in whatever amount of headsail I thought prudent, turn upwind like tacking, grab the painter and secure. If I missed the pickup I just finished the tack with the still deployed headsail and came around for another try

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
It depends on what is most important to you personally. I'm 67 and enjoy sailing. My wife and I don't have all of the agility we used to have. We are not "hard core" racers although we participate in racing.

The CDI furler with a 135% genoa that came with this Capri 22 is a good option for us in most of our sailing. Occasionally I would like to improve the foresail shape but would need to get something like Harken's MKIV style that allows the luff to be adjusted (unlike the CDI) and could even remove the furler drum to have the advantages of a hanked on sail.

I also have an O'Day 19 that I trailer to various places. It has a hanked on jib.

It is important for you to decide what you want to emphasize.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
IMHO... You'll have way more fun with a roller furling genoa!!!
Yes, you can still race... and if you're good, you can be competitive!!
And... single-handed sailing is easier, safer and more fun with a roller furler.
1078536_284743918331943_539133537_o.jpg