She's for sale!...and she's a basket case.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Even after taking the time to salvage and sell anything of value, then what? What is the cost to cut up and dispose of a 62 footer? I think the yard would have already tossed that one around.
I suppose that would depend on the yard's labor costs plus dumpster. The hardware salvage value may cover that. The thing's been sitting for 5 years according to @Gunni , and I would think that the yard would want to stop the bleeding and reclaim that yard space toot sweet. \_(ツ)_/

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you look at the pictures you will see other abandoned nearby vessels in states of disrepair. This is the back of the yard where boats are collected to. I doubt that this boat will end up being destroyed, but every few years the yard brings in a tub grinder. Thoroughly post apocalyptic industrial chipper spreader. Google “tub grinder”.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I found one on Yacht world for $222K
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/c-c-61-3198245/#.W8ePeGhKiUk

I can't help but think the yard would be better off restoring it themselves and then trying to sell it than just chipping it up. I know that is a big risk for the yard so... I'm wondering if they put it up for sale for .????? $150K and in the ad said they would be doing a full restoration with owner input... (you save $100K in the process) kind of deal. And you get some say in the interior accouterments, rig type, sails, etc. They get a buyer and they get work for the yard. ????

Alright... start throwing daggers.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Herrington Harbour North (HHN) is run as a working yard business. Ham Chaney operates a massive marina and dry storage facility, really well. He provides shop space for a full-spectrum of marine trades businesses. A one-stop yard. As a businessman focused on his bottom line I can’t see him having any interest in taking on boat rehabilitation projects. That is what his many marine tradesmen do for the boaters who bring their boats to HHN to have work done. Chaney provides the venue where restoration can take place. Bring your checkbook. He’ll hook you up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What's a "checkbook"?
Bring your "APPLE PAY" iPhone. or "GOOGLE PAY" android phone. Better yet. I think you can arrange direct deposit to the boat yard account. That will simplify everything.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I got to a point on my last boat (PDQ cruising cat) where I realized she was in as good of shape as she would ever be in, and that I was using her less. I could never bear to watch disuse or decline, so I sold her to someone that wanted her and would use her. I bought something smaller that interested me (F-24). I've done the same with other boats, always selling them before I lost interest and let them decline. It "feels" best, to me.

I always wonder how thing like this happen. Pretty common. With bigger boats, it is really easy to understand how some one could dream way over their head. It would be a physical and financial strain just to properly maintain that boat, let alone bring it back. And would anyone who could maintain her want her in less than Bristol condition? I doubt it. So it is rather like a mansion that can never be made modern. She's just too big. She's done.

[Yes, I seen her there for years and wondered what the story was]

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I always wonder how thing like this happen.
I guess that sometimes it is a change of circumstances. Someone's spouse got sick... lost a job... or some such thing and they hung on hoping to get back on track and just hung on too long.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's a White Elephant. I hope that's not a forbidden expression. Even if some deep pocketed C&C aficionado came along and did the restoration, and put modern electronics on it, a modern electrical system, re-power, re-rig, roller furling etc. it would still be a 70's era boat. It would likely not have electric sail controls, a modern rig, big wide berths, sun protection, or any of the amenities today's yacht buyers want and designers deliver.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There is a 1970’s vintage Cheoy Lee 45 footer in my marina yard. Boat has nice lines and beautiful bones. But the owner has neglected her for years. Sails lef on over the winter, mizzen boom lef swinging in the wind over the winter until it came off the mast, etc.

But she is intriguing...finally saw a for sale sign on her. Called the owner to see what he was asking for her. $40k. Asked if I could go aboard and take a look....he said sure. Rumor was that the engine wasn’t winterized properly and she had a cracked block, but owner denied that.

I went aboard and realized almost immediately that she was a long term project....teak decks rotted. Interior was trashed. And no way to tell what con$ition all of the systems were in...

Real shame...but I just enjoy sailing too much to take on a project like that.

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is a 1970’s vintage Cheoy Lee 45 footer in my marina yard. Boat has nice lines and beautiful bones. But the owner has neglected her for years. Sails lef on over the winter, mizzen boom lef swinging in the wind over the winter until it came off the mast, etc.

But she is intriguing...finally saw a for sale sign on her. Called the owner to see what he was asking for her. $40k. Asked if I could go aboard and take a look....he said sure. Rumor was that the engine wasn’t winterized properly and she had a cracked block, but owner denied that.

I went aboard and realized almost immediately that she was a long term project....teak decks rotted. Interior was trashed. And no way to tell what con$ition all of the systems were in...

Real shame...but I just enjoy sailing too much to take on a project like that.

Greg
That's not a project, that's murder and attempted grand larceny. 40 ThouSaND DOLLARS :eek:!

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So, I guess I have to retract the Washer/Dryer comment. I didn't look at the sister ship ad. Still it's a big project.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
We didn't care for the galley layout, but otherwise for a project...
Oh wait, we are in our mid 60s !:what: Our time line is to have everything done in life by 80. :)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
We didn't care for the galley layout, but otherwise for a project...
Oh wait, we are in our mid 60s !:what: Our time line is to have everything done in life by 80. :)
Then what? You should never have everything done so that you always have something to live for. I'm in my late sixties and can never get anything done. Figure I'm gonna live forever. :thumbup:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Just looking at the photos, she's a goner. Long gone.

The only value left in an old neglected sailboat, unless it is a significant sought after design, is the sailing part.

Once you take away rig, sails, spars, engine, and a zillion $$ of parts that allow it to sail, it's nothing but a hulking liability.

As these old boats - big and small - get in the hands of owners that don't know, what they don't know, I'm afraid it's usually a one way ticket to the landfill.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
The sad thing is the boat might be worth the asking price and would have some potential to sail again if he had just left the rig and the engine in place and took time to ensure that he prevented water penetration by sealing deck openings. The later costs very little and the former he paid good money to have undone and to store separately. He totally shot himself in the foot.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Thats a big loss. You would have to pay me to take it. A lot. But it does have that bottle of Krud Kutter...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She is a pretty boat. Might make a nice dockside AirBnB with just a little attention to the interior.

-Will (Dragonfly)