Servicing winches

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Dumb question.

Is it just me or does anyone else have problems putting cabin top 30's back together?
I have problem fitting feeder arm over two small half moon (one each side) collets.
Some small movement in collets so hard to align with pattern in feeder arm. Guess
just takes time, little bitty fingers, steady hand and maybe chewing gum? Never had problem with prior winches.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I serviced mine last month and had no issues. It was the first time I've taken a winch apart.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Same here. Last year I took all 4 completely apart, cleaned and lubed them, and had no issues reassembling them. I did do all the work on the hard, so I didn't have any boat movement to contend with.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Same here. Last year I took all 4 completely apart, cleaned and lubed them, and had no issues reassembling them. I did do all the work on the hard, so I didn't have any boat movement to contend with.
I didn't realize center shaft pulled straight up and out. Cleaned attached bottom gear in place. When pulled
up and out could see grove in shaft to accept collet. When shaft in placed and bottomed out could not see
grove as result collet would not go far enough in to accept feeder arm. When raised shaft abut 1/16th grove
exposed and aha moment. Everything go together just fine. Thanks for your comments.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA