Selden In Mast Furling Main for Hunter 380

Sep 24, 2017
Hunter 380 Alameda
Hi:
Thanks for all who are helping me through my autopilot installation. I have finally settled on and Evolution 200 with the mechanical rotary steering. I am tying it to a new Raymarine C125 in the process hoping for a great outcome....more to come.
I am shaking down my boat now and I am having nightmares with furling the main. I have had furling sails before, but on this one the lower 1-2" of the tack are not feeding into the slot. It is getting caught against the mast and not allowing the main to furl easily. Sail unfurls fine (maybe too fine), but furling it is a bear. I am thinking my tack webbing may be old and needs to be tightened or repaired, but I'm certainly not looking forward to taking down the main. That has been tough as well. Feeding the main up the foil has been a real bear. So, any suggestions would be great.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Halyard tension can be a big problem, you really need a Dyneema line to maintain the proper tension.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi:
Thanks for all who are helping me through my autopilot installation. I have finally settled on and Evolution 200 with the mechanical rotary steering. I am tying it to a new Raymarine C125 in the process hoping for a great outcome....more to come.
I am shaking down my boat now and I am having nightmares with furling the main. I have had furling sails before, but on this one the lower 1-2" of the tack are not feeding into the slot. It is getting caught against the mast and not allowing the main to furl easily. Sail unfurls fine (maybe too fine), but furling it is a bear. I am thinking my tack webbing may be old and needs to be tightened or repaired, but I'm certainly not looking forward to taking down the main. That has been tough as well. Feeding the main up the foil has been a real bear. So, any suggestions would be great.
When furling, it helps quite a bit if the boat is on starboard tack slightly as the sail feeds into the slot smoother, or it least it does on my Selden rig.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Agree with Rick486, and the halyard tension comment. I occasionally find that the tack gets folded against the slot on my H36, thus preventing the furling process from starting. That can also come from not maintaining outhaul tension as you begin to furl. I can always free the tack manually, just by going forward and unfolding it. But I always keep a turn around the outhaul winch when furling. Usually does the trick.

Sep 24, 2017
Hunter 380 Alameda
Great suggestions, I appreciate the advice. I will be down on my boat later this week and let you all know.

Thanks again