Shaft removal

jotruk

Oct 8, 2008
Hunter 27 Lake Whitney
I have a 1979 hunter 27 with a yanmar deseil engine I hit an surmeged object and bent the shift and broke the strut hanger. I am trying to remove the shaft.with no luck. Does anyone have and Idea about what i need top do to remove the shaft?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
First, take the prop off. You will probably need a puller to do that. Then pull the shaft from the transmission shaft coupler. Easier said than done. There is nothing unique about the H27 shaft removal. Google how to remove prop and shaft coupler. Because your shaft strut is already broken, you can easily remove it by removing the four nuts located aft of the fuel tank. With the strut off, the shaft will slide to the side of the rudder.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
You can also drop the rudder - not hard if you can set up the clearance under it.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
It may be hard to remove the transmission side coupling from the shaft. These are typically pressed. The easiest way is to lift the engine and slide it out below the engine. This is also the recommended way to install the new shaft as the coupling and the shaft typically come together and are factory aligned. You are unlikely to align them as well once you remove the coupling and reattach it. It is not so hard to lift the engine by a few inches (at least on my H31 it was a piece of cake, I did it twice in 4 hours since I forgot the PSS ring :(

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Use a recipricating saw and just cut the old one up. Then the engine stays in place. Those couplers are hard to remove and need to be replaced with the shaft anyway. Beware of cheap shafts. Lots of rust rods for sale out there.

Ken

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the shaft is bent, you can cut it off and take out the 2 pieces. But I would try to get it out in 1 piece so you can figure out if you can get the new one in!

Videos of my shaft removal and replacement.

Good luck

Greg

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
It may be hard to remove the transmission side coupling from the shaft. These are typically pressed. The easiest way is to lift the engine and slide it out below the engine. This is also the recommended way to install the new shaft as the coupling and the shaft typically come together and are factory aligned. You are unlikely to align them as well once you remove the coupling and reattach it. It is not so hard to lift the engine by a few inches (at least on my H31 it was a piece of cake, I did it twice in 4 hours since I forgot the PSS ring :(
Great info, thanks! I've got a H34 and was trying to figure out how to pull the shaft and replace without dropping the rudder. I think my setup is similar to yours, seems like a simple solution.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Just in case you are lifting the engine for the first time. Attach a line between the two winches on the companionway sides and then to the engine. Put a basketball below the engine (closer to the transmission). Inflate the basketball while stabilizing the engine with the line. Once you have enough clearance to remove the shaft fix the engine in place, remove the basketball, work on the shaft, then just drop the engine in place. Good luck.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Just in case you are lifting the engine for the first time. Attach a line between the two winches on the companionway sides and then to the engine. Put a basketball below the engine (closer to the transmission). Inflate the basketball while stabilizing the engine with the line. Once you have enough clearance to remove the shaft fix the engine in place, remove the basketball, work on the shaft, then just drop the engine in place. Good luck.
I love the basketball Idea. I need to look at replacing my engine mounts, and that sounds a whole lot better than using a scissor jack.

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
Interesting thought. I’d be a bit concerned about conrol over deflating the ball. That’s a lot of weight to be dealing with, and I’m not convinced a basketball is engineered to deal with the 300lbs of one end of the engine.

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
Just read it again. I see you’re only lifting, and then holding up with the winches. It’s the ropes that lower it back You are not putting your hands near while the basketball is supporting things, so it’s not as risky as I first thought.

In my case I have a center cockpit, so my winches are a long way off, and the lines would run over too many obstacles.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
In my case I have a center cockpit, so my winches are a long way off, and the lines would run over too many obstacles.
Do you have any pictures showing what your dealing with?
:worthless:

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
1/4 ton winch
IMG_2029.jpeg IMG_2035.jpeg
Replacing motor mounts anyway so I decided to go up..