Should I purchase a 1987 Hunter Legend 37.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2009
Hunter 37.5 Kittery
I have been offered a 1987 Hunter Legend 37.5 for a very cheap price. It has been on the blocks for the past ten years. The owners live out of state and have decided to get rid of the boat.

According to the owners, this was a great boat and it sailed great when it was taken out of the water ten years ago. Due to job relocations, they had to move out of state and were never able to take the boat with them.

I have been in the boat and it needs a good cleaning both inside and out. Overall, the boat seems like it is in good shape. I have not had a survey done but will do so before I consider buying it.

I would welcome everyone's thoughts about what to look out for in this model boat, in general, but also in this model that has been on the blocks for the past ten years.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check out the metal tanks for corrosion.. Check out the exposed steering cables under the inspection cover in the cockpit floor.. Biggest problem I recall is rain water leaking into the cabin top around the fixed ports..The engine is going to be a big concern if it's been sitting for 10 years. Before even thinking about turning it over, I'd want to pull the injectors and squirt some oil in each cylinder. gently rock it by hand to free it up then with the injectors still out, spin it with the starter until the oil pressure alarm turns off. Disconnect the water pump while doing this.. I would start it on the hard after freeing it up, using the method of using a bucket that's been discussed previously here on the forum. That is a pretty good sailing boat.. If you purchase, you are going to want to remove the strainer at the tip of the fuel pickup, and think hard about relocating the engine stop from the companionway steps, into the cockpit. Get a good surveyor and go over the boat with him .. There is a pretty good representation of 37.5 owners on this forum.. They’ll have much more useful info.. ENJOY !

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Per usual Claude gives great advice(above). You should also read the 46 reviews under the "Boat Info" tab. Ten years ago I nearly purchased a 37.5. It was a little out of my wife's price range(well within mine) and had some teak damage from water ingress. I have always thought the Legend series to be the prettiest of all Hunters. And I know that they sail well, I spend time on a friend's boat.

Jan 22, 1999
Hunter 35 PENSACOLA, FL
Check The Paper Work

Don't believe that Hunter made a 37.5 in 1987.
A HL37 yes.
Not much of a diference but you should be sure

BR

Oct 13, 2007
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh
I own a 37.5 Legend. I have owned and sailed on many boats,and I can say the 37.5 is a fast,very confortable,and easy to sail boat. The room below is as much as most 40' boats. As always,the buyer must be aware and have a good survey done.A good model or year does not mean a good buy as with all things....

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out the Boat Info tab for the difference between the 37 & 37.5. I agree that you are probably looking at the 37 and not the 37.5.

I think that they have the same hull, but there are many difference in the interior design.

Jun 16, 2004
- - Serene Zelda, Irvington, VA
Follow advice given about engine and get good survey. I have the same boat. It is "officially" a Hunter Legend 37, but in fact its overall length is 37'6". Same boat was made a few years like yours and mine with only limited small changes in cabin. My 1988 is exactly like yours except your starboard side setee is likely split with a little table under TV while mine the cushion continues all the way. Next change in about 1990 was to turn rear berth to be crosswise instead of in-line. The big changes came whne new number H37.5 was used and they mainly included B&R Rigs and things like that. Ours, (the 87 and 88) have never been beat for speed, though creature comforts slowly improved in later years.
I absolutely love mine! Have considered several possible trades up or sideways but never found just the right mix for me as with this boat. She is fast, comfortable, sails well, and is low maintainence with so little exposed wood. High freeboard give good headroom but does affect both heel angle for given winds and leeway adverseely, but not too bad. Is she strong? read my article in SAIL from January 2008 (Voice of Experience column) about our knockdown in freak microburst with no damage whatever. I've been off Cape Hatteras without issues, circumnavigated DelMarVa penensula, and done lots of 2-4 day non stop trips with crew of up to 6--plenty of space and takes any conditions we encountered OK. You can spend lots more $$$$ and get a prettier or faster or stronger or ...... boat, but you will never get this great a combination of all together any batter than in the older 37 legend. I do lots of singlehanding (or sailing with only wife who does NOTHING but sit) and I chose 37 over 35 because main traveller is easier to reach than on boats with it positioned abover main companionway. I would not trade mine for any boat I have ever been on, including much higher value vessels. If its in good shape, and you nurse back whatever ain't, she should serve you well.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
yes, for the right price

I have been offered a 1987 Hunter Legend 37.5 for a very cheap price. It has been on the blocks for the past ten years. The owners live out of state and have decided to get rid of the boat.

According to the owners, this was a great boat and it sailed great when it was taken out of the water ten years ago. Due to job relocations, they had to move out of state and were never able to take the boat with them.

I have been in the boat and it needs a good cleaning both inside and out. Overall, the boat seems like it is in good shape. I have not had a survey done but will do so before I consider buying it.

I would welcome everyone's thoughts about what to look out for in this model boat, in general, but also in this model that has been on the blocks for the past ten years.

Thanks for the help.
The legend 37.5 and 40.5 were fantastic boats. You will need to do your homework, but having said that, it is a very fast, forgiving cruiser. Leaks will need to be fixed. be sure to check for deck delamination, which was a big issue in this series. The usual spots are the side decks approximately midships. While this won't be a huge structural problem, it will greatly affect value in resale

H

hobieman2

We own a 1993 37.5 Legend. This is a very fast, forgiving and responsive vessel. I agree with the other posts that the interior offers as much if not more space as most 40 footers. Deck delamination can be an issue on either side of the mast step but can easily be fixed via resin injection. Our surveyor agreed the location is common on this design but almost always does not affect structual interity. We'd buy our boat again in a heartbeat if that says anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.