Selecting a windlass

Jul 8, 2017
Hunter E33 Newbedford
I own a 2012 hunter e33 I would like to install a windlass is it worth the money to get one with a drum and if so why

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Most gypsies handle both chain and line. You have to be sure which ever windlass you buy has the right gypsy for the size chain and line you have.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I own a 2012 hunter e33 I would like to install a windlass is it worth the money to get one with a drum and if so why
It all depends.
Do you have more than 15 to 20' of 5/16" chain rode in addition to your 5/8" 3-strand nylon? Do you frequently anchor in more than 20 to 25'? How heavy is your anchor?

The dead-weight lift of 20' of 5/16" chain plus a 25# plow is less than 45# total. Most guys under 70 at least can probably lift that manually w/o much difficulty; so, no need for a windlass for lifting power. However, if nearly all chain rode of 5/16" a chain gypsy, at least, is desirable; otherwise, it's long, heavy work to get all that 80' to 100' (4 to 5x scope in 20' depth) of chain back aboard. Also, IMHO, your nylon rode is heavier than it needs to be for "routine" anchoring of your boat; specs call for 1/2 to 9/16".

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
My experience is that a windlass is a must have. My Simpon Lawerance has both the gypsy and the top drum. I have never used the drum part. rode goes out/ rode comes in. It was standard on the boat. If I were retrofitting, I would only go gypsy.

Per comments that you should be able to pull it up as the anchor and chain and rode are light......well my buddy has no windlass, and he seldom anchors out. We have a windlass and we anchor out all the time. The issue is not the weight of the anchor but the force put on the boat with a blowing wind. Others will comment that you can motor up to take the weight off the rode, but try that in the dark with 30 knots and only one person on board on a lee shore. Even the best planned anchorage, with the best forecast can go upside down, and that is when the windlass will pay for itself with one "save."

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For boats larger than about 35 ft LOA I'd recommend a windlass for the included reasons of post #6, especially if cruising single-handedly. On the H33e w/chiefly nylon rode it would be more of a luxury, however; on a H41 w/chiefly chain rode, a necessity, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I would like to install a windlass is it worth the money to get one with a drum and if so why
Not really, and make sure you take careful measurements of the install location to make sure you get a properly sized windlass and proper clearance to operate it. The angle of pull from your bow roller is very important. Manufacturer can give you the specifications.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Sometime ago I queried Lewmar about the model of the windlass fitted on my 2012 e33. The reply email was lost with the death of a laptop this spring; however, if I recall the windlass is a Lewmar V3 modified especially for Hunter. It is a vertical windlass with a gypsy and drum. I am currently using 200' of 5/16" G4 spliced to 250' of 1/2" three stand. Hanging off the end is a 35 lb Manson Supreme. I have used the drum, in the past, to hoist a friend up the mast to do some inspection for me. I assume that because the windlass was an option that year that the mounting base is in place. If you would like some pics, I can help you out.

Jul 8, 2017
Hunter E33 Newbedford
I agree with post # 6 (Ice Breaker ) If anchoring is easy you will do it more often and in bad conditions its a must. Ive decided to get a Lewmar V3 with the drum if post #9 (Hello Below ) could send some pics that would be great. Thanks to every one for there opinions its very helpfull

Sep 11, 2011
Thats way too clean for an anchor locker.... where is the mold and algee?????? haha

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thats way too clean for an anchor locker.... where is the mold and algee?????? haha
Thanks . . . I think??? Since boat new 5 years ago, that ground tackle has been up and down more than 100 times. Funny the Manson Supreme label is still hanging on. Just.

Sep 11, 2011
Looks great. I wish I made the time to do the things I would like to do........maybe in retirement.