Shortening sails on C&C38 Landfall

Apr 30, 2018
C&C 38 Landfall Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Hi, guys. I am a freshly baked C&C38 Landfall owner and trying to figure out how to make her happy. :) She has both pedigree and character and I'm trying to understand how to get most out of her without pushing her too much.
Here's a question for you: at what wind speed / sea conditions do you feel like reefing the main sail? 1st reef? 2nd reef?
I know this is actually a function of the crew / boat / condition combination yet still?
Thanks in advance

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Saltyalex in my experience most boats go faster standing up rather than burying the rail with green water tapping on the portals. Take her out in different breezes and give her a run. 15 degrees heel in 20 knots with a single reef. How fast is she? Can you control her or is she trying to round up on you? Shake the reef out and see what happens. If you have to dump the main to maintain control then you likely have too much sail.
30 knots would have me tying the second reef in fore sure. But each boat has her sweet spot. You need to take your boat and discover it together.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus:
With js. 20 knots for a 38 is not excessive, but that's probably about where I'd be considering a first reef. Get much above 30 knots and I'd sail my second reef back to port if that was an option. You will have to make that call at the time. Sea state, who your crew are and whether or not the admiral is onboard will all be a factor in that decision. You are already sensitive to the question, so you are not likely to make a bad one. Be conservative until you are sure you don't need to be, then be conservative anyways.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the group, Salty..
Answer is one of those non answers.... the answer is "It depends." on lots of things .. condition of sails, extra weight on board, cleanliness of bottom.. etc.. experience with the boat is the best determinant.. usually 15-25 degrees of heel is ok and sails can be adjusted to stay inside that band..
Again, Welcome! and enjoy the boat!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since the C&C is a masthead rig the primary way of shortening sail is to use a smaller headsail. On mastheads of that era the main isn't really that big and it's function is to steer the sailplan. Since it isn't practical to bend on a different headsail if the sea breeze comes up, you may end up using mainsail reefs for depowering the rig. So, my way of deciding when it's time to reef is that when the traveler has been let down and the sail can't be trimmed from flogging. It doesn't matter so much if you are sailing solo, have crew, or which headsail you use. If you can't trim the main you should reef it. If you have to reef a lot you could use a smaller headsail. With a 150% and sailing solo you may want a reef in 12-15 kts.. I used to sail my Ranger with the 110 and no main if I wanted a mellow sail in our 18 kt. sea breeze. I couldn't point but it was enjoyable.

Apr 30, 2018
C&C 38 Landfall Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Keep her upright - that's what all the books say :) I spent last ten years sailing a bigger and much heavier yawl-rigged boat. She just started having fun at 20 knots. Latitude is different. She heels readily but it looks like she loves it as I totally keep control and she is pretty steady on course. Yet as she is twice lighter than my previous boat I decided to ask people who might have an actual experience with C&C 38 Landfall.
Thank you all guys for your tips. I really appreciate