Shore Power

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 30 Denison
I'm a new Catalina 30 owner (1990), and I'm curious if I need to be doing something when I connect and disconnect from shore power? Right now I just pull the plugs out and put them back in when I get back. Do I need to flip a breaker or anything?

Thanks,
Joe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My practice is to shut off the AC breaker on the boat plug in the boat side cord. Run the cord alone the lifeline to the dock. Shut off the dock side breaker. Plug in to the dockside fitting. Flip the dock side breaker on. Board boat. Flip main breaker. Check polarity. Flip on breakers for circuits to be used.

Preparing to leave dock I reverse the procedure. When in doubt create a checklist and follow the same procedures. It will keep you healthy.

Main thought. Turn breaker off before pulling plug from socket.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Joe Madden, while your name is spelled differently and mine is spelled the same, Mike Tyson (that's me) says you are good doing what you are doing. Been doing it for fifteen years. Go Cubbies!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I am in the habit of turning off the AC breaker in the boat and then disconnect/connect the power cord. I do this so I am at the breaker panel if there is a polarity issue and I can hear the buzzer and flip the breaker.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The key is to not have power flowing in the line - marginally safer to kill it at the dock pedestal (incase you drop the boat end in the water) -- Which way I do it depends if I need to do a bit of work on the boat before starting the engine.

Les

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The key is to not have power flowing in the line - marginally safer to kill it at the dock pedestal (incase you drop the boat end in the water) -- Which way I do it depends if I need to do a bit of work on the boat before starting the engine.

Les
That's what I preach. Disconnect power at the pedestal before you remove the plug from the boat.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Its best to cut the dock breaker before disconnecting. Pulling the plug "hot" can cuase arcing which will eventally destroy the plug. And you should never have the boat end unplugged with the power on. Fall overboard with it in your hand and you've got a real problem.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
As was said above, make sure both breakers, dock side and boat side, are off. Plug in both ends of cord securely. Switch on the dock side breaker, switch on boat side breaker. Check polarity.
Turn off boat breaker, turn off dock side breaker. Unplug boat side then unplug dockside. Reason for unplugging dock side is so no one flips the breaker on and the boat end falls over board. :yikes:
There are boats at my marina where the shore side is never turned off when disconnecting. The arcing will eventually blacken and corrode the end terminal creating a possible short and fire. Not good.

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 30 Denison
Thanks for the great replies. I will definitely start flipping the breakers on the dock before unplugging. Several of you mentioned flipping the breaker on the boat too.....where is that at?

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 30 Denison
Joe Madden, while your name is spelled differently and mine is spelled the same, Mike Tyson (that's me) says you are good doing what you are doing. Been doing it for fifteen years. Go Cubbies!
I actually got an email to give a speech about being the hero that brought Cubs to the world series. I replied I didn't know crap about that, but I'd love to give a speech on some damn fine tax strategies....I never heard back from them. lol....

Oct 22, 2014
flipping the breaker on the boat too.....where is that at
Joe. You should have two breaker boards. One for AC. And one for DC. There should be a "master breaker". It turns the AC systems in the boat off. Should look something like this. Switch on upper left. AC Breaker.
IMG_1621.JPG

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I have a similar method. Turn off the main breaker on the boat, turn off the inlet breaker near the power cord inlet, Turn off the dockside power breaker then remove the cord from the boat. As a point of interest, if I am leaving for any length of time say a weekend trip, I will be closing up the cord in a plastic bag to keep moisture from entering the terminals and causing corrosion. I have had an incident with a corroded plug dock side causing over heating and as of today ordered a smart plug for the boat end and the marina is going to charge me to replace THEIR dockside outlet. I had read everything MaineSail had written about them, it was on my list but unfortunately way at the bottom. Live and Learn, thankfully I was on the boat when the magic electron show began and was able to depower the system before anything really bad happened. Pictures to follow.

Oct 22, 2014
the marina is going to charge me to replace THEIR dockside outlet
Kim. Unclear about this statement. The smart plug uses the same three prong twist plug as the marina had before the fireworks. As long as their wire is not burned the smart plug attaches normally. The advantage is the improved receptacle in the boat end.