Sheaves for Main Halyard on S2 9.2C

Discussion in 'S2' started by MMcD, Jan 30, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. MMcD

MMcD

Joined Oct 23, 2014
    11 posts, 2 likes
    S2 9.2C
    US Great Sacandaga Lake
    We have replaced the wire to rope halyards on our S2 9.2C with 3/8" rope. We want to replace the sheaves but the boat is in storage until spring. Does anyone know the size of the main halyard sheaves? Thanks!

2. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,190 posts, 44 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Have you looked at the sheaves? I did not need to change them as they accepted rope well. There was not narrow "slot" that a wire would possibly use..

3. MMcD

MMcD

Joined Oct 23, 2014
    11 posts, 2 likes
    S2 9.2C
    US Great Sacandaga Lake
    Mark what size haylard did u replace it with? We used 3/8.

Thank you for your response
    Mark

4. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,190 posts, 44 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Dont remember. I'll have to look next time there. It would have been either 7/16 or 1/2

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    1,343 posts, 204 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    If the sheaves are in good repair and the only issue is the groove for the wire, there are two paths of thought.
    One, as long as the new halyard line fits the sheave (not fatter than the width of the sheave then just go for it. The v or center u grove for the wire will not cause any trouble.
    Two. You can spin the sheave and grind/sand the groove for the new halyard size. Spin the sheave on a spindle while using a rasp of the matching diameter to grind out the wire groove in the center of the sheave. (Option 3 you can send your old sheave to be processed "ground" by a manufacturer).
    When I replaced my halyards for all rope, we chose to buy one new sheave for the new halyard and grind the other 3 on our own. A bit of dust. Go slow so as to take it down a little at a time. Like working with wood on a lathe. Results were great. Clean fit for 7/16 line and no cracking.

6. MMcD

MMcD

Joined Oct 23, 2014
    11 posts, 2 likes
    S2 9.2C
    US Great Sacandaga Lake
    John, thanks for the information !

jssailem likes this.
  7. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    4,878 posts, 211 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    [QUOTE="jssailem,... The v or center u grove for the wire will not cause any trouble.....[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree. Just as you would size a sheave for the line, if you use the U or V sheave, then line will be squeezed into it- even if only partially, and will increase wear. Get the right sheave. It's a small expense that lasts a lifetime.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Grab rail covers
Covers for sails, grab rails, pedestals, windlass, more. Brand new, no flaws!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!