Seldon headstay attach fitting failure

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
I have a Bavaria 46 sailboat. We were out sailing yesterday and had a Forestay failure. It turned out to be a part that is listed for recall on a later model boat. It looks exactly like the same part and has a failure at the weld they talk about. We kept the rig vertical but had damage to the heel, t base, and some luff excursions. Does anyone have any info dealing with seldon over things like this?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A friend of mine with a Moody 46, had dealings with Seldon, through his rigger. They were helpful in some areas and others not. Think it had to do with some non Seldon parts used on the rig. Call them and ask the questions. They have a strong reputation to uphold.

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
I've left a few messages with them. All the parts are Seldon. I'm told my mast will have to be de stepped to repair the heel and base. I just had a rigging inspection 3 months ago, the rigger said everything looked good. Last year I replaced the Forestay and D2s.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well, You kept the mast vertical. Some consolation. Often times no mean feat.
Fingers crossed you have a happy outcome. Insurance?

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Here is an update. Picture of part that failed. It appears to have failed just as they describe in the recall. I wish I would have know I would have had it replaced in st Maarten last year when I replaced the Forestay.

Attachments