Shower sumps Hunter Passage 456

May 17, 2019
Hunter 456 Passage San Diego
I recently acquired a Hunter Passage 456. I am not able to locate the shower sump pumps or turn them on, I found the strainer boxes but not the pumps. Neither the aft or forward pumps run when the shower sump switch is turned on. Is there another switch by the showers?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
The sumps are under the sole and as long as they are like my 450 they are float switched bilge pumps located in the boxes. The switches power the pumps but only when the float switches make.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Deleted as the 41 DS is not the same according to the 456 manual

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Hunter 456 Passage San Diego
Thank you.

I found the issue. When the pumps went bad the previous owner removed them and cut the wires. I will order new pumps and fix the wires.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you.

I found the issue. When the pumps went bad the previous owner removed them and cut the wires. I will order new pumps and fix the wires.
I would highly reccomend not replacing these with the sump boxes.
These sump boxes are junk, and the motors clog up with just 3 strands of hair.
Constant maintenance
Go with the Whale IC grey water pump system. Totally bullet proof
Plus, you can drain your airco condensate into it as well.
Yes, this will cost more than a plastic box.
But you are getting a high quality pump system

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I would highly reccomend not replacing these with the sump boxes.
These sump boxes are junk, and the motors clog up with just 3 strands of hair.
Constant maintenance
Go with the Whale IC grey water pump system. Totally bullet proof
Plus, you can drain your airco condensate into it as well.
Yes, this will cost more than a plastic box.
But you are getting a high quality pump system
1+ on this. We replaced our Attwoods with Whale Grey Water IC. Much better design avoids leaving trapped water standing in a box which can lead to boat smells etc.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a h41, so no boxes, but we replaced the ITT wobble pumps that had screens in front of the pumps with the Whale pumps too. No more bleeding trying to clean out the screens. The whale pumps could pump golf balls over board!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a h41, so no boxes, but we replaced the ITT wobble pumps that had screens in front of the pumps with the Whale pumps too. No more bleeding trying to clean out the screens. The whale pumps could pump golf balls over board!
Yes, the whale gulper pumps can actually pump shredded socks, as they display at boat shows.
The plastic sump boxes are nothing but service & mess. Literally something that belongs in the dumpster
So, the whale IC has an additional benefit that you can connect your airco drains, etc into the “T fitting” input.
So, all your grey water goes overboard with just 1 pump.