Sheaves

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Lots of leads here. Thanks. Here are three pics of what I'm dealing with. Trying not to have to replace the base if possible. It's secure and doesn't leak. I'm going to explore all options. This shouldn't be too be a deal, I hope. Base is 2 1/2 in. Height is 4 in.
Sheave 1.JPG Sheave 3.JPG Sheave 2.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Lots of leads here. Thanks. Here are three pics of what I'm dealing with. Trying not to have to replace the base if possible. It's secure and doesn't leak. I'm going to explore all options. This shouldn't be too be a deal, I hope. Base is 2 1/2 in. Height is 4 in.
View attachment 162743 View attachment 162744 View attachment 162745
Time to replace the whole unit. Trying to drill out the riveted sheave is going to be a long and frustrating process. If you remove the block and use a drill press it will be much easier, but then you'll have to rebed the block.

If this was my boat, I take it off and put in it the recycling pile. To replace it, I would consider 2 options. using a similar block from Garhauer or some other manufacturer or installing a pad eye and then installing a separate block and stand up spring.

Sealing deck hardware is not that difficult if you use the correct products. See this link: https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

And this link: https://marinehowto.com/sealing-deck-penetrations-to-prevent-core-rot/

If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
My my Terry... That block has been abused. Not sure your allowed to post that picture without an"R" rating warning..
Sheesh. I suppose the "R" rating stands for replace? ;) Then I saw the pic of Roland's block and sheave. I thought mine were bad. His must be an "X" rating, or something like that.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Roland, I might have an extra one.. stay tune a few days.. Ill get back with ya. Need to go and get a bag from storage to see if I have what you need.. 99% I do. Capt. Rob

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Based on your pictures and measurements, the block is probably a Schaefer Series 5 or 7 Series block

Schaefer Series 5 stand up block, has a 2" sheave (51mm OD). part number is 504-62 . Safe working load of 1750 pounds.
Or it is a Series 7 block with a 2-3/8" sheave (60mm). It has a safe working load rating of 2250. Part number is 704-62
Both have a plain bearing sheave, made of Delrin. It's well suited for high, static loads like halyards.

The street price of replacement stand up blocks on bases in this load range is between $100-150 each. Or more.

If the aluminum cheeks and SS base aren't pitted you can safely replace just the sheave. Replacing the sheaves is much less expensive.

Replacement delrin sheaves run about $15-20 each and can be ordered from Schaefer. The sheaves are available with 3 or 4 different size pins (in mm), and I don't know one fits your existing stand up block. Schaefer could answer that question if you figure out whether its a Series 5 or 7 block.

Get the OD, ID (pin size) and width to order replacements. Measure the pin hole diameter in thousandths of an inch with calipers for accuracy (or hundreths of a mm).

You'll need pins/bolts with an unthreaded bearing surface to replace the riveted sheave posts. I'm not sure where you can get them or what they might cost. We make them in the shop when we need them.

And as Dave Lochner pointed out, you're going to have to remove the blocks to work on them, I think. You'll bugger up the cheeks if you try to drill out the pin without a drill press.

Judy B

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The wind is free and everything else should be? :biggrin:
Spoken like a true democrat!
You've never heard that expression before? Around here it is a common response when marina operators complain about cheap sailors. It is a tongue and check response that usually elicits a groan from marina operators.

Unfortunately there are some sailors who try to do everything on the cheap, complain about fuel costs, dockage cost, parts cost, etc. Some are less than scrupulous and try to skip out with paying their bills. These folks give the rest of us a bad name.

May 12, 2004
Schaefer Series 5 stand up block, has a 2" sheave (51mm OD). part number is 504-62
DrJudyB, That's exactly what I have. Thanks. I think my halyard is 1/2 inch but may really be 7/16 called for for this block.

May 12, 2004
Roland, I might have an extra one.. stay tune a few days.. Ill get back with ya. Need to go and get a bag from storage to see if I have what you need.. 99% I do. Capt. Rob
Thank you, Capt Rob. Time is the one thing I do have in abundance. Standing by.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
You've never heard that expression before? Around here it is a common response when marina operators complain about cheap sailors. It is a tongue and check response that usually elicits a groan from marina operators.

Unfortunately there are some sailors who try to do everything on the cheap, complain about fuel costs, dockage cost, parts cost, etc. Some are less than scrupulous and try to skip out with paying their bills. These folks give the rest of us a bad name.
Your right on target there. I've known a few like that too... Thank's I don't "squeak" when I walk around.... LOL me bad:deadhorse:

Dec 25, 2000
Old Garhauer blocks here. No pics of the new ones, both open end. Reused the pins (axles) and springs from the original. Going to the boat this weekend and will take pics of the new blocks. As I recall I purchased them through Defender after Garhauer confirmed the model.

View attachment 162723
Pics of the new Garhauer reef blocks here. Very nice , ball bearing, high quality. Much better than the old ones.
Reef block11.JPG
Reef block11.JPG
Reef block13.JPG

Dec 25, 2000
Beautiful Terry. Strong and sexy.
Eye of the beholder, eh? As I recall they were $40 each. Bday gift from the fam. Open end style in order to reuse the old spring, axle and locking ring. No mods, no mess, no stress. :beer:

No genoa today. Delivered to the wrong store (Seattle). Will get it next Friday.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I have generally been able to get riveted pins out of blocks without too much trouble. Shivs are usually easy for me to find. Unfortunately, finding replacement pins has not been as easy. In the past I have had to resort to making axle pins on more than one occasion.