Self Tending Jib on 28 Oday?

Jul 15, 2014
Oday 23 Hyannis MA
On one of the best sails of my 2016 season on my new '84 Oday 28, the convergence of a huge gust of wind with a fast running cross rip combined to explode my 150 Jenny. I am thinking about a self tending jib as a replacement which would certainly make single handing easier for an old guy and add a few years to my pleasure. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Self tending jib is a nice enhancement for single handed sailing. You can chose to run it with a boom or not. Take a look at the Harken website. They have some rigging diagrams . If you need a custom track you can probably get one from Garhauer Marine.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Its not a bad idea at all.

Only down-side would be a huge loss of sail area and power. The 28 is really a genoa-driven boat; the main is tiny. Your 150 provided most of the power. With a 90% self-tacking jib you're likely to have a SA/D ratio of below 14.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jack's right, of course. However, you may want to consider this:

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

It may not be all that bad in the long run.

On our way up the coast from SF to Vancouver Island, I met a skipper in Charleston, OR, with a nice Ranger 33 who had rigged a self tending jib with ONLY lines, no deck hardware, no track. We were busy telling each other sailing stories, so I didn't get any pictures. He said it's a fairly common thing. Try some internet sleuthing on "self tending jibs, line only" and other combinations. He said it works great.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I have had a self-tacking jib on one of the Hunters that I used to teach on. It was the worst aspect of that particular boat. You could not get decent sail shape from it. I always ran regular jib sheets to the jib and disconnected the self-tacking setup whenever I taught on that boat.