Shore Power Question

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
I have looked carefully but I can't find a picture of the placement of the shore power inlet on a Hunter 23. Does anyone have a picture of their installation or a good description of where they put it?? Thanks

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Mine has no shore power, so likely it was not a factory install. I assume others have added it. If I had to do it, I think I might put the socket either inside the lazarette or maybe on the cockpit wall under the cover for the gas tank.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
I think I woul keep it out of the tank bay. A spark while connecting or dis connecting could be a problem I think. Rog

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My Hunter is in the port laz. Fuel in the stbd. The laz opening has a formed notch to allow the hatch to close completely. My MacGregor connection was on the outside, in the OB motor well .
Take a good look at the marine SmartPlug when you install your power. They just make sense.
https://smartplug.com/marine/inlets/

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Good point on the spark. If I did it that way I'd move the tank before connecting or disconnecting electric.

Sep 7, 2011
I think I woul keep it out of the tank bay. A spark while connecting or dis connecting could be a problem I think. Rog
Justin:

Thanks for the response to my question. You indicated that you installed your shore power inlet near the port lazerette. Did you cut the hole on the cockpit side of the opening or somewhere on the outboard side???

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin:

Thanks for the response to my question. You indicated that you installed your shore power inlet near the port lazerette. Did you cut the hole on the cockpit side of the opening or somewhere on the outboard side???
I answered your PM.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justin;
Can you post us what you advised please kindly sir so others will know. When ever I talk with anyone, I try to get back what was said unless specified not to do so. It was a long time ago as a dealer installing shore power on the Hunter 23 wing keel boats.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin;
Can you post us what you advised please kindly sir so others will know. When ever I talk with anyone, I try to get back what was said unless specified not to do so. It was a long time ago as a dealer installing shore power on the Hunter 23 wing keel boats.
I saw the PM before I saw the post here so I answered it first. As it was, the OP thought we had the same boat but I was referring to where it was installed on my old Mac. It's not helpful other than the shore power backside was accessible from inside the laz.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justin;

Thank you for responding back so quickly as I appreciate it. Any time I can help, let me know and if I am wrong, send me a message asap. I do want to thank you for all your contributions to the forum.
dave condon

Sep 7, 2011
Justin;

Thank you for responding back so quickly as I appreciate it. Any time I can help, let me know and if I am wrong, send me a message asap. I do want to thank you for all your contributions to the forum.
dave condon
So, Dave..as the person that started this thread, I would be very interested in knowing where dealers put the shore power inlet on H23's when requested to do so.......................

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been 30 years since installing on a 23. Trying to remember is hard to. Pictures of the cockpit lockers would be helpful for starters and the decision of 20 vs 30 amp You would need to decide on. I can tell you to work with the appropriate marine cable not household cable for 20 or 30 amp and on that boat the first outlet should have the appropriate GFI. I do not recall any other dealer installs. Hunter never installed as an option either.

Apr 27, 2010
The lazarette will let you route the wires from the shore power receptacle wherever you mount it to the bulkheads at the rear of the cabin. What do you want to power with it, where would those things be, and where do you want receptacles? I would guess you'll want to route wires under the settee seats, but where you put any control panels will determine routing.

Sep 7, 2011
I have all of the things mentioned by Dave and by Iskasp00 all figured out. I just wanted to know if anyone had dine this and if so where exactley the input recepticale was located. It sounds like the port side lazerette and I am guessing that the hole should be cut on the cockpit side. That does seem reasonable.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you have the shore power chord handy, will it fit between the lid and seat bench? If so you might want to consider placing the part in the locker to keep things dry

Sep 7, 2011
If you have the shore power chord handy, will it fit between the lid and seat bench? If so you might want to consider placing the part in the locker to keep things dry
Great idea Dave. I did not think of that but will certainly se if it would work. Thanks