Shelves in fwd cabin hanging lockers and microwave -> cabinet conversion.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I just purchased a 373 (yay!), and I think I've seen 373s online with shelves in the forward cabin hanging lockers on other boats, but mine has none (boo!). Does anyone know a source for these, or have a suggested solution that won't cost me a fortune? I have very little to hang, but lots of clothing/contents that I'd like to have on shelves in there if possible.

Similarly, I also have a microwave on the boat, but keep the boat at a mooring 99.9% of the time with no shore power available, so will never really have a chance to use it. I'm considering removing the micro, and using that space for storage, but would need to do something (probably a cabinet door, but possibly shelves with fiddles or something to prevent contents from dumping out whenever I'm on a port tack. For now I'm just going to use the microwave for storage of lightweight stuff like paper towels, etc... but that's pretty a pretty inefficient use of the space for my usage.

Thanks in advance.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
In our new 423 we have a microwave that we swore we would remove and make shelves. However as it turns out it makes a great bread box.... and you have the micro just in case.

Jun 1, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Palm Beach
Adequate solar panels and a 1500-2000watt inverter will allow you to use the microwave on the mooring or at anchor.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
From what I've seen on other boats, additional shelves and fiddles are custom work done (either well or poorly) by amateur woodworkers. Since shelves and cabinets have right angles, and the exterior of boats are generally curved, each piece must be custom fit to the site. The traditional method is "templating" where you fit a piece of stiff cardboard to the space and cut it to fit, repeatedly refining the shape and making notes, then transferring that template to plywood of whatever quality you want. Fiddles are relatively easy as the pieces are standard stick wood that's smoothed then stained / varnished to match.

If you're not too handy, a local cabinet maker or handyman can help. Getting one out to a mooring - good luck as I've never tried that.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
My 2004 373 has shelves in the port locker and hanging in the stbd. The shelves look original (as second owner I can't confirm).
Suggest you call Beneteau USA. I called them looking for some interior wood components that did not show in the online parts and they were very helpful.