Shore power

May 25, 2012
Hunter 33 Bay Shore
I have a 2005 Hunter 33. My boat uses 30 amp power cord and at my marina that is what the power supplies. What happens if I go to a different marina during the day for a stop and I want to use the power supplied their but it is 50 amp? Can I use my 30 amp power cord? Can I use the 50 amp supplied or will it damage my batteries, electric board, etc? Thank you

Mike J
Ripple

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You may have to buy a plug adapter to use with your existing 30-amp cord. I think you can get 'em at WM for around $160.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
How big is your main AC breaker. Marinco sells a 50A to 30A pigtail so I would assume you could get away with it if your breaker is 30A

Amazon had pigtail for $125
Les

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Marinco sells a 50A to 30A pigtail so I would assume you could get away with it if your breaker is 30A.

Les
I have one of those for my own use at Shoreline Marina in Long Beach where the boat was once slipped. I do, vaguely, recall being offered the use of one (Marinco plug adapter) at one marina or YC I visited as a transient guest in the past couple of years. You might call ahead if you do not wish to buy one right away to see if a marina you plan to visit has any for the use of its guests.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have one of those for my own use at Shoreline Marina in Long Beach where the boat was once slipped.
Actually, I made this one by cannibalizing an old 30-amp power cord. I cut off the end with the female connector, and then put a 50-amp plug on at the other end of that piece. They sell those 50-amp plugs here, but are apparently out of stock.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?4163

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That is all extremely dangerous and against the National Electrical Code. I have a patent pending that puts a circuit breaker in the line so that even though you plug into a 50Amp receptacle you are only applying 30 amps to the remainder of the cord and to the vessel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah, I suppose that's one reason why the plugs are not directly interchangeable--to prevent people using them as I describe above; i.e., a 50-amp source going into a 30-amp system.o_O BTW, this is similar to the admonitions we hear against use of the portable generators/inverters---electrically not really safe. Hasn't done a thing as far as I can see to inhibit the use of those things aboard sailboats!!!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That is all extremely dangerous and against the National Electrical Code. I have a patent pending that puts a circuit breaker in the line so that even though you plug into a 50Amp receptacle you are only applying 30 amps to the remainder of the cord and to the vessel.
I appreciate the concern for danger and code compliance, but mightn't the warning be a little overstated? 50 amp capacity at the pedestal doesn't necessarily mean 50 amps thru a 30 amp cord. That would only be the case if there is something on board or a combination of things that would draw 50 amps or at least more than 30 amps. In that case, I would think the breaker(s) on your panel should trip. Of course, there is no substitute that can justify sacrificing safety, but I would think practical application would do no harm.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I had a Neutral burn right off the crimp connector in the Nav Station. All factory wiring. As connections get loose from age and vibration, the amperage load increases across the same devices until it exceeds the 30 amp draw. Having 50 available amps is not a good idea when all the wiring is designed for 30 amps. It can't hurt to err on the side of safety. ;)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The new docks at Alamitos Bay, Long Beach have separate 30 and 50-amp outlets. So, I no longer need to use the adapter except sometimes when travelling, as I mention above.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
How many of us have 15 amp extension cords plugged into 20 amp circuits in our houses?

Look around it aint unusual
That's actually legal because you are feeding multiple outlets around the house so there is the likely hood that there is not the full 20 amps available to one item. I'm not a fan of it either but I can't argue with the NEC as an authority. My pockets aren't that deep.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
As a general rule I use 20 Amp outlets when there is 12 wire to the box. So code says the bathroom, kitchen counter and dining room must be wired to a 20A breaker and I use 20 outlets in those rooms including GFCIs on the counter top.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Similar to the DC wiring in the boat, the AC wire in the power cord has some current rating and is paired to a fuse that will blow if there is a short and protect the wire.

If you have an extension cord rated for 30 amps and plug it into a 50 amp socket with some sort of adapter, everything of course works fine but if there is a short on the other end of the extension cord, the cord wire could start on fire or melt the insulation before the fuse blew. That is why there is always a fuse when a new smaller gauge wire run is used

Uncledom, maybe you know this for home use. I think 14 gauge is rated for 20 amps and is typical for house wiring that is 20 amp fused / 15 or 20 amp sockets. However, it is very easy to buy a 16 gauge extension cord that is only rated for something like 13 amps. This sort of seems like it falls into the marginal idea category if there happened to be a short. But this would seem to be allowed by UL and NEC????

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
14 gauge is rated for 20 amps and is typical for house wiring
14 gauge wiring is now illegal by the ICC codes in residential housing. You can't even use it as the "traveler wire" on a 3 way 100 watt ceiling light.
Jim...

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
@JamesG161, I'm not sure about the ICC codes but the NEC codes approved for all state use in the USA says that a 14 Gauge wire is allowed to be fused by a 15 Amp breaker, 12 Gauge is rated for 20 Amps and 10 Gauge for 30 Amps. I haven't looked in a code book in a while to be honest but I have friends that do residential wiring all the time and I'm pretty sure it would have come up in conversation as that would be a monumental code change.