Shaft log size on a 1991 Passage 42?

ttac

Aug 9, 2010
Hunter Passage 42 Kemah, TX
Hello all, I'm looking for the prop shaft log size on our 1991 Hunter Passage 42. We plan to haul out for a bottom job here in the next month and I plan to change the packing gland over to a drip less. So I would like to order the new unit before so I'm not held up waiting. I know we have an 1 1/4" shaft. But I do not find any info on the size of the stern tube.
I'm planning on installing the PYI Inc PSS shaft seal. I see that they make 4 different sizes. Starting with 1 3/4", 2", 2 1/4" and 2 1/2". And if you have a sister to our boat you know how hard it is to see it let alone try and measure it.
Thank you for any help!

Dean

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
Hey Dean,

I know this is an ancient post, but it came up when I searched and I am also in need of the same answer...

Assuming you did end up installing a PSS dripless, what size shaft log fits?

Thanks,
Daniel

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter Passage 42 RHKYC Hong Kong China
Guys
Do you have any advice on how to open or tighten the stern gland on the Passage 42 as my guys in the boat yard are having problems
Malcolm

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Malcolm - I repacked my stern gland last year and agree it was tough to get it to open up. I soaked its connection with 'PB Blaster' and then using large pipe wrenches and a 2 lb hammer managed to break it free. It too 2 pipe wrenches opposing each other one of which I wedged in place with 2x4 cut to length.

It only takes a little corrosion to bind it up. Obviously you must be very careful not to damage anything and inspect the stern log hose and clamps. - Jim