She's for sale!...and she's a basket case.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I don't understand why some people thing that every old, beaten up sailboat is worth saving.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I don't understand why some people thing that every old, beaten up sailboat is worth saving.
Only from the perspective we have two abandoned sailboats in our harbor now. The owners are long gone ( one died with no family). Our club ended up with them at a marine auction. The disposal folks want $14-19K to remove. We're not in a position to spend that. So they are going on Craigslist and we hope. One is a pretty nice Newport 41 with no mast and the other is a 40 something wooden ketch with no engine. We had to take possession because we couldn't legally do anything with them. Meanwhile we can't rent their slips. Please someone take these project boats away.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I think it's just the perceived romanticism of sailboats. You don't hear people saying the same thing about an old broken down cabin cruiser.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Might make a nice dockside AirBnB with just a little attention to the interior.
@Will Gilmore You buy it... You pay me and I'll haul it for you up to New Hampshire. We can set it down the road next to your other Air BnB. Put a nice skirt around the trailer, maybe in a Caribbean Blue sea color. It could be quite a hit in the recreational area you live. A unique space with a unique setting.. Why tourists would be all over themselves to get a chance to sleep in her.
Now you just need to convince your bride...:poke:

Nov 8, 2010
@Will Gilmore You buy it... You pay me and I'll haul it for you up to New Hampshire. We can set it down the road next to your other Air BnB. Put a nice skirt around the trailer, maybe in a Caribbean Blue sea color. It could be quite a hit in the recreational area you live. A unique space with a unique setting.. Why tourists would be all over themselves to get a chance to sleep in her.
Now you just need to convince your bride...:poke:
Yea why is that the people with these romantic notions never vote with their wallets?? ;^)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
She is a pretty boat. Might make a nice dockside AirBnB with just a little attention to the interior.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I think that is a major problem today. So many new non-sailors (not you, Will!), on sailing forums, sailing FB groups, are asking this question - first: "What is a good boat to live aboard?" Aiyiyi!

Affordable housing is in short supply - there is a glut of neglected sailboats; is this any wonder?

Boats make terrible houses (IMO, I'm a design builder that knows something about boats). Only sailors can make reasonable homes out of sailboats, they have the experience to know what to expect and how to do it.

The non sailor, lured by the 'living the dream - living aboard' groups, is a sucker for a derelict project boat(it floats, right?).

Once a sailboat is reconfigured for a dockside or at anchor dwelling, it's sailing days are likely over. But if it has already been stripped of any potential to sail again(like this one above), it's better for these hulls to supply some housing before being recycled as long as it doesn't add to the public trash bill.

Better to buy a cheap barge platform and plunk a garden shed on it. That's a type of housing that non sailors can understand (parts like roofing shingles vs 'how many births she got',...).

Shop at HD instead of WM. Find a good cove and live the good life.
IMG_1580.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yea why is that the people with these romantic notions never vote with their wallets?? ;^)
They do. That's why Disney is such a big corporation. It's also why sailing. It's just that some of us have already cast our limits on votes.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
They do. That's why Disney is such a big corporation. It's also why sailing. It's just that some of us have already cast our limits on votes.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I’ve worked with them and trust me, nothing that Disney does is romantic. It’s a very thought out business decision!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Better to buy a cheap barge platform and plunk a garden shed on it. That's a type of housing that non sailors can understand (parts like roofing shingles vs 'how many births she got',...).
Nice job on the cedar shingle siding. The "ice and water shield" roof with the skylight is asking for trouble though.
I just wonder how they heat that hot tub. :confused:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I’ve worked with them and trust me, nothing that Disney does is romantic. It’s a very thought out business decision!
I was referring to their public appeal. I know Disney is as mercenary as a corporation gets. But they trade on romanticism.

So many new non-sailors (not you, Will!), on sailing forums,
No problem, Tom. I think, at some point, I'm going to have to admit that I qualify to be a member of this forum because I am a sailboat owner, not a sailor. Sigh:meh:! I am having fun with you guys, anyhow. Thanks for being here.

-Will (Dragonfly)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the 62 c n c is likely a custom build. check out the youtube of the C&C 62 'maurader' on you tube to see what it's supposed to look like...