Serious leak between hose and shaft tube Hunter 30 1980

May 22, 2013
Hunter 30 Florida
I have a leak between the shaft tube and the hose that connects to to the stuffing box. the bilge pump can keep up with it. I'm planning to get it hauled this week for repair but not sure what will need to be fixed. Could it just be the hose (proabably too easy). If it is the shaft log, does anyone know where you can get one. It seems to be square 2 3/4 or 3 inch (difficult to tell when I dove because of growth). The bolts appear to be 2 inches apart. I've scrolled through previous threads but I don't see what I need at Buck Algonquin. I attached picture 1 looking from above with arrow to leak. Picture 2 is from the side where the leak is. Picture 3 and 4 is from outside. Appreciate any advice you can give me!!

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you are going to pull the shaft, I would replace both the shaft log, and the stuffing box hose.

You should be double clamped on both ends of the hose.

I replaced my old bronze shaft over the winter. If you plan to keep / reuse your shaft, you will need to carefully remove the coupling. This was probably the hardest, most time consuming for me.

Once you have the coupling off, if you are lucky, you can slide the shaft out past the rudder. On my boat, I had to press the cutlass bearing out of the strut to get a little lateral play in the shaft.

Here are videos of my process. Some are long..., but may be helpful.

Greg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I replaced both the shaft log through hull and the shaft log hose about three years ago. Unfortunately that's just long enough ago that I don't recall what the dimensions were, but it was a somewhat odd size fitting which I concluded was no longer made. I got the log hose from Buck Algonquin and ended up having a new bronze shaft log custom made by a local machine shop.
Edit:
I remembered this thread that I started back when I was figuring things out re my own shaft log. You may find some useful info here.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/two-cutlass-bearings.162193/

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I've been looking for a stern tube/shaft log for months as mine broke replacing the hose last winter. Buck Algonquin didn't have the correct part available, although they may have made it originally.
No luck at the SBO store either.
The more I thought on it, the thought came to me...
Warren Luhrs was the owner of Hunter Yachts in the seventies and eighties and built sport fish yachts in New Jersey during the same time. So I.m thinking that Hunter may have used the same stern tube from Luhrs or maybe it was a rudder post tube on their boats.
I.m going to call around Monday to see if =hardtofindboatparts.com=
can find it under the Luhrs name. If not, I'll have to have one made.
Dalliance, Did you have yours cast out of bronze?
Any new leads to a source would be appreciated and I'll report back on my search.
G.

May 22, 2013
Hunter 30 Florida
Thanks for all your input. I'm thinking of getting the Algonquin shaft log, but fear I will probably have to get one machined. Plan to haul this week, so I will keep you posted. Will stay tuned to see if anyone can source this part.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Replaced my shaft log a few years ago when I repowered. Had one machined out of SS. A bit noisy on a cold start but doesn't leak. The square part you are referring to is the outside end of the tube where it is bolted onto the hull.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had the same boat and the same problem (years ago). The bronze material had gone pink and in combination with the shaft rubbing on the log, the whole thing just cracked. We were not able to find a replacement part so had to have a new SS one made at a local machine shop.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I've been looking for a stern tube/shaft log for months as mine broke replacing the hose last winter. Buck Algonquin didn't have the correct part available, although they may have made it originally.
No luck at the SBO store either.
The more I thought on it, the thought came to me...
Warren Luhrs was the owner of Hunter Yachts in the seventies and eighties and built sport fish yachts in New Jersey during the same time. So I.m thinking that Hunter may have used the same stern tube from Luhrs or maybe it was a rudder post tube on their boats.
I.m going to call around Monday to see if =hardtofindboatparts.com=
can find it under the Luhrs name. If not, I'll have to have one made.
Dalliance, Did you have yours cast out of bronze?
Any new leads to a source would be appreciated and I'll report back on my search.
G.
ggrizard,
My new shaft log was not cast. It was machined out of a solid hunk of bronze. I just gave them the old one to match.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Replaced my shaft log last year. It was not leaking,, not yet anyway. Here you can see the part after removing the two bolts and sliding down the prop shaft. Notice the pink color of the bronze and that the flange is on the outside of hull:
20160309_095756.jpg

The next pic shows the shaft log after I tapped it lightly with a hammer:
20160310_151049.jpg

I replaced with a Buck Algonquin log. The dimensions were slightly different but worked nicely with the flange located on the inside of the hull:
10SLW1002.jpg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Thanks Dalliance,
That looks like the way to go since my original version has the 4 bolt flush flange on the out side and it isn't available off the shelf.