Sheaves

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Looking for a replacement sheave for my stand-up spring loaded halyard turning block. Make is Schaefer but any one that fits will do. OD is 2 in. Width is 9/16. Hole is 1/4 in. Halyard is 1/2 in. Been searching to no avail. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You're going to have a hard time finding just a sheave. It will be easier and not that much more expensive to just replace the whole block. Garhauer makes a good block and it will have ball bearings reducing friction. A nice upgrade.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Looking for a replacement sheave for my stand-up spring loaded halyard turning block. Make is Schaefer but any one that fits will do. OD is 2 in. Width is 9/16. Hole is 1/4 in. Halyard is 1/2 in. Been searching to no avail. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
You can try this one too!
Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats
Rig-Rite, Inc.Phone: (001) 401-739-1140 -- FAX: (001) 401-739-1149
www.RigRite.com

Hope this helps! Capt. Rob

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
All the West Marines around me have a selection of replacement sheaves on the shelf, right by the blocks. Prices seem reasonable, usually not more than a couple of bucks. They don't seem to carry replacement axles at my most local shop.

Jan 11, 2014
Many Shaeffer blocks have axles that are rivets and not easily removed. If your block looks like this one, then better to buy a new block.

03_86.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Shaeffer blocks were made to meet a price point. Shiny, pretty, function for awhile, often used beyond their useful life, to be discarded and replaced.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I replaced mine over the winter. I went through the attached company. I think it cost me $40 compared to the $300 it would of cost to replace the cars. The company was great. You email them your measurements. They then email you a computer generated shape. Once you give them the ok they make the sheaves and send them to you. The ones I ordered where an exact copy of the originals.

My sheaves where riveted. I drilled them out and replaced with stainless bolts with locking nuts.

https://dreamgreen.org/component/tags/tag/12-custom-made-sheaves

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
You can repair them if you have the tools and skills, but riveted blocks were made to be replaced. Every component in them has a lifespan. Better to get new assemblies, IMO.

When I had to do something about those at my mast foot, I got Garhauer one step up in capacity from the Ronstan that came with the boat. It required slightly enlarging the holes in the plate so the larger shackles would fit, but I've been pleased with the result.

May 12, 2004
Thanks for all the advice and leads. You guys are the best. My block's sheave is riveted and my thought was to drill it out and replace using a pin of some sort such as Hydro Therapy said he had done. Will check WM again and see if they have the one I need in stock. Will check out all suggested sites, also. Worst thing happens is I replace the whole thing. Just trying to save some $$. Will report what happens. Thanks again.

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for all the advice and leads. You guys are the best. My block's sheave is riveted and my thought was to drill it out and replace using a pin of some sort such as Hydro Therapy said he had done. Will check WM again and see if they have the one I need in stock. Will check out all suggested sites, also. Worst thing happens is I replace the whole thing. Just trying to save some $$. Will report what happens. Thanks again.
Check the prices on new blocks from Garhauer. By the time you buy replacement sheaves, nuts and bolts, and take the time to replace sheaves the cost will not be that much different than Garhauer and you will get a better block with less friction.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Can you please take a picture of what you have installed? That would be great for, I have extra parts on hand and if I have a part that may work for you... its pennies. you just pay to the shipping charge. Capt. Rob.
Track size in any! color needed! etc... any measurements would go far for me and others I'm sure!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Old Garhauer blocks here. No pics of the new ones, both open end. Reused the pins (axles) and springs from the original. Going to the boat this weekend and will take pics of the new blocks. As I recall I purchased them through Defender after Garhauer confirmed the model.

Reef block3.jpg

May 12, 2004
Old Garhauer blocks here. No pics of the new ones, both open end. Reused the pins (axles) and springs from the original. Going to the boat this weekend and will take pics of the new blocks. As I recall I purchased them through Defender after Garhauer confirmed the model.

View attachment 162723
That sheave looks better than mine right now. Pic coming soon.

Mar 18, 2019
Irwin 32 Corpus Chiristi, TX
You can find the whole blocks on ebay, harken, shaeffer....new, used. The whole block is the way to go.