Selden mast - Mains halyard sheave

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Any idea how i could replace the sheave for my Mains halyard at mast top without lowering the mast?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
RESCINDED: I indeed did not look at rig and assumed masthead rig.

Go up on the other sheave. Check Rigrite for the sheaves needed.

I redid the entire masthead off-boat. I have heard tales of corrosion making removal of the axle a real nightmare.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am not sure if Apex is aware of the rig on this boat. As a former dealer who not only sold the Hunter 326, I even launched one with the mast up by crane off my trailer and over the bridge into Kerr Lake many years ago (not recommended to others on this type of launch). The mast is a B & R rig which does not incorporate a back stay, forestay attachment is 7/8's rig or 7/8's up the mast and standing rigging attachment as I recall does not go all the way up to the mast head. You have only the main halyard and topping lift that do go up all the way on the backside of the mast. What I am not clear on the masthead is the arrangement and attachment of the sheaves.
I have always urged caution and in this case, I would not recommend nor even attempt to go up the mast. Unless you have a yard that has a lift which can reach the masthead and an employee willing to go upgiven the fact the yard would even do it (many insurance companies would not cover this type of repair), I suggest dropping the mast. I know you are trying to save a few bucks here but sir your life is more important.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
On the bottom of your mast, just visible above the step, is a hand engraved serial number if it indeed a Selden mast. Get this number and call the fine folks at Selden and they will give you all the information and parts you need. They are the best source for their product.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not possible unless you are willing to be very creative and take some risks. Maybe a bettter job for a profesisonal rigger.

Because the boat is fractional, the only way to reach the masthead is via the main or topping lift halyards. The trick is those two sheaves share a common axle, and you cannot unload only one. So you would have to go up, transfer your suspended load to another secure point, and do the work.

You might want to take a quick trip up anyway. Unless someone can tell you definitively, you want to see if the sheaves are mounted in a way where they can be replaced in that orientation. Some are really set into the spar.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Any idea how i could replace the sheave for my Mains halyard at mast top without lowering the mast?
Hi Ken,

Below are two pics which Selden sent me back around 2001. I used them for planning the installation of a wind indicator. As you can see, both sets of sheaves will be in use as you climb the mast. One set for climbing and the other set for your safety line. Just can't see how you're going to remove that sheave unless you sprout wings. I feel your pain as that's going to cost bucks. Any mast towers in your neighbourhood ?

Rimg0001.jpg

Rimg0003.jpg

Oct 29, 2005
OOoo..Boy! It didn't occur to me that I'll be dismantling the very sheave that brings me up there!!
No mast tower around. Thanks Ralph.
Looks like I've to put more job items for the mast to make worthwhile to lower the mast.

Oct 29, 2005
All thanks for the info and guidance. Its a Selden mast for certain.
This is definitely a job for the yard.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Maybe rent an articulating man lift for the day when the boat is on the hard. Construction contractors rent them everywhere.

Oct 29, 2005
Maybe rent an articulating man lift for the day when the boat is on the hard. Construction contractors rent them everywhere.
Yup! That's a possibility. Thanks.