Shaft Packing replacement /in water

Apr 2, 2015
Catalina 36 MK11 Dana Point
I would like to replace the shaft packing on a 36 2002 MK2 .
1.Can the packing be replaced while the boat is in the water without too much water leakage?
2. What is the best type of packing material ?
3. What size of packing ?
4. How many wraps ?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
1.Can the packing be replaced while the boat is in the water without too much water leakage?
Fig. 5.jpg

2. What is the best type of packing material ?
I've used teflon impregnated flax running dry for four years (500 hours). Others here have gotten longer with synthetic yarns.

3. What size of packing ?
Depends on the shaft. Search the archives.

4. How many wraps ?
Depends on the stuffing box. Search the archives.

Apr 2, 2015
Ralph , thanks for the cleaver idea to keep water at bay. I was thinking of using the Graphite packing , any thoughts ?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I was thinking of using the Graphite packing , any thoughts ?
Purists say that graphite will contribute to galvanic corrosion because the material is so highly cathodic. ABYC also states against. HOWEVER, many use it with no problems. Most likely high alloy shafting. Maybe I'm just chicken at heart and that's why I stick to teflon/flax.

Actually, ANY packing which has a greasy black texture to it is likely to be graphite impregnated. It's a bit of a crap shoot because if your shaft isn't high alloy, it will succumb to pitting and that can really chew up your packing.

I'm thinking a 2002 MK2 "should" have a shaft with good metallurgy and resist galvanic corrosion.

Apr 2, 2015
I am a chicken too when it comes to something I don't have first hand knowledge of. I am going to go with a good quality Teflon as you have . Thank you for your help.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
On my last two boats, the rate of water intrusion with the packing removed was slow enough that my bilge pump easily kept up with it. No drama at all.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I used 3 rings of 1/4" GFO Gore. I have had very good luck.
When opening the nut be very careful to not tear the rubber hose. Hold the stuffing box steady and only turn the nut.
After opening the nut and exposing the shaft, wrap a few turns of electric tape on the shaft so that it does not become scratched during removal of old rings. Use a hard flexible rubber to insert the new rings into the nut. Remove the old rings with 2" sheet-rock black screws and insert the new rings with the cracks separated bay 120 degrees. Before tightening the nut use Lanacote - available at West Marine. With your fingers insert a generous amount down the stuffing box then tighten the nut. It only needs to be hand tight. If over-tightened the nut will be come very hot when shaft turns. Lanacote becomes soft when the shaft turns and when stopped it hardens and completely seals the shaft. When the shaft turns there is literately only a few drops of water that wets the shaft. I installed it 2 years ago and the drips have not increased and I have made no adjustment to it.
Read this link before you start
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=2

Attachments

Last edited: