Share any S2 upgrades & projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
I would like to open up a thread on any upgrades, improvements and projects that you have completed on your S2.

I am currently consolidating and providing new instruments at the helm, upgrading the chartplotter and networking to the instruments and a small secondary screen within the Nav station.

Most of my projects are upgrades; chartplotter / networking, replacing running rigging, power head main sail, removing a century of bottom paint applied by the previous owner, etc...

One improvement I want to make this spring is to replace our teak table and posts with a heavier custom made unit that is adjustable and has a heavy top.

I saw a S2 11.0A with a bridge traveller. This was obviously modified from the just before the companionway to the deck. I like that the main traveller is out of the way and not a tripping hazard but then again, there is something to be said when a sudden breeze hits you and you need to quickly release or ease the mainsheet and it is only a step away or a arm length away from my wife.

Dec 8, 2011
S2 8.0 C Baltimore
winter projects:
Compression post step replacement
Cabin sole epoxy paint
Removal of fabric headliner and fairing/painting of cabin roof.
Minor standing rigging parts replacement.
Rewire VHF antenna
Installation of forward deck floodlight
Synthetic lifelines
Minor sail patching reinforcement
Construction of composting head using eco-vita assembly

Spring projects:
reconstruction of mast step on deck
prop replacement

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Hmm. Sounds like I should wait until you two get your projects done and then follow your advice! I'm thinking about a composting head, would love to move the traveller, need to do something about the original lifelines, etc. I have a new Garmin 546S chartplotter and would love some advice on running the wiring. I've got an Edson mount that puts it nicely on top of the pedestal guard, but the power cable fuse assembly on one cable and the NMEA plug on the other seem to be a bit thick to be drilling holes in the pedestal guard for running them below, which is what was done for the autohelm wiring. I could drill holes in the cockpit sole and then plug them with cable clams, but I'm not keen on that.

I was going to put in a fuel polishing system, like the recent article in Sail magazine, but am thinking about throwing that dough at one of those electronic barnacle busters instead: http://www.smartantifouling.com, although they're a bit unproven. I'm sure the price will go up if Practical Sailor gives them a stamp of approval.

John

Off to Google "eco-vita"!

Nov 26, 2010
s2 8.0 Jacksonville, fl
When I purchased my boat it was a semi finished project. Since I have had it I have:

Built a ginpole to singlehanded step the mast. It works very well

Reupholstering of the cushions inside and outside the boat

Built a custom cover out of surlast fabric. My boat is always dry

Installed a free furler for my working kib

Fabricated a ss Bimini top using surlast fabric

Installed new carpet

Built a trailer keep guide to make easier for my wife Nd I to recover the boat

For the future:
Install a seabook monitor. This is a touchscreen monitor that will display the chartplotter image and it could be used as video screen. The tricky part with this one was that it operates on 12v and I had to devise a switch that will take two batteries and pit them in series and split them for charging.
I plan on installing a track to make my jib self-tacking. Not sure how it would work with my free furler.

Have to seal all deck penetrations using butyl tape. This material doss not harden or shrink.

Nov 26, 2010
s2 8.0 Jacksonville, fl
chiefaponte said:
When I purchased my boat it was a semi finished project. Since I have had it I have:

Built a ginpole to singlehanded step the mast. It works very well

Reupholstering of the cushions inside and outside the boat

Built a custom cover out of surlast fabric. My boat is always dry

Installed a free furler for my working kib

Fabricated a ss Bimini top using surlast fabric

Installed new carpet

Built a trailer keep guide to make easier for my wife Nd I to recover the boat

For the future:
Install a seabook monitor. This is a touchscreen monitor that will display the chartplotter image and it could be used as video screen. The tricky part with this one was that it operates on 24v and I had to devise a switch that will take two batteries and pit them in series and split them for charging.
I plan on installing a track to make my jib self-tacking. Not sure how it would work with my free furler.

Have to seal all deck penetrations using butyl tape. This material doss not harden or shrink.
edit

Sep 6, 2011
I agree on the traveler but have no plans to move it in the near future. Projects for us have included changing the lower seals on the sail drive after water intrusion, installing raw water intake filters on both the head and motor, installing a Frohli system to sleep on, updated the stereo, replaced a faulty regulator for the alternator. Items in process are resealing all deck hardware using butyl and sealing any exposed core with epoxy (repair wet core if applicable) and going over the entire electrical system looking for faults, reworking and updating the charging system (battery charger replaced, echo charger and battery monitor planned) and replacing batteries in the Spring, and installing an isolation transformer. SC

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
I'll have to add relocating the bilge pump to the list. I was mucking around in the engine compartment, looking at the battery charger location and noticed the pick up tubing for the bilge pump was nearly worn through by part of the drive train. There's a "pump saver" filter on that hose that I can't reach as it is, and the pump itself is nearly inaccessible, under the floor of the starboard lazarette. One thing leads to another.

Been using that butyl tape and like it. I need to cut and drill the delrin rods so I can put the starboard hand rail back on. A lot of the threads seemed to be damaged on the bolts that hold that down. I'm hoping to clean them up, rather than replace all of them.

Did get some Detco Crystal varnish on the drop boards. This after taking some 220 grit paper to the penetrating epoxy that was already on them. Did it unthinned. Looks good, but thinned maybe 20% probably would've been better.

John

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
-You can read my adventures in the engines/propulsion section. (MD 17C partial rebuild)
-Looking at a chart plotter/radar. Looking at RayMarine E7D. I can use an ipad with it (wireless). We'll see what the Seattle Boat Show has....
-take mast down to install radar and put all mast wiring inside a conduit.
-Lifelines
-refinish cap rails

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
storage partition for my 9.2A

I want to build a removable half wall to hold my junk in the locker from falling into the drive train...which could really ruin my day.

Apr 27, 2011
S2 9.2A Newport News, VA
Make it a whole wall, Bob, and send me the other half! Stuff overflowing that locker into the engine compartment is definitely a concern here, too.

Decided I'd better put an automatic pump down in the bilge, since there's only the external pump now. Will probably go with an Attwood 1100 gph Sahara wired to the battery, use the existing float switch (at a higher location) as an alarm, and then use the switched pump for more exciting circumstances. I think, given the current hose size, that the existing pump is too small for high-volume requirements, so that'll probably have to be replaced, too.

the list just gets longer!

John

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I want to build a removable half wall to hold my junk in the locker from falling into the drive train...which could really ruin my day.
just a thought here ....maybe you could hang a heavy gage net inside the locker on the bottom rail of the platform in the locker and hook the top of the net just inside the locker at the top of the opening ...eliminating the need to remove the tempory wall when needing access to the engine bay....in your neck of the woods there should be plenty of net shops available.....

regards

woody

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
For those looking at lifeline replacement, if the wire is good and the plastic cover the issue, consider covering the lifeline with shrink tube.

My lifelines were original (1982), with plastic cover cracked and worn, especially where sheets would ride over them. It is 1/8 inch wire covered with about a 1/16 of plastic, for a 1/4 inch wire diameter. A 100' roll of 1/2 inch shrink tube cost about $75. I split a roll with a buddy.

It was an easy fix, but I'm on Lake Erie (fresh water) where most rigging lasts a long time. Hidden corrosion may be an issue on salt water. Just be sure that a 5/16 wire will fit through your stanchion holes.

Bron

S2 8.5 #088
Rocky River, OH

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I was kind of thinking...

just a thought here ....maybe you could hang a heavy gage net inside the locker on the bottom rail of the platform in the locker and hook the top of the net just inside the locker at the top of the opening ...eliminating the need to remove the tempory wall when needing access to the engine bay....in your neck of the woods there should be plenty of net shops available.....

regards

woody

...of the type of wood side you would use on a kids wagon or an old pick up truck....just a couple of vertical stakes with a couple of horizontal slats. Light enough to be easy to move. Just looking to corral things.

Aug 24, 2009
S2 35C Manitowoc
I built a new mast step, mine was a sponge when I bought the boat in May. I am now replacing the DC panel with a Paneltronics..one nice piece of electrical hardware. I will be rewiring most of the DC. I also plan to replace or rebuild the injectors on my VP2003 and re bed the thru hull for the engine water pickup. I have many more Ideas but no plan to paper yet for those. I do have a video of the mast step up on you tube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuAVFXwZma8&context=C31e7584ADOEgsToPDskKfKzr4MB61_dmRTNJNqerR

I will be updating most of what I do. I love watching video of other peoples experiences..ya never know what you'll get from it.
Barry

Aug 24, 2009
S2 35C Manitowoc
The "before" pic of the electrical panel. The surveyor wasn't sure where to begin.

And the new panel

EdW

Apr 10, 2006
S2 - whitby ont.
S2 11.0A up grades

I have a 1981 S2 11.0A with MD17C volvo and v drive and have been using it and upgrading it over the last 6 years. I am interested in what others have done with there boats. Here are some of my upgrades. 110 amp Balmar alternator and regulator. Espar heater. lewmar windless. Added a second vent to my holding tank. Built lockers in v birth, above dresser and galley. Installed new motor mounts. Added midship cleats. Built a hard top for dodger. Added 2 -80 watt solar panels and controler. New prop. New bildge pumps. Changed galley stove from natural gass to alcohol. Had bottem striped and 8 coats of interprotect applied, also had deck work done. I live on my boat 6 months a year. ED

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
just a thought here ....maybe you could hang a heavy gage net inside the locker on the bottom rail of the platform in the locker and hook the top of the net just inside the locker at the top of the opening ...eliminating the need to remove the tempory wall when needing access to the engine bay
I have a net across that area in my cockpit seat locker as well. Works for me. Makes it easy to access that side of the under-cockpit area by just unhooking the net. If I had to do it over, I might use one of those truck tailgate nets (do they still sell those things?).

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
Hello, I have owned three new S2 sailboats, my current boat, an 1983 8.5 I've had nearly 30 years. In that time I have re-powered, re wired, re plumbed, re rigged, replaced winches, tanks, replaced electronics, re engeneered the fold down table to enlarge it and include a dish cabinet behind it, etc. I performed all the work myself and am in all respects pleased with the results and enjoy the improvements each project has provided. If anyone would like any info or input on "30 years with the same boat" I will be happy to share what I can lpgs@comcast.net

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
EVERY piece of rigging, including the lifelines ought to have been replacet at least once, on EVERY S2 ever made. Theae are not young boats anymore! This stuff is cheap compared to the consequences of a single failure. I had my little 28 foot 8.5 done, all standing rigging,everything from the chainplates up, including lifelines, with quality 1/4" wire and components, for around $1200 complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.