Shipping height of 2009 B37????

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
Am considering shipping mine to the Great Lake. I can't get a quote without all the dimensions. I have all the dimensions except the height (after mast is removed) to bottom of my shallow draft keel (4'8" keel). It's in the water so will be a little more challenging to measure.

Anyone happen to have that???

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Sorry, I do not have the exact info, but...

Based on the line drawing found on Sailboatdata and using Visio to do a 1:1 drawing, I calculate the height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the bow pulpit to be 12' 6". If one were to round that to 13' I think one would be safe.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Shipped my 2007 B373 with a shallow keel, draft 4'11", from Chicago to San Diego. The height was somewhere around 13', but my contract with the shipper says height not to exceed 14', which of course it did not. Any shipper with a reasonable amount of experience should be able to figure out what your height will be based on your model. If they can't I would beware. Get out your checkbook too. My move = $10,500 back in June of 2016. Just for the truck. Add on mast unstep, stepping and a host of other unforeseen costs put things well over $13,000. Also, FWIW, note that your boat will be on the hard for half the year (or more some years). I found the cost to put her on the hard was virtually the same as having her in the water full time in San Diego.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Excellent info. Do you remember what shipper you used?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As long as they are using a lowboy trailer, 7 feet of draft is where you have to start worrying about the 14 foot limit. BTDT.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
sorry....typo.....meant "Great Lakes". I've sailed with earlier sailboats on all, except Lake Ontario.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Huh. For 13k, you could hire somebody to drive it up on the water and back and up again.

Nov 8, 2010
First 36.7 shipped TX to Lake Superior (1200 miles) in 2012, at the height of the $4/gallon gas. $6000 all in, including the marina charges for the travellift at both sides.

Last edited:

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Jackdaw:

I've sailed out of Bayfield, Apostle Islands area, but that's been 35 years ago. BEAUTIFUL!

Do you remember your trucking company name, contact info????????

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw:

I've sailed out of Bayfield, Apostle Islands area, but that's been 35 years ago. BEAUTIFUL!

Do you remember your trucking company name, contact info????????
Of course. Cross County. Beneteau and Jeanneau use them to deliver boats to the Great lakes.

Jeanne Lewis
Cross Country Boat Transport Inc.
23310 Lillehei Ave
Hastings Mn, 55033

651-437-2454
www.ccbti.com
Boatjockey@aol.com

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
I am at the boat now, and although it is in the water, it appears the highest point would be the top of the bow pulpit when the mast is removed...... and by my measurements, is 11'3" to the bottom of the shallow draft keel, but if I refer to some specs from Beneteau, it could be 11'8". Hopefully neither height will present shipping issues.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Not sure if it's standard, but 13' 6" is the max for off highway around here. (The power/utility companies are liable if the wires are lower.)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is the boat loaded, and is the front water tank full? If the shoal draft is measured empty then you might be drawing a little more than you think, which would add a few inches to your measurement.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Excellent info. Do you remember what shipper you used?
I used Jim Mitchell at MEI yacht management. Easy to find on google. He moves a lot of new boats around the country. Based on my experience, be prepared to look at EVERYTHING that is happening as the boat is being prepared for and actually loaded. Take nothing for granted: ie, that all the strapping on the outside of the boat holding it to the truck is not going to abrade the toe rail, that boom and mast parts are COMPLETELY covered in carpet and securely bound down and not going to rub against anything for thousands of miles. You (and as many trusted helpers that you can find) need to be present for each and every step. It was amazing to me how many common sense little things I had to correct. Multiple little divots happened to the boat, the mast, and my boat yard in Chicago actually snapped off my windex because they couldn't figure out how to detach it properly :banghead:.

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
Read my drama....Having moved two successfully, one un successfully- read in Catalina36 Association web site
https://www.catalina36.org/forum/general-discussion/total-loss-trucker-dropped-my-boat-us-2
Lots of great ideas here. Double insure your boat, meaning your trucker has a policy and you ALSO have your own policy purchased. You need to receive a copy of the truckers policy and have it checked by either a transportation professional or your own insurance agent. Why your own separate policy? Most truckers policies are bare minimum coverage and will only cover cost of boat invoice value, known as cartage or cartage value.

Tape everything, every fitting, with shrink wrap tape (1000 feet for about $10 in any hardware or home improvement center, then over wrapped with duct tape. All drawers out, empty and wrapped in blankets and over wrapped with shrink wrap tape. Preferably trailer has mast hangers on side of trailer. Use plenty of old carpet, cut in strips, shrink wrap taped and over wrapped with duct tape. All antennas off and inside boat wrapped in blankets. U haul has rental blankets and 1000 foot rolls of shrink wrap tape. Talk to the shipping and receiving marinas for recommendations on truckers they like. They might tell you who they have had bad experiences with and save you grief. If you have new boat manufacturers in your area, ask them for recommended truckers. Don’t ever hire a flat bed truck that hauls heavy equipment (read bull dozers, farm tractors) as the suspension on these trailers can shake every screw loose on your boat.

Best of luck.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Finally getting around to trucking it, and am using Jim Mitchell, MEI Yacht Mgmt., after all. Thanks for the advice.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Re-read my May 25, 2018 post above. ALSO: Jim will recommend shrink wrap tape as did PGUTIEREZ above. DO NOT use it on dodger or bimini frames or anything you do not want to waste time with Goof Off/WD 40, toothbrush and EXTREME elbow grease to get the stickum off of what you taped. Once the tape sits on the object the stickum really gloms on to it. This literally doubled the time needed to get back in the water due to this unforeseen disaster. I would use hand sized plastic wrap from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-5-in-x-1000-ft-Stretch-Wrap-5005001/202029371) next time and then over that you could use any kind of tape. Best of luck to you.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Re-read my May 25, 2018 post above. ALSO: Jim will recommend shrink wrap tape as did PGUTIEREZ above. DO NOT use it on dodger or bimini frames or anything you do not want to waste time with Goof Off/WD 40, toothbrush and EXTREME elbow grease to get the stickum off of what you taped. Once the tape sits on the object the stickum really gloms on to it. This literally doubled the time needed to get back in the water due to this unforeseen disaster. I would use hand sized plastic wrap from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-5-in-x-1000-ft-Stretch-Wrap-5005001/202029371) next time and then over that you could use any kind of tape. Best of luck to you.
And never leave the shrink wrap any longer then you have to, as it will sweat.