Short of Splashing the Boat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
CaptGregg said:
Hey GorillaToast,

Found a leak today, my compass seal is broken and the starboard settee cushion is soaked on that end. One of the projects tomorrow, seal that leak.
Yeah, waiting to get my boat out of the garage and see if my new compass install leaks.

Good lick with yours.

Sep 2, 2011
CaptGregg said:
No, I have no hoses in the locker, I was planning on putting my outboard's fuel tank in the floor of the cockpit under the tiller. I was looking at my two port aft vents as being a mosquito door and how to resolve that issue. I was also thinking if that rail went under water, that could be an serious issue since I don't have hoses connected to stem the flow of water coming in.
Then why not fit something to the collar the hose would clamp to? Something like a plastic lid of some sort. No water and no bugs.

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
I thought about matching some hose to the collar and cap it off but then if water fills the hose and sits, that's just nasty. I was thinking of sealant and a lid on top on the front scoop and screening in the back scoop.

Sep 2, 2011
CaptGregg said:
I thought about matching some hose to the collar and cap it off but then if water fills the hose and sits, that's just nasty. I was thinking of sealant and a lid on top on the front scoop and screening in the back scoop.
Or, you could just take the cowls off, and glass over the holes.

Sep 2, 2011
Here's the solution I came up with. I hope it holds up under wind and vibration.

I cut and bent a coat hanger to the shape of the inside of the cowling, plus a little crook to grab with needle nose pliers to spring it in. Then I cut an oversized rectangle of fiberglass screen. Put the screen behind the wire, push it in, fiddle with it a bit, and voila! - no bugs.

How much you wanna bet they're not there when I pull into the launch ramp parking lot? Any suggestions for keeping them firmly attached are welcomed.

Attachments

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
My idea was not as involved, have not done it yet. I thought about going below, wrapping the screening around the tube and use a big rubber band to hold it there HA!

Sep 2, 2011
Back to the Hull Leak Problem

I have the boat on the hard now, and today I was able to get some pictures of the area under the head floor, and just forward of the forwardmost part of the keel trunk.

The first thing that sticks out is the big chunk of what appears to be concrete in photo #1. Do all 22s have that there, or could a PO have built a concrete dam in an attempt to prevent water migrating around the bulkhead into the SB storage locker?

The other photos are taken looking aft at the front of the keel trunk. Can anyone see anything that might be allowing water into that area?

The last 3 photos are taken from just forward of the port dinette locker where the keel bolt it. I had a light under the head floor, and the area the camera was in was dark. Those green glowing areas are what I think is light showing thru the fiberglass liner. I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is actually the port side of the keel trunk, but if it is...

If any of you can see anything that looks suspicious in these photos, please let me know.
Thanks.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.