Shower Drain pops Vac Break Valve

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
On my Catalina 309, the shower drain and head inlet are piped to the same thru hull. Recently, someone closed the thru hull to the head. Then when using the shower, turned on the shower drain. This popped the one way valve from the vacuum break device. This caused leakage down the side of the boat. Are all 309's piped this way?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Yes - from the factory. I replaced my head with a fresh water electric flush model, moved the sink drain to the former head inlet, and now use the former sink drain seacock for a wash down pump plumbed to a deck fitting in the anchor locker. Thais way you can't accidentally blow a hose if you forget to open the shower drain seacock.

Feb 8, 2014
Catalina 309 Queenscliffe Marina
Refitting valve

On my Catalina 309, the shower drain and head inlet are piped to the same thru hull. Recently, someone closed the thru hull to the head. Then when using the shower, turned on the shower drain. This popped the one way valve from the vacuum break device. This caused leakage down the side of the boat. Are all 309's piped this way?
I have the same issue, due to similar circumstances. Can I ask - were you able to reseat the valve? If so, how? e.g. persuasion with a mallet or silicone spray, etc.? We cannot seem to fully reseat our tap lever, as the fitting seems very tight (and is at an awkward angle).

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Mine was easy, I think the cap holding the valve was threaded, unscrewed and popped the valve in. Make sure it's the correct orientation (duckbill in)