Sheaves for Main Halyard on S2 9.2C

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
S2 9.2C Great Sacandaga Lake
We have replaced the wire to rope halyards on our S2 9.2C with 3/8" rope. We want to replace the sheaves but the boat is in storage until spring. Does anyone know the size of the main halyard sheaves? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Have you looked at the sheaves? I did not need to change them as they accepted rope well. There was not narrow "slot" that a wire would possibly use..

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
S2 9.2C Great Sacandaga Lake
Mark what size haylard did u replace it with? We used 3/8.

Thank you for your response
Mark

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Dont remember. I'll have to look next time there. It would have been either 7/16 or 1/2

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the sheaves are in good repair and the only issue is the groove for the wire, there are two paths of thought.
One, as long as the new halyard line fits the sheave (not fatter than the width of the sheave then just go for it. The v or center u grove for the wire will not cause any trouble.
Two. You can spin the sheave and grind/sand the groove for the new halyard size. Spin the sheave on a spindle while using a rasp of the matching diameter to grind out the wire groove in the center of the sheave. (Option 3 you can send your old sheave to be processed "ground" by a manufacturer).
When I replaced my halyards for all rope, we chose to buy one new sheave for the new halyard and grind the other 3 on our own. A bit of dust. Go slow so as to take it down a little at a time. Like working with wood on a lathe. Results were great. Clean fit for 7/16 line and no cracking.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="jssailem,... The v or center u grove for the wire will not cause any trouble.....[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree. Just as you would size a sheave for the line, if you use the U or V sheave, then line will be squeezed into it- even if only partially, and will increase wear. Get the right sheave. It's a small expense that lasts a lifetime.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Has anyone used half in a 9.2? I bought two new half inch halyards thinking bigger is better but niw am unsure if I should use them. Dropping the mast next week so I can look myself.

Oct 22, 2014
Bob... let us know what you find and how you decide to resolve the issue.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
1/2" was too big. The slots the rope comes through are just about 1/2". I dropped back to 3/8" and am stuck with $300 worth of halyards. Oh well. Next time I will spend the money on better line, not bigger line. Three of four of the sheaves were fine. The bronze bearing was stuck and cracked in the fourth, but I only needed three so I just put the fourth aft. I cleaned up the sheaves with a wire brush on a drill, greased them and re-installed them. Note to everyone. You should drop your mast soon and inspect it if you never have, especially if you still have wire halyards. Mine had nearly sawn through the bolt holding the tangs for the side stays on. Wow.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Inspection is always the key to finding a problem. Looks like the wire halyard has been wearing on the pin. You caught it none too soon.