Self tailing winch conversion

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
Barton Marine makes a self tailing winch conversion that they call "Winchers". I have a Mac 25 and single hand a lot so, this sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone have them? If so, what do you think of them? What size would fit a size 6 Lewmar?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Type "winchers" into the quick search box near the top right of this page.
They have mixed reviews...

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
Thanks for the help. I read the comments and then checked the sizes of the winch and "wincher" respectively. My winches are about 4.5 mm smaller than their smallest available model. Guess I'll just pull and cleat.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Quite a few sailors upgrade from 80's Lewmar 16, 24, 30... on similar size boats. Try running some 'wanted' ads on sailing sites for leftover ST winches in the smaller sizes.
I have also heard very mixed messages about the rubber "wincher" devices.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It comes down to expectation. They do what they’re designed to do; but they don’t create a fully self-tailing winch out of one that isn’t. As I’ve posted before, I had the winchers on my P-30 for several years. I found them useful. But a straight-on self-tailer is better, which is what I have now.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Go through Craig's List and eBay. You might find something. Also, the last few years West Marine has offered BOGO on winches. I got a pair last year. Their spring sale should be coming up soon.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This probably sounds like a dumb question. I've used both standard and self-tailing winches, often the safe size side-by-side on the same boat (my current boat is like this--the jib winches are ST single speed, and the reacher/chute winches are standard 2-speed (not sure why--you never put that much tension on a chute).

Does a Wincher actually help? It's not secure enough to use as a cleat, like an ST. It's generally not secure at high load. Self-tailing is nice on larger winches, where you might use both hands on the handle, but on smaller winches you generally pull in most of the line by hand and then give it a few quick turns with one hand. A Wincher makes it slower to throw off the line when tacking. As long as there is a cam cleat well placed, I don't see how it is more convenient or more efficient. Yes, it is a little nicer for small adjustments when single handing, but in that case I simply steer with a foot or work fast; a quick turn takes only seconds. I'm certainly much worse off when the Wincher slips.

I've removed Winchers from several boats. Not a fan.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This probably sounds like a dumb question. I've used both standard and self-tailing winches, often the safe size side-by-side on the same boat (my current boat is like this--the jib winches are ST single speed, and the reacher/chute winches are standard 2-speed (not sure why--you never put that much tension on a chute).

Does a Wincher actually help? It's not secure enough to use as a cleat, like an ST. It's generally not secure at high load. Self-tailing is nice on larger winches, where you might use both hands on the handle, but on smaller winches you generally pull in most of the line by hand and then give it a few quick turns with one hand. A Wincher makes it slower to throw off the line when tacking. As long as there is a cam cleat well placed, I don't see how it is more convenient or more efficient. Yes, it is a little nicer for small adjustments when single handing, but in that case I simply steer with a foot or work fast; a quick turn takes only seconds. I'm certainly much worse off when the Wincher slips.

I've removed Winchers from several boats. Not a fan.
For 2-speed spin winches, it’s not the low gear, it’s the HIGH gear that’s valuable. Not super loaded, but you want it in QUICK to trim and keep the flying shape.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Also,
With perfectly sized sheets, Winchers make so-so temporary cleats, but are still totally useless as self-trailers. And even as a cleat, never leave it unattended.

If you want self-tailers, save your bucks and buy them. These thing in no way are an acceptable substitute. The only people that think so are people that have never actually used real self-tailing winches.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I have them on my jib sheets on a Catalina 27. I've never had one slip but I will agree that throwing them off is not as quick. I also have never tried to use them as a self tailer. I adjust it like a normal winch then wrap the jib sheet into the wincher a full turn.

I have used a "real self-tailing" winch and yeah it's not as good as that but I tend to use it more then I use the horn cleat right behind the winch.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Even though everyone knows I think "winchers" are a complete waste of money... if you absolutely think you want to give them a try.... for cryin' out loud, don't use them as sheet winches. An open cam cleat on a riser is a far superior method of securing the sheet than wrapping and unwrapping the line every time you want to change direction. There is possibly some value on your halyard winch....since you're not constantly loading and unloading the drum as you do with sheets.
In fact, if you're single handing the wincher on a sheet winch, it is actually more inconvenient than just using a standard winch... particularly so on a smaller boat under 28 feet. If you have a well placed cam cleat on a riser you can sit at the helm and snap the sheet into or out of the cleat without moving. Can't do that if you have to wrap the line into the wincher jaws.
My suggestion to improve you single handing life is to acquire a reliable tiller pilot.... you can find them for under $400. You can wait for the yearly West marine BOGO Lewmar promotion and get a pair of real ST units if you're so inclined..... but the very best upgrade any single hander can invest in is a tiller pilot.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Hook
Some economics.
Your size 6 lewmar winches are 3 11/16 dia and 3 1/4 high.
Single speed basic winches.
The smallest lewmar ST winch at West are slightly larger and sell for $539 each; That is $1070.
The Barlow rubber winchers sell for $105 each . $210 a pair..
The winchers are definitely overpriced for a molded rubber composite ring.
I have a 28 foot boat and I have them.
They are better than tailing the line with your teeth or any other method that I have tried.
They will hold a line long enough to cleat it or tidy it away.
You must have the right (larger) dia sheet ropes.
If you don't you will have to add the price of new sheets to your purchase
They last for ever, or at least 20 years and still grip..
The only way that you will know if they are suitable for your use is to try them
So buy a pair, fit them and try them.
If you don't like them, take them back for a refund.

Not the thing for racing but if you have crew you have some one to tail the line.

gary

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi Hook
Some economics.................
..............The smallest lewmar ST winch at West are slightly larger and sell for $539 each; That is $1070.
Let me revise your economics, waiting for the yearly 2 for 1 Lewmar winch promotion at WM will save you $539!
The Barlow rubber winchers sell for $105 each . $210 a pair..
I've only seen them sold in pairs.... and never at that price... for a boat his size the medium or small is sufficient... but even at $50/pair I think they're wasted money.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
For 2-speed spin winches, it’s not the low gear, it’s the HIGH gear that’s valuable. Not super loaded, but you want it in QUICK to trim and keep the flying shape.
The single speed is 2:1.
The 2-speed is 2:1, 4.2:1

So unfortunately, that does not help. I've never used the lower gear... but I would on the jib, if I had it... but the spin winches arn't self tailing, so I can swap them (and I don't want self tailers on the chute.).

Nov 8, 2010
The single speed is 2:1.
The 2-speed is 2:1, 4.2:1

So unfortunately, that does not help. I've never used the lower gear... but I would on the jib, if I had it... but the spin winches arn't self tailing, so I can swap them (and I don't want self tailers on the chute.).
Yea good call. For some reason I thought I remembered that the 16s split the two ranges. I figured that you'd correct me if I was wrong! ;^)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did the WM bogo deal which seems to happen every year I think around April but not sure when.
I got 2 conversion winch kits for the price of one and now have electric winches on my H-36
and I just to clear things up I used my my stock 40 Lewmar self tailing winch and got a electric
Conversion kit with the WM bogo sale on Lewmar winches and love them and WOW so powerful.
Nick

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I thought "tailing" was just adding a slight bit of pressure to the sheet until it could be cleat not for the long haul.