She's for sale!...and she's a basket case.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I posted about this boat a few years ago. She's been sitting untouched for the 7 seasons that I've been at this marina. I've always been curious as to what she was and why there's been no activity. Now I know.

The owner began a refit and ran out of money. To me, it looks like the owner didn't know what he was getting himself into. The paint on the port side looks good, but the starboard side has been completely stripped. I was never sure why, it makes me wonder whether the boat even needed a refit. Looking at the ad on yachtworld, I've learned that the engine was removed and is in the custody of a marine mechanic who partially dissembled it and is willing, now, to sell it to the future owner. Did the owner run out of money before he could even pay to have the engine completely dissembled? You can see that the alternator was removed and left laying on the mattress cover in the aft cabin, probably staining the cover. Maybe not a big deal, all things considered. It just shows a total lack of forethought and organization. The ad also states that there is no rig. Was it removed at another marina and has amassed such a storage bill that it's not worth buying back?

Anyway, it just seems like a huge shame. The boat was probably magnificent at one time and just fell into the hands of someone who was starry-eyed and short-sighted.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/c-c-3232551/?refSource=standard listing#.W8c67GctDcc

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
I think its probably being sold by the marina to try to cover some of the storage costs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
without a rig or working motor...? I guess I'd want the Marina to give me a quote of what it would take to have them put it back together and have it seaworthy. They would be better off giving it away and making their money off of the work it needs.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
@ $5.00 its still not a good deal. The rig alone is better than 60 grand, if you wanted to go IMF. Sails another 30. Never mind engine, generator and that mess of an interior.
As lovely as she is, I'm afraid she'll end up in a landfill somewhere. Criminal, just criminal.
I wonder how much they'd charge to lop off that dog house and ship it to me down here? At least then the ClearView would be moved to the correct window! And the davits seem salvagable.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With @capta 's estimates you'd have over $125K into it and still an interior needing total refit. With all the open holes there must be water damage throughout the boat. I don't have the time nor the inclination for that project. And I like old boats.

What's is with the plumbing pipe running between two through hulls?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Man oh Man what a shame, a once beautiful vessel destroyed by negligence and time, I could not imagine attempting to piece this thing back together, even if the rigging and engine were with it. Unfortunately there are many examples of this kind of beautiful boat abuse, there are at least (5) boats in the yard I store at that are of the same nature. Over ambitious attempts to revitalize a beauty only to end up abandon and alone so very sad. I was talking to one of the yard attendants and they can't even chop them up and get rid of them as they don't possess the titles, such a sorry shame and a truly ugly end to what was once a beauty to behold.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I know this boat, it has been at a working yard south of Annapolis (Herrington Harbour North) for about 10 years. Most of the yard trades have worked on at one point or another. Activity by the owner seemed to drop off about 5 years ago. I suspect the boat is now in the ownership of the yard owner, and that sale price is what the negligent owner owed the yard and yard tradesmen. He doesn’t want anymore DIY owner dreamweaving.

This boat is far beyond the capabilities of any DIY owner. It needs a guy with two qualifications, 1)the desire to have a fully equipped rare C&C 61 race boat, and 2) a well padded checkbook. Fact is, all the trades necessary to put this boat back in top shape are at the yard, and all relevant sail companies are 25 miles up the road in Annapolis. Hire a PM, write the checks and read the email progress reports.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Looks like a good start and compromise for the brave soul who was looking to build a 60 footer from scratch.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sad to see.. Interesting to note that someone very meticulous aligned the screw heads carefully as the hardware was bedded-in..

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yeah! I was thinking the choice of photos was odd.
Those photos are intended to show a buyer there is salvageable hardware to breakdown and resell. I don't think they imagine a sailor will buy that boat to repair and go sailing on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Those photos are intended to show a buyer there is salvageable hardware to breakdown and resell. I don't think they imagine a sailor will buy that boat to repair and go sailing on.

-Will (Dragonfly)
$40,000.00 worth?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
What's sad is that this boat has plenty of company. Why, oh why, do people buy boats, don't use them, and allow them to sit and rot? It's beyond my comprehension.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I wonder what happened to her which resulted in her condition? No rig? No engine? Looks like she's already been cannibalized. Certainly not worth $40k. Best outcome for the marina is someone willing to remove her from the yard at their cost.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey

-Will (Dragonfly)
$40,000.00 worth?
Even after taking the time to salvage and sell anything of value, then what? What is the cost to cut up and dispose of a 62 footer? I think the yard would have already tossed that one around.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
But I see it comes with a gallon jug of Kurd Kutter.
That’s a start anyway.