Self tacker

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Not that long ago, there was a discussion here about self tacking sails. That discussion (as so many seem to do) digressed into a somewhat non technical array of commentary about how much infrastructure would be required to support an overlapping sail.
If you have a look at the "top 7 reasons" in this link to Mr Buffet's boat (and that's Jimmy, not Warren) you'll clearly see a large shiny sail up front that looks to be attended to by a single line, and yet there's a "reason" stating that it was self tacking.
Self tacking, or self tending? (or just be quiet and let the damm topic die where it should have before?) :) Oh, and not to stir the pot any more than necessary, but if the boat is so great, why are there only 7 reasons? ha ha.

https://sailuniverse.com/2018/06/20/7-reasons-love-jimmy-buffetts-surfari-50/

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The shiny sail is a Code zero. It has two sheets shown, and cannot be self-tacked (or gybed).
The genoa (really a JIB) is rolled on the furler behind it, and self-tacks on a track ring in front of the mast.

Everything said in the other discussion holds true here.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, saying that code zero is self tacking don't make it so, and they repeat it in several places. Must be the holy grail of marketers. All the same it is an interesting boat and it could keep me from wasting away in Trawlerville! Why did they have to go and put two stinkers in the thing?

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, saying that code zero is self tacking don't make it so, and they repeat it in several places. Must be the holy grail of marketers.
Indeed, its amazing how some many people (both here, in general and in the press) simply believe whatever they see written about a boat/technology and assume it's true. Look, observe, and apply what you know. Critically think.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I'm not even sure you could tack that sail, it probably requires being rolled up with that furling jib solent rig. Maybe that's what they mean - you press a button and roll up the reacher, tack the boat and press the button again! :p

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Why is that foresail called a "Code Zero" instead of a
'Reacher' or a 'Big Fu#%ing Jib"?
I've been away you see and, Oh well...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You can call it a Code 0, or a Reacher, just don't call it a Jib. Code 0 and Reacher are the same thing. A Jib is a Jib and it is not reaching sail. The others are.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That's about as antiseptic as any boat I've ever seen. You could use it for an operating room!
I wonder how much space the two engines and fuel tanks take up? Only someone as rich as Buffet (Warren, not Jimmy) could afford the maintenance on the engines (genset?) and all that hydraulic and electrical gear.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I don't see a place to lie down for a nap. There must be a market, just not what I would consider comfy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is obvious that the designers have never tried to sleep in a bow berth while sailing or motoring through a choppy sea. They should consider puttting a berth further aft if this is more than a coastal/day sailer.

Nov 8, 2010
There is a fair amount to like about the boat. It's like a Sense 50 with a lifting keel. That's attractive to me.

What makes zero sense is the TWIN 80bhp diesels, driving 4 blade props. All this to get the boat to cruise under motor at HULL SPEED. Wow.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
jackdaw. the twin engines are to be used fighting huge game fish. to me it's the most exciting vessel i've seen in a long time. my $0.02 :)

Nov 8, 2010
jackdaw. the twin engines are to be used fighting huge game fish. to me it's the most exciting vessel i've seen in a long time. my $0.02 :)
Trust me I like it a lot! Just don't see the need or value in the twin drive.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i got to deliver a 53' Fontaine design from newport, bermuda, antiqua. it was a fantastic sailing machine. enjoyed his creation. sailed the whole way. it was an early december run.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We shouldn't have any trouble finding him on the water when he's using his Sag Harbor place. But the lifting keel would be a necessity around here and specifically near his place in Sag. It's not that deep. Then again the boat may never see waters around here. I think the boat is cool but the lines kinda put a hurt on my eye. The interior kind of harkens a downeast schooner with the white sealing, wood accents and the combination of horizontal and vertical accents. I also like the openness. I appreciate having sprawl room. I don't think this is cruising boat really. I think it's more a daysailer and hangout boat. I don't know about the twin engines but I don't think the maintenance is going to be onerous to JB. Downtime might be 'though. People who earn great toys need for them to be ready to go on schedule. More systems = more down time.