Self Tacking System

May 31, 2018
Hunter Legend 35 Lake Erie
Hello, I have a 1988 Hunter Legend 35, I am finishing up my oupv registration and starting my own charter companies for moonlight sailing charters. I am looking into getting a Self Tacking system because it will mainly be only me sailing while the other people onboard are sightseeing, relaxing etc. Does anybody here own a self-tacking system, is this a smart move or am I just putting money into the drain?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I sailed on my friend's Hanse 315. It's a fast boat designed with self tacking jib. It makes a lazy out of the crew. Whenever the boat tacks, all the crew does is switch side and continue drinking beer! No trimming required if skipper holds his course. ;)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's a very basic system that has no jib boom and one control line. They do get more complex.

Here's a version set up for roller furling and a jib boom... it has 2 control lines, one for the boom and the other for in and out movement of the clew, like an outhaul.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The Island Packet has a self tacking staysail, set up more or less like the second diagram above. The jib boom bends over about 90 degrees and sits in a deck fitting that lets it swivel. The genoa is not self tacking - it is actually a bit harder to tack because it has to go around the staysail's stay. I knew someone who had an IP 43 then a 48 (center cockpit) and when under just the staysail, it was dead easy - just hold two buttons on his autopilot (if set to steer to wind) and it would tack itself.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It can be a great idea. Your Genoa goes away and you end up with maybe a 95% Jib, so your sailplan is smaller.

You can go with a track or a boom. A track is much cheaper, but a boom gives much more control, and can be pushed out to go downwind effectively as it holds the clew out

The Hoyt boom system is probably the best known. Installation is easy, but only if the anchor locker does not interfere.
98244397-5913-4BF2-856B-8B5991A4D61C.jpeg

If it does, you will probably will have to go with a track. If you do that, make sure you sailmaker puts several attach points to adjust sheeting angle.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We sailed a Shannon 50 across the Atlantic. She had a club footed jib. I assume that allowed her to be self taking, but I've never heard the term before. The Shannon was a very pretty and comfortable boat, she sailed well, but I did not care for how cluttered her rigging, especially that boom sitting on the foredeck, made her top side. I prefer open deck space where there are not a lot of obstacles to step over or duck around.
Here are a few examples of boomless sailboats.

There are a few examples of boomless self-tacking staysails. They all seem to utilize a traveler and so limit the size of the staysail to maybe 110s. However, I can imagine a 155 Genoa sheeted on a looped line that runs through blocks to guide the clew around the mast and stays. I am not clear on how to adjust the sheet for points of sail, but I'm sure it can be worked out.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
However, I can imagine a 155 Genoa sheeted on a looped line that runs through blocks to guide the clew around the mast and stays. I am not clear on how to adjust the sheet for points of sail, but I'm sure it can be worked out.
Actually it can't. You have to adjust sheets accounting for the clew being aft the mast on each tack. If you're adjusting sheets, you don't self-tacking system.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just go to the jib (< 100%) since you'll have to anyway if installing self-tacking. The work of sheeting in the 100% (or smaller) is quite a bit less than for a genoa. If there's a question of where to put money I'd go for an autopilot if you do not have one aboard already instead of a self-tacking system--especially if I'm to be the skipper of a charter w/ no crew; only passengers. That frees you up to trim (using self-tailing winches I assume you have) when necessary. I admit not being a fan of s-t systems at all; so, money down the drain IMHO.

Also, do you have much single-handing experience, b/c that's what we're effectively discussing here in this context? I probably would not sail DDW w/no crew but only (intoxicated?) passengers to look out after; no lower than broad reaches. From that point of view controlled gybes are not that much different for you than tacks would be. You still must release the wheel to control and trim the mainsheet, etc., on the coach roof(?).

Last edited:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Here's a very basic system that has no jib boom and one control line. They do get more complex.

Here's a version set up for roller furling and a jib boom... it has 2 control lines, one for the boom and the other for in and out movement of the clew, like an outhaul.
On either of these systems, how does one control the travel of the car on the track? Or does the car simply slide out to the end of the track? Would bringing the sheet in also pull the car up?

I imagine that the ability to control the travel of the car would have advantages on a foresail that are similar to the advantages of a controllable mainsail traveler.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Doesn’t the Hunter 35 sail nicely with mainsail alone ? In any case I would bring a list of riggers to the boat to propose solutions that meet your requirement. A smaller jib would be an easy solution, a club-foot jib boom or Hoyt boom would NOT be appropriate for a foredeck littered with landlubbers.

I once helped a Caribbean day charter crew with their sunset cruise full of tourists, those guests lost their grout when the boat powered up and went bounding on the ocean swell. Had to reef the thing way down and double the rum ration to calm the hysterics.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's amazing. A guy who answers nearly question with a joke(s) or something non sequitir is so well "liked" while many of the experts here are eclipsed.
It's because I use a lot of winkie faces. ;)
But, it's good to know how you feel.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Will is a nice, polite, cheerful guy. Some forum members click the like button because they like Will, not necessarily because they are voting for an expert. Will never claims to be an expert. Will earned his "likes" honestly.

Ad hominim attacks rarely contribute value to a thread, IMO. In my expert opinion as a human being, the forum won't be any better if Will shuts up.

And, as far as I know, there are no rules about clicking the like button.

Judy
PS. My posts have a 51% "like" rating. I certainly hope that some of my rating is because I'm a nice person!!!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
There are only about 10 posters that are worth reading about. One expert here wont even post a solution without a pm and is half drunk with captain obvious info when he does.

Almost all of this info is freely available on the web. To actually post a topic here is to show you are inept at research or lazy.

I prefer to think most on this forum find this to be comfotable place to chat sailing with an international sailing community. Like a digital yacht/sailing club.

I get lots of info out of here and much of it from second guessing experts and learning from the rabbit trails of non experts.

This would be dead forum without people like Will and random bs from others.

Yes self tacking jibs work awesome. Look up remote control sailing. There is no crew to tack on those. They probably work better than normal jibs because a normal jib cant go past the hull without a pole. When downwind its held out like a spinnaker.